Photo

BP-Ascension-Redemption Compatibility

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 06:25 PM

sorry i copied this to the thread where it should be....feel free to delete....(and soz)

Edited by Radagast-The-Brown, 17 September 2004 - 07:01 PM.

Ignorance Is Bliss

#2 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:05 PM

I think it is checking the WeiDu log file for Ascension. Just edit the log file. Find someone who has it installed and have them send you a copy. Add the lines regarding Ascension install to your log file.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#3 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:18 PM

Though i understand what u say Chevalier, i do NOT know if i should install redemption 1.2 over ascension 1.2 perhaps it would mess up my game...i must know first about the compatibility issue. And u say find someone to send u the log file....its not that easy to find someone to do that... besides who would bother to send me something like that?
Ignorance Is Bliss

#4 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 07:55 PM

It has been awhile that I actually checked Redemption tp2.

Here is the block that checks for Ascension being installed:

REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Dialog.bif~
@1 // ToB sanity check
REQUIRE_FILE ~override/BODHIND.2da~
@2 // Ascension check

Basically if you have the BODHIND.2da file in your override -- you are all set. Since BP should put it there for you Redemption will install over BP. By the way, Ascension 1.4 is only listed as 'recommended' weidu version. As in if you install it stand alone. As far as I know the good old Redemption mod should install over BP (as it was listed in some or another old list of compatible mods.)

Now, I am positive that LR would not be compatible for the reasons that it checks for Ascension in a different manner... Bummer. I just realised that hardcoding Ascension into BP made BP incompatible with LR for sure...

Edited by dorotea, 17 September 2004 - 07:55 PM.

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

Nikolai Berdyaev - Christian Existentialist, Philosopher of Freedom.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#5 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:28 PM

i did what u said dorotea but i got a warning on install :
WARNING cannot find block matching [redemption/bcs/AR6200asc.bcs]

looks like the hardwired ascension is not good enough...it cant find the area which supposed to be in ascension??? What do u say?

anyway thanks for your help and keep up the good work......
Ignorance Is Bliss

#6 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 08:37 PM

This is a really curious error... Hmm, can you be so kind as to find a file called ar6200.bcs in your override and email it to me at ladydorotea@hotmail.com?

I wonder if your version of BP has Ascension at all... since area 6200 is Throne of Blood itself and it is heavily modified by Ascension. If Redemption cannot find the block it is looking for I fear your Ascension would not run properly either.

I never installed BP and have no idea what they did to Ascension, but ar6200 is vital for Ascension mod to work properly (as well as Redemption).

Freedom cannot be equated with goodness, virtue, or perfection. Freedom has its own unique self-contained nature; freedom is freedom ? not universal goodness. Any confusion or deliberate equalization of freedom with goodness and excellence is in itself negation of freedom, and acceptance of the path of restraint and enforcement.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#7 -shiva-

-shiva-

Posted 17 September 2004 - 09:33 PM

could this be a patch for seanus' fix sight?

#8 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 11:43 PM

Ascension is indeed in BP. However, I'm guessing that one of the blocks you modified to replace an existing block Ascension coded, has been altered already by BP. Thus, there is no matching target.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#9 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:01 PM

Ascension is indeed in BP. However, I'm guessing that one of the blocks you modified to replace an existing block Ascension coded, has been altered already by BP. Thus, there is no matching target.

any way of solving the problem?? or do i stay with ascension 1.2 only??? i guess longer road is out of the question so i need redemption....if there is a way :(
Ignorance Is Bliss

#10 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:20 PM

removed

Edited by Sir-Kill, 18 September 2004 - 02:23 PM.

Live Free Or Die

#11 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:33 PM

"ascension is hard wired into bp" so yes

thanks for being specific...we all understand your point... so yes (kounia pu se kounage)
Ignorance Is Bliss

#12 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:49 PM

removed

Edited by Sir-Kill, 18 September 2004 - 02:23 PM.

Live Free Or Die

#13 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 01:59 PM

i know sir-kill i know....when i quoted for u i meant it ironically-since u didnt get it i tell u....(u werent specific at all if u didnt figure that out yet) anyway the problem is of another nature since u didnt get it...the redemption install had a problem... (but since u say u know nothing why am i even saying this?)
Ignorance Is Bliss

#14 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 02:16 PM

Ok, Radagast.

Looking at the file you sent me I can see that the only difference between the block Redemption is looking for in Ascension 1.4 and the file from BP
is this:

my version ( ie weidu standalone Ascension 1.4+)

IF
Dead("finiren") // Jon Irenicus
OR(2)
  Dead("finbodh") // Bodhi
  Global("BodhiFights","GLOBAL",1)
Dead("finsolar") // Fallen Solar
!Exists([ENEMY])
Global("SetForceWalkwayTimer","AR6200",0)
Global("FinalFight","AR6200",3)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("SetForceWalkwayTimer","AR6200",1)
  SetGlobalTimer("ForceWalkway","AR6200",30)
END

your file (ie from BP)

IF
Dead("finiren") // Jon Irenicus
OR(2)
  Dead("finbodh") // Bodhi
  Global("BodhiFights","GLOBAL",1)
Dead("finsolar") // Fallen Solar
!Exists([ENEMY])
Global("SetForceWalkwayTimer","AR6200",0)
Global("FinalFight","AR6200",3)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
  SetGlobal("SetForceWalkwayTimer","AR6200",1)
  SetGlobalTimer("ForceWalkway","AR6200",0)
END

-- the timer is set to '0' not to '30'

I am making a patch for you -- a file that you will need to drop into Redemption\bcs folder before installing Redemption.

If you see any other errors after that -- email me. I think I can gradually make a 'special' version of Rdemption that will work with hard-wired Ascension.

As for LR -- grr... it will be a slow and painful process...

I first need to download BP and see what other changes does it do to various ToB area scripts... Once again it is quite possible to make a compatible version of LR. As of now LR checks for 2 different Ascension components.

Guys -- can you tell me if BP includes all of the 'Improved' enemies as well as final battle ?

Edited by dorotea, 18 September 2004 - 02:17 PM.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#15 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:35 PM

its all working fine dorotea thanks a lot....i didnt get the timer thing though u mentioned...sorry...
As for your question, as far as i know the bp has most of tactics options (including all improved--the trolls & illlithids beat me REAL hard for instance) and since it has ascension hardwired it also has the improved bhaalspawn and demogorgon....The one thing im not sure is that if improved battles is in BP...as far as ive played the parties were very easy so i assume that the parties improvements dont exist in BP...

If i make any mistake here that anyone knows plz tell me....
Ignorance Is Bliss

#16 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

Hi guys -- whoever is maintaining the BP. Can you please verify that this is indeed the case with ar6200.bcs? If you want I can email you the change I did for Radagast and update the Setup-Redemption.exe as well. I believe the one on my site has been updated to 158.

I cannot put htis change into my own maintained version since then it will be incompatible with Ascension stand alone...

Edited by dorotea, 18 September 2004 - 04:44 PM.

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#17 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:10 PM

hi dorotea

i guess i'm the closest to a BP maintainer at the moment. my copy of ar6200.bcs does indeed have the line:

SetGlobalTimer("ForceWalkway","AR6200",0)

so it would appear to be a BP-specific change - a typo, i guess.

if you could email me the fix to seanasagain@yahoo.com.au i can include it in the BP Fixpack - or i could make a REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK myself i guess :wacko: .

re: the Five. yes, BP *does* improve each of them, but not AFAIK, in precisely the same manner that Tactics and Oversight improve the Five. having not played Redemption *either* (sorry!), i don't know if you need their scripts to be the same in each install, or just more difficult than the original. i can do a compare-n-contrast on their scripts (ie BP vs. Tactics/Oversight) tomorrow, if you want. is there anything specific you would want me to be looking for, or are you looking for any/all variations from the Tactics/Oversight improvements?

re: BP-Redemption compatibility. i notice that someone else has posted a ChSound.cpp at line number 4905 Assertion error. is this likely to be a problem with added sound files, or a corrputed file in the user's install? and what information would you need in order to be able to decide between these two possibilities?

i look forward to a BP-compatible Redemption: it's always good to make an enormous game even longer! :P

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#18 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:45 PM

i guess seanas that now redemption IS compatible (few have played it and i cant understand why)and ill be the first to test it hehe...:))) i can report any bugs i see in it while playing it....:))
Ignorance Is Bliss

#19 dorotea

dorotea

witch extraordinaire

• Modder
  • 1927 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:50 PM

Here be 3 questions in 1 and I shall try to split the answer onto 3 as well.

1. Firstly there is this change in BP-Ascension hard-wired.

SetGlobalTimer("ForceWalkway","AR6200",0) might be a typo as original is

SetGlobalTimer("ForceWalkway","AR6200",30)

If you fix your package there is no need for my fix -- if you want to leave BP the way it is -- we will need a patch for Redemption with BP.

Here is the file to be placed into redemption\bcs dir

AR6200asc.BCS

2. My understanding is that BP++ maxxes the Songs list. Since Redemption adds another Song it becomes incompatible.

I can make a version for that case by removing the Song, but once again -- this will have to be placed on your site, as I want to keep the music in for the stand alone downloads and BP 'light' . :D

3. Thirdly thre are two different mods I made with Irenicus in ToB party:

Redemption is a short one

Longer Road is a long one -- it is a new mod and as you can imagine these 2 mods are not compatible with each other.

If I am to make LR compatible with BP -- it will have to be an optional component or it can be hard-wired into BP if you wish.

LR has 4 Songs and there is no way they can be taken out or replced with wavs... That apriori makes it incompatible with BP++ I guess.

Here is LR installer check list copied from tp2:

BEGIN @0
FORBID_COMPONENT "Setup-Redemption.tp2" "0" @1
REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Dialog.bif~ @2
REQUIRE_FILE ~Data/25Scripts.bif~ @2

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~override/finbodh.cre~ // Ascension is installed
THEN BEGIN ...

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~override/drake01.cre~ // Tougher Abazigal
THEN BEGIN ...

Ie -- NO Redemption, ToB required, need to check for Ascension and Tougher Abazigal...

Hmm... actually not all is lost. In fact LR might be compatible already -- with BP 'light' at least!

The Longer Road mod
Redemption mod
Bitter Grey Ashes

#20 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 06:20 PM

Actually Dorotea, if you wanted to, it'd be quite easy to check to see if BP is installed and use alternate installation code in that case. (I'm not saying you should, I'm just saying it's easy. As every modder is entitled to say "enough!" when it comes to coding a project. ;) ) You'd just need an:
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS block to check for BP, and place the alternate components in a sub-block. Running an ELSE for a normal installation. It's not much work, but it IS work you might not want to do. (If there are any other mods out there that prove incompatible/semi-incompatible you can take the same course to ensure compatiblility.) Just my 2 copper's.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.