Photo

My mod Idea..

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: Has Chevar lost his mind? (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Has Chevar lost his mind?

1. Yes, I'd have to say so (3 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

2. He's dreaming (4 votes [12.90%])

Percentage of vote: 12.90%

3. It sounds interesting, but not for me (1 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. What's in it for me? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I'd consider helping. (15 votes [48.39%])

Percentage of vote: 48.39%

6. It's crazy enough that it could work. (6 votes [19.35%])

Percentage of vote: 19.35%

7. Too many cooks spoil the stew! (2 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 01:18 AM

this is kind of OT, but is there such thing as a complex NPC, and what is it. I think the fact that you can make items is great, i've tried so freaking hard it's not funny. They never work out for me.
Black Wyrm Forums host of the World Transition Project, Beastial Animations, and much more!

And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted - nevermore!

Like dealing with terrorists by giving them explosives. -NotMrT

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.

#22 dragon_lord

dragon_lord
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 07:48 AM

Sounds pretty interesting! I would really love to be able to go nuts and make up an entire land with anything I like. I would definately like some more details on this: Are the starting cities for each of the regions made by you or the individual mod makers? Are the region mod makers able to add whatever areas they like to their region using whatever area tiles they like (from bg2, iwd etc)? Do you have a list of all the races that you know, at this stage, you will have regions for? I take it there's a human region? I ask because I have a crazy idea involving the player being able to build their own castle which I would love to implement into a human region. Some areas of the map dont look like there's alot of room to put new areas in. Can you change the dimensions/castle locations etc of the map easily? (I was getting Heroes of Might and Magic 3 flashbacks looking at it btw ^_^ )

The current concept I'm considering is allowing different modding groups to take charge of different map regions. so each of the region has an administrative group which help coordinate what goes where in their zones. Each zone will have a "start" map location which can be purchased through the Fort Unity mapmaker.

By modding groups do you mean several modders get together to take control of one region or do you mean modding groups like FW/PPG/black wyrm have set regions? Which ever it is you're going to want them to meet regularly so everyone knows what everyone else is doing/can ask for help on something.

Edited by dragon_lord, 04 September 2004 - 07:51 AM.

Maintainer of the Dragon's Hoard Download Center
Member of the World Transition Project
The Items Mart - A comprehensive guide to item locations with maps for BG2
Portrait City - The largest collection of portraits for BG2 on the net.

#23 Ragnar

Ragnar
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:08 AM

I would definitely consider helping in a project like this :thumb:
Some idea's were throw around on this topic that might prove useful to this project
Magus: "If history is to change, let it change! If their world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!"

Vash: "Normally when you buy an old, used bike, you're supposed to repair it before riding it!"
Wolfwood: "Are you dissing my beautiful shiny Angelina II?!?"
Vash: "I'm dissing YOU, not your stupid broken bike!"

It's all happening here

#24 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:08 AM

Sounds pretty interesting! I would really love to be able to go nuts and make up an entire land with anything I like. I would definately like some more details on this: Are the starting cities for each of the regions made by you or the individual mod makers? Are the region mod makers able to add whatever areas they like to their region using whatever area tiles they like (from bg2, iwd etc)? Do you have a list of all the races that you know, at this stage, you will have regions for? I take it there's a human region? I ask because I have a crazy idea involving the player being able to build their own castle which I would love to implement into a human region. Some areas of the map dont look like there's alot of room to put new areas in. Can you change the dimensions/castle locations etc of the map easily? (I was getting Heroes of Might and Magic 3 flashbacks looking at it btw ^_^ )

The current concept I'm considering is allowing different modding groups to take charge of different map regions. so each of the region has an administrative group which help coordinate what goes where in their zones. Each zone will have a "start" map location which can be purchased through the Fort Unity mapmaker.

By modding groups do you mean several modders get together to take control of one region or do you mean modding groups like FW/PPG/black wyrm have set regions? Which ever it is you're going to want them to meet regularly so everyone knows what everyone else is doing/can ask for help on something.

As far as map icons go.. if you are near the icon it doesn't light up, only when you're actually on it, so the transparent part of the map icon is NOT important.

I only have four new cities currently. I'm trying to make arrangements for a 5th, but that particular city will be for a mod, so I'm not too focused on it at the moment. It's a city that has an intact, and ruined version.

Most of the areas in the Addons. will be reused, or modified from BG/BG2/IWD/IWD2 and PST. If you're motivated I'll try and get the WORLDMAP.MOS added online along with some of my racial city, and generic map icon graphics. (raw images) That way you can grab the map pack.. The regular bg2 icons will still show on it (wherever they would be on the regular map). Just start working on it, start it as normal BG2 modwork It can later be integrated. I'm going to make a list of "used maps from IE games" so there wont be much overlap.

The maps I'm working on are for theme projects, and special locations primarily. The desert kingdom, not race specific, is getting one special map (Diablo 2 Lut Golen) for it's capitol - they don't get full control of a race, so they get a new map. The barbarian region also get's a new map (Diablo 2 Hagoroth) for the same reason. The undead region get's a nice cemetary to play with for one of their crypt cities. The Yaunti get a city as well (Diablo 2 Kurast), and I've not decided what do do for a goblin city. I also have a stack of castle 3d models which I'll be trying to find a way to adapt when I'm further into the project..

Any mods created to integrate into TW can be made as BG2 mod, and integrated into the full project after it enters the beta stage. Preexisting mods can of course be adapted.

The only thing to keep in mind is that to keep the feel of the game more real there is not going to be a central plot, and chapters. I'm not looking for a linear world. Placing a 'new' identical map icon over a preexisting one will replace that map, as in the case with d'narse (sp) keep. So the world can evolve as the player adventures.

The plot size will vary based on the work of the realm masters. Two regions can go to war if two realm masters work together to coordinate it. There's the possibility of a 'timeline' while playing.. I want to see what the game and modding community is truely capable of. Primarily, I want to get the ball rolling, and see how big the snowball gets!
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#25 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 09:19 AM

I would definitely consider helping in a project like this :thumb:
Some idea's were throw around on this topic that might prove useful to this project

Oh, I should mention. I plan on taking the role of world administrator, when all is said and done. Afterall, I'm the one that can edit the worldmap.

There have been plenty of people batting around ideas like this for a while. I just want to try and make it happen, instead of just talking about it. The only REAL requirements are basic ones.

1) Check to see what areas have already been claimed.
2) Try to keep it balanced.
3) Ask before crossing borders with your addins.
4) try to avoid lame plotlines like "you're the child of an evil god!"
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#26 DevilishPope

DevilishPope

Hail to the Pope, baby.

• 108 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 11:50 AM

I ask because I have a crazy idea involving the player being able to build their own castle which I would love to implement into a human region.

Depends on how exactly you are thinking. You couldn't make your own design in-game, you would be restricted to the design that the modder made,*but* you could make a quest where you would get the deed to land, and then hire people to build you a castle over time giving them money, and doing varying supplies/objects/quests. It would have to be done with a huge variance of globals and varying area maps that change upon upgrade. I believe you can carry items over through map changes though, so it would be possible to use storage containers or parts of the map not affected by the upgrades. Overall it would be time consuming but doable.
If you are interested in free mod hosting, PM me. I am willling to host a variety of Mods, from Baldur's Gate 2 to Doom 3 and beyond.

#27 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:26 PM

I've never been a big fan of the half-elf 'race'.. one elf,

I went here, http://members.black...air.net/Chevar/ but it said that one of the realms was for half-elves, either you haven't changed it yet, or you haven't decided.
Black Wyrm Forums host of the World Transition Project, Beastial Animations, and much more!

#28 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 04:33 PM

I've never been a big fan of the half-elf 'race'.. one elf,

I went here, http://members.black...air.net/Chevar/ but it said that one of the realms was for half-elves, either you haven't changed it yet, or you haven't decided.

Haven't decided actually.. Have a lot of things in the works, and more things to test. Next week I start work on the developer's beta

Project Forum

#29 dragon_lord

dragon_lord
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:48 PM

Depends on how exactly you are thinking. You couldn't make your own design in-game, you would be restricted to the design that the modder made,*but* you could make a quest where you would get the deed to land, and then hire people to build you a castle over time giving them money, and doing varying supplies/objects/quests. It would have to be done with a huge variance of globals and varying area maps that change upon upgrade. I believe you can carry items over through map changes though, so it would be possible to use storage containers or parts of the map not affected by the upgrades. Overall it would be time consuming but doable.

What I had in mind was that you come to an area where you find a construction company who are travelling through looking for their next project. You can then hire them to build your castle starting from something basic (if you like) and then adding extra things (like catapults). So the first thing you could build would be a manor (pic - guess where I made that from ;) ) and then add from there (changing to a different area). Some added things like catapults could easily be done with open/close state of tiles.

Chevar:
I'm going to make a list of "used maps from IE games" so there wont be much overlap.

That isnt much of a problem for me since I'm making tiles from bg2, so I can make areas that look completely different. I'm working on a forest tile set atm.

#30 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:05 PM

How would you use the catapults? or are these just scenery items?
to chevar:
I am seriously confused, i was thinking i knew what to do, but now i'm not sure. Is the PC going to be a child of bhaal or some thing like that still. Yes i did read this:

what is the history behind the pc, that is almost crucial to making this. Such as dialogue, quests, etc. Is <CHARNAME> just a basic adventurer, I've read everything so far posted in this thread, but i don't know where fort unity is, is this in the human realm, elf realm, in the middle of all the realms, that would make sense, a point where all the realms touch each other. Like the inn from bg1, i forgot the name of it, but where no fighting is allowed.

#31 dragon_lord

dragon_lord
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:41 PM

Mostly just scenery (like they are in bg2) but I might put invisible creatures on them that can 'act' like they are the catapult.

#32 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:59 PM

to chevar:
I am seriously confused, i was thinking i knew what to do, but now i'm not sure. Is the PC going to be a child of bhaal or some thing like that still. Yes i did read this:

what is the history behind the pc, that is almost crucial to making this. Such as dialogue, quests, etc. Is <CHARNAME> just a basic adventurer, I've read everything so far posted in this thread, but i don't know where fort unity is, is this in the human realm, elf realm, in the middle of all the realms, that would make sense, a point where all the realms touch each other. Like the inn from bg1, i forgot the name of it, but where no fighting is allowed.

no more child of baal!

-------------------------
Fort Unity is a waypoint built at the close of the last great war. The world of Mytera was once ruled by a powerful empire based in the center of the continent. The empire, and the site of the capitol are little more than ash and rubble now. Racial strife tore apart the great empire thousands of years ago.

An undead hoard arose from the depths of an ancient graveyard, and sought to destroy all life in Mytera. To stop the advances of the undead hoards a group of mages, later known as the lightbringers, cast a spell over the land to insure the sun would never set. There was indeed prosperity for a time, but only within the lighted lands. All those from the shadows sought were kept from entering the light.

The reptilian races united to fight for their own salvation, for without the sun they would all freeze to death. The goblins considered it a betrayal, for they were left in the shadow, where there was no rest from the onslaught of the undead.

The dwarves were closest to the source of the undead, and had to flee from their ancient halls, and were offered sanctuary by the halflings.

As the shadow dwellers fought to escape from the ravaging hoards of undead, the empires crops began to fail under the relentless warmth of the sun. Crops outside of the barrier were destroyed by the cold.

The emperors palace was torn down brick by brick. The lightbringers, and their tower fortress simply vanished.. With the lightbringers gone the sun finally set for the first time in 20 years. The undead took advantage of the darkness to launch an all out assault on the surface world. This was known as the 'long dark' when the sun rose again the force which had lead the undead into battle was slain by it's piercing rays.

Fort unity was once a dwarven outpost. After the fall of the Limner empire Fort unity was established on the site of the old fort as a reminder that without the balance between light and darkness the world will die.

The fort still stands as a reminder, even now, nearly two thousand years later.

---------------------------

Many forsake their heritage, and put down their spade to draw arms, seeking fame and fortune. The life of a farmer, nobleman, serf, blacksmith, merchant and so forth can be honorable and rewarding. Yet, for some the draw of adventure is where the sweet necter of life truely lies. They are blown by the winds each seeking something else, but all of them crave the adventures life has to offer.

---------------------------

I hope that is a good enough answer for now..

Project Forum

#33 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 07:00 PM

Mostly just scenery (like they are in bg2) but I might put invisible creatures on them that can 'act' like they are the catapult.

If you don't mind some really strange looking catipults, I do have animations.. admiddedly I have more pressing matters to attend to.

Project Forum

#34 Awake

Awake
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 07:44 PM

I thought you were still in the "brainstorming" stage. :lol: Looks like you've put a lot of thought into this project, i will be more than happy to do what i can, once i know what needs doing. That was quite the description, and will do nicely. :thumb: Unfortunately i can't make any dialogue for the peasants etc. until i know more about the cities that they will be in, which will have to wait until more people say what they are going to do to help. anyway, i have work to do.

#35 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 10:11 PM

I thought you were still in the "brainstorming" stage. :lol:  Looks like you've put a lot of thought into this project, i will be more than happy to do what i can, once i know what needs doing. That was quite the description, and will do nicely. :thumb:  Unfortunately i can't make any dialogue for the peasants etc. until i know more about the cities that they will be in, which will have to wait until more people say what they are going to do to help. anyway, i have work to do.

Don't need anything yet.. I just finished the first map area. I have to take care of the surrounding areas over the next couple days. The south exit goes straight to the worldmap.. the north exits will be going to adjoining areas.. like in BG2, except the sub areas will not have map locations - you'll have to walk back to the fort.. or at least that's the plan.. It gives the characters a chance to leave the fort and explore the ruins. These maps are for the ruins. of the old fortress. Not much left of it these days.

It's being written as a TOB mod - those seem to be the only kind these days. It will be implemented under the TOB menu of the initial start screen, or at least that's the tenative plan.

Correction; I finished the map graphics.. I still haven't generated the ingame map.

Edited by Chevar, 04 September 2004 - 10:12 PM.

Project Forum

#36 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 08:19 PM

I thought you were still in the "brainstorming" stage. :lol:  Looks like you've put a lot of thought into this project, i will be more than happy to do what i can, once i know what needs doing. That was quite the description, and will do nicely. :thumb:  Unfortunately i can't make any dialogue for the peasants etc. until i know more about the cities that they will be in, which will have to wait until more people say what they are going to do to help. anyway, i have work to do.

Don't need anything yet.. I just finished the first map area. I have to take care of the surrounding areas over the next couple days. The south exit goes straight to the worldmap.. the north exits will be going to adjoining areas.. like in BG2, except the sub areas will not have map locations - you'll have to walk back to the fort.. or at least that's the plan.. It gives the characters a chance to leave the fort and explore the ruins. These maps are for the ruins. of the old fortress. Not much left of it these days.

It's being written as a TOB mod - those seem to be the only kind these days. It will be implemented under the TOB menu of the initial start screen, or at least that's the tenative plan.

Correction; I finished the map graphics.. I still haven't generated the ingame map.

Hmm two setbacks today.. My forum was supposed to go public today over at BW, but it's not yet..

Also had a setback with my map generator software... two down lots more to go.

had to post today anyway. Someone finally managed to come up with a project summary that works..

the general idea is as follows;

I have created a worldmap, and am in the process of creating areas leading from map to map untill the entire world is complete. It's will be, with exception of the section I make a mod in, a hollow shell waiting for moders, and questmakers to fill it in.

Project Forum

#37 dragon_lord

dragon_lord
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:30 PM

Any idea when you will have a modders 'SDK' (documentation on pre-existing lore - fort unity etc) ready? I ask because I probably wont be ready to start any work for a few weeks (I want to get as much done on Julia as I can). Until then you can tentatively mark me down for the human region.

#38 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:53 PM

Any idea when you will have a modders 'SDK' (documentation on pre-existing lore - fort unity etc) ready? I ask because I probably wont be ready to start any work for a few weeks (I want to get as much done on Julia as I can). Until then you can tentatively mark me down for the human region.

Fort unity is graphically ready. I have to do some of the outlining areas. On the map the Fort is just below the old Dwaven fortress, which is just south of the frigian boarder. to the east lies the Yaunti, to the south east is the elven empire, to the west are the human kingdoms..

I'm trying to save most of the material for the mods official forum.. i'm just waiting for it to open - I've been having to copy my notes over there from here.

I have an update for the page as well, but i'm having FTP problems..

If you want you can take a look at the map preview map for FORT UNITY.

It's not the correct version - I had to increase gamma correction by 30%. that's actually the night map without the bue filter applied.

Footnote; You may want to start thinking on which maps you want to reserve. The elves may be a united community, but for humans that's not possible. And you are neighbors with the desert kingdom (evil empire). and the halls of the (un)dead are to the north west. it's a good spot :)

Edited by Chevar, 06 September 2004 - 09:59 PM.

Project Forum

#39 dragon_lord

dragon_lord
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:10 PM

Footnote; You may want to start thinking on which maps you want to reserve. The elves may be a united community, but for humans that's not possible. And you are neighbors with the desert kingdom (evil empire).

Hmm. If thats the case then some kind of 'no mans land' would be good where past (and probably current) battles between the human region and the desert kingdom have been fought. Maybe even the humans have lost a city to them -> the player could even enlist in an army to get it back. Ahh the possibilities are endless! :lol:

Edited by dragon_lord, 06 September 2004 - 10:13 PM.

#40 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:16 PM

Footnote;

The project has been underway Here.

The regions for Fort Unity, The Elven Empire, The Human kingdoms are all spoken for.

The three evil empires are still looking for leaders, as well as the remainder of the playable types.

I'm starting to think the hardest one to fill will be halflings. I think I'll combine them with the gnomes.

Project Forum