Photo

My mod Idea..

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Chevar lost his mind? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Chevar lost his mind?

1. Yes, I'd have to say so (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

2. He's dreaming (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. It sounds interesting, but not for me (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. What's in it for me? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I'd consider helping. (15 votes [48.39%])

Percentage of vote: 48.39%

6. It's crazy enough that it could work. (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

7. Too many cooks spoil the stew! (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:59 PM

I'm in the planning stage of a new MOD. I thought I'd get some input - it's mostly an idea at the moment. I inspired I will be asking the modding community to submit NPC peasants from each of the different regional communities. This way everyone you talk to will have a small avatar, and a distinct personality.

The mod makers will be able to be part of creating the world and it's history.

------------------------------------------

well, that's my mod idea. now let's see what people think of it.. myself the other day while in here. I'm probably just being an idealist, but I'd like to start a mod that would require the modding community to participate in its creation.. otherwise I'll say to heck with it and just make it myself, which I don't think would be nearly as fun.

proposed features;

1) an all new map (completed)
2) dozens of areas that are new to the IE world - mostly ported from Diablo2.
3) Mostly short quests and dungeon crawls (module based)
4) Large enough map for longer more involved quest addons

that's the fairly boring part.. now for the interesting part. What I'm talking about is making a 'core' world for other mods to be added into. I plan to use any of the infinity engine maps, which will leave all of them open to modmakers.
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#2 -sheol16-

-sheol16-

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:07 PM

i would help, that is on the dialogue, i'm not much of a coder, but i'm learning. That is if you want sheol/NumTimes's help, i'm obviously not the forum's favorite member, so it's up to you.

#3 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:24 PM

i would help, that is on the dialogue, i'm not much of a coder,     but i'm learning. That is if you want sheol/NumTimes's      help, i'm obviously not the forum's favorite member, so it's up to you.

Neither am I :). You were the one talking about making it seem more real. I like the idea of having peasants that don't all say the exact same thing..

I'd love to head into the forums and say "hey I need 15 peasants, 10 harem girls, 5 guards, and a couple wandering adventurers, anyone interested?" and have each of them written by someone different.. characters you can have a conversation with without it having to pertain to some plot.. Rumors that are just that - rumors..

Edited by Chevar, 02 September 2004 - 10:33 PM.

"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#4 DevilishPope

DevilishPope

Hail to the Pope, baby.

• 108 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:35 PM

The idea of a community mod, is, as I said, a wonderful idea. After I get some more work done on my current side-project, I'll whip up a peasant or two. My dialogue coding skills are still a tad shabby, so it'll be excellent practice for it.
If you are interested in free mod hosting, PM me. I am willling to host a variety of Mods, from Baldur's Gate 2 to Doom 3 and beyond.

#5 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:42 PM

The idea of a community mod, is, as I said, a wonderful idea. After I get some more work done on my current side-project, I'll whip up a peasant or two. My dialogue coding skills are still a tad shabby, so it'll be excellent practice for it.

I'm still getting the graphical maps generated at the moment.. I'm mainly concerned with one town that there is a normal, and a destroyed copy of..

There are some planned addins that I'll be eventually putting out requests for.. I don't have my AD&D books anymore.. so when It spider cave time I'll be setting up the animations, and asking who wants to get the credit for creating phaze spiders, will all new graphics, and I have a three of four level spider cave that I'll be making maps for.. the idea is; here are all the resources you need, have at it.. that way I can spend more time making the different kingdom locations on the map..

Click on my link below. The current page is crappy and has frames, but Yasu's helping me fix that.

clicking on the name of the project on the left will display the large area map if i remember correctly.

Project Forum

#6 -sheol16-

-sheol16-

Posted 02 September 2004 - 11:39 PM

as soon as i finish my werewolf npc, or maybe while, probably the latter, i'll work on some dialogue now that i understand the whole coding thing. On your website the inventory snapshot for the GUI skin mod doesn't work. I could probably make some good discussions. It's all about the little things ^_^

#7 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 02:02 AM

as soon as i finish my werewolf npc, or maybe while, probably the latter, i'll work on some dialogue now that i understand the whole coding thing. On your website the inventory snapshot for the GUI skin mod doesn't work. I could probably make some good discussions. It's all about the little things ^_^

the wep bage was looking for inventory, the file name was Inventory.. i fixed it..

Project Forum

#8 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 02:47 PM

I would love to help out with this, i was always bothered how all the peasants could be related to the same person. I'm thinking that maybe you should be able to code it to where on a few peasants you could kill them if they provoke a fight with you, or something like that. I'm working on a mod, but always have time to do other things.
Black Wyrm Forums host of the World Transition Project, Beastial Animations, and much more!

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

Like dealing with terrorists by giving them explosives. -NotMrT

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

#9 Lady LeFay

Lady LeFay

The Resident Perverted Freak

• 320 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 05:45 PM

I could see if I can squeeze in a few serf dialouges between my own mod writing
"This Rod will be your doom!" -- Kilik.
"Do you know how much that turns me on, Ki?"
"Maxi! I'm trying to be serious here!" -- Maxi and Kilik

When angry, count to four; when very angry, swear. -- Mark Twain

To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity.
Oscar Wilde

And alien tears will fill for him Pity's long-broken urn, For his mourners will be outcast men, And outcasts always mourn.

Dante Romancable Mod: 'Tis a courtly love of a different sort

#10 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:15 PM

I'm not at a point of being ready yet. I'm working on the graphical part of the maps right now.. and still have alot to do..

The first major thing on my agenda has been taken care of.. I finally managed to secure a copy of TOB.

I'm not building a world with strict rules, where everything has to be a certain way, or follow one persons idea of thing. The map is large enough for people to adapt other mods into it. I'll be releasing a demo after I get the start city prepared for population.

One of the NPC's in the start city will be a 'mapmaker' who will add locations to the players map based on the mods loaded. When I get to that point I'll be living in the scripting help forums. All a mod maker will need to do is add
their '??map.itm' to the latest version of the mapmaker character's shop inventory.

Edited by Chevar, 03 September 2004 - 06:29 PM.

Project Forum

#11 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:08 PM

It looks excellent, I would be happy to contribute- however the Valen Expansion is taking up most of my time.

I still think I have some stuff scattered about my hard drives that could be useful and I'm fairly good at digging up source material.

Maybe I can contribute in that capacity?

Mod in Progress: Valen Expansion

#12 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:37 PM

I like the idea of this mod, and i like the map. But how do you plan on incorporating the new map thingy ma-bobs(can't think of the word for it). Don't all the mods use the original world map, things could get jumbled up, or not work at all. And what do you mean by not using any rules. Is this an entirely new game, because that would be really cool. People bored with the old BG2, could play BG2 1/2. I think i am really confused, but i like the ideas of what you plan on doing. Perhaps you could explain it a little more thoroughly. :thumb:  This is like creating an entirely new game.

I'm still in the planning stages.. I don't have all the details to provide yet. If you click on my link image below it will bring you to my page. I'm being hosted by black wyrm and will be getting a forum set up over there after I get all my ducks lined up.

I - on my other computer, the one with the busted floppy drive, have a copy of the worldmap (reduced just slightly in size) which replaces worldmap.mos quite nicely. The world is divided into zones of inflewence.

The current concept I'm considering is allowing different modding groups to take charge of different map regions. so each of the region has an administrative group which help coordinate what goes where in their zones. Each zone will have a "start" map location which can be purchased through the Fort Unity mapmaker.

I want to see if it's possible to script the shopkeeper so that he will alternate between two different "stores" or scripts through dialog, allow for updates in his scripts or vendor list to be updated without having to restart the game. I don't know if that can be done.

So once you leave Fort Unity you enter the realm of a modding group. each region will therefore have their own history, and storylines that cross boarders will be negotiated between groups.

I plan on using slightly smaller map location markers, but still have to test it. In theory this should be possible through simply using a smaller image, and more transparent area.

Mind you I'm still just brainstorming, and not ready for a proper description of the project. The idea is for the modding community to work together to make one big 'supermod' together. everyone get's there due..

As I have it currently the world is segregated by race. Each group would control one race within the world. Including race specific kits if they so choose. I'm not planning on making additional kits for general characters. I'd like each race to have their own special kits, eventually.

The problem with this logic is that there are plenty of Drow fans out there, and very few for half-orcs or halflings.

There are some realms which are not controlled by any specific race. These are reserved for major mod development.

There are four monster regions of control - a dragon controled volcanic island (Reserved for MOD), the undead realm, goblin realm, The Yaun-Ti realm, and the orcish realm.

The orcish realms will have control over half-orc characters.

Draong isle is reserved for a single high level mod. The isle of the dead, according to the initial story is where an ancient evil of unknown power overtook an ancient burial site, and is ammasing a force which it eventually plans to use to extinguish all life.. but that in the story the map was made for.. what the people incharge of the realm do with it is completely upto them.

The Yaun-Ti realm, once again it's up to the people in charge of the area, but it's an area of inflewence controlled by the sentient reptilian races.. but the Yaun-ti have the real power - they have to, they have more animation variations.

Fort Unity is a place where all races are welcomed, a place of tolerance.. or in other words a place where a Yaunti, Goblin, Undead, Orc or whatever can go to recruit help, or to trick someone to come home for 'dinner'.

Edited by Chevar, 03 September 2004 - 09:06 PM.

Project Forum

#13 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:54 PM

Did you make the world map by yourself? I seriously like the zoomed in version. I know you are still in the "brainstorming" process, but will we modders be able to modify the world map in our areas, such as removing things if we want to add something that will have to do with the history, such as a tower, a lake, a fire, etc. Do you have a thread going at black wyrm and would you rather me post there instead? I do need to get an account set up there anyways.

you are editing the heck out of your posts :thumb: i'm not sure what part to read first. :lol: hah, i'm doing the same thing.

Edited by Awake, 03 September 2004 - 09:34 PM.

Black Wyrm Forums host of the World Transition Project, Beastial Animations, and much more!

#14 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:08 PM

Did you make the world map by yourself? I seriously like the zoomed in version. I know you are still in the "brainstorming" process,  but will we modders be able to modify the world map in our areas, such as removing things if we want to add something that will have to do with the history, such as a tower, a lake, a fire, etc. Do you have a thread going at black wyrm and would you rather me post there instead? I do need to get an account set up there anyways.

The world map was made with the game "Age of Wonders" I can modify it as much as is needed, within the confines of the scenario editor.. I set it up that way so I can change aspects of the map.

Wow, i edited the heck out of my previous post..

I'll be getting my own forum for the project on blackwyrm in the near future. I want to get some more maps prepped first. I have one citymap (graphic only) online, but it's not linked with the page at this time.the JPG of the area is 5.2meg. It's huge.. It's for the desert kingdom region - not race specific.. but hey they get a harem, so I guess there's a benefit there. (or at least the two palace levels were made for a harem) lots of pillows on the floor etc..

The frigian realm (barbarian frozen north) I already plan on editing, and enlarging a bit.. There are too many maps with ice available for modding, curtesy of icewind dale.

I also can generate a copy of the 'harem' with corpses all over the place (these maps are ported from Diablo2, so there's alot of pregenerated maps I can put out.)

Now let's see who's been paying attention. What character race have I not mentioned?

Edited by Chevar, 03 September 2004 - 09:58 PM.

Project Forum

#15 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:55 PM

*Insert jeopardy theme* Who are the dwarves?

I swear you added drow after i posted this the first time.

Edited by Awake, 03 September 2004 - 10:01 PM.

#16 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:07 PM

*Insert jeopardy theme* Who are the dwarves?

I swear you added drow after i posted this the first time.

I've been adding to my posts.. been posting a little getting coffee, posting more, getting a smoke, and finishing..

Actualy the dwarves are covered. NW island. The halflings, for the moment are in my area.. but I've made no mention of Gnomes.

Personally I never have liked Gnomes. I desperately want to replace the entire race.. then again I've considered trading out Half-Elves for Tieflings as well.. but I REALLY want to replace the gnomes, unless there's a serious public outcry to keep them.

Project Forum

#17 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:15 PM

argh!
you could start another poll, but i think you should get rid of gnomes. Alah(that's his name right?), really brought down my previous perspective of gnomes. I say get rid of them. And for the half-elves, why be a half-elf if you can be a teifling. Good ideas. If i get some dialogue done for a peasant or some such, where do you want me to post it or do you want me to PM you?

#18 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:10 PM

argh!
you could start another poll, but i think you should get rid of gnomes. Alah(that's his name right?), really brought down my previous perspective of gnomes. I say get rid of them. And for the half-elves, why be a half-elf if you can be a teifling. Good ideas. If i get some dialogue done for a peasant or some such, where do you want me to post it or do you want me to PM you?

I've never been a big fan of the half-elf 'race'.. one elf,
and one human get together poof half elf,
half elf gets together with human poof 1/4 elf,
1/4 elf get's together with elf, poof 5/8th elf.
The very confused 5/18th elf get's together with a drawf poof Half-orc (Kidding)

It would be better to assume there are some elves with some human blood but not enough to loose their elf abilities, and the same holds true for the reverse.

Being a little bit country (elf) and a little bit rock-n-roll (human) is fine and danady, but it sounds more like it should have been left as character background instead of calling them a race IMHO. All I'd need to do is swap the name. easy enough..

As for Gnomes.. well, honestly, it's really hard to come up with anything that would be suitable for gnomes mapwise.. unless someone out there has a city that would be fitting for a gnome capitol, I can't find a way to integrate them, so I'd rather try to come up with something to sneak into one of the planned sentient groups (yaunti, goblin, undead).. so I was thinking Trelfs. but that would take a lot of explaining.

I better get some sleep.. I finally got my hands on TOB (with the bonus items disk), so I have a lot of poking around to do tommorow..

Edited by Chevar, 03 September 2004 - 11:12 PM.

Project Forum

#19 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:21 PM

It's looking really good so far. I forgot what Tiax is, though, so if he's a gnome, he could be the ruler of a gnome city. A dream come true. other than that, i don't think gnomes are such a good idea. I too need some sleep, i've been working a lot on a couple of mods, descriptions not to be released until 75% done, so i'm going to go to my room, read The Token, the .ids, and the Variable, and go to sleep. I have no clue what a trelf is.

forget the sleep part, i can't

Edited by Awake, 03 September 2004 - 11:27 PM.

#20 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:20 AM

I don't mind helping, but all I can do is to make items (from scratch and altering others) :mellow: Atm I am learning to make kits and then I hope to make a simple NPC :thumb:

:turnip:

Edited by Felstorm, 04 September 2004 - 12:21 AM.

Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image