Hardcoded "Slow" effect

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:26 PM

My problem is with the hardcoded Slow effect. As reported by many modders, applying this opcode to something (to a spell for example) automatically applies the Slow icon on targets upon activation. I this always so? According to my experiences, when I added this effect to a spell, the slow icon wasn't displayed after the spells activation - only if I added a separate "Display Special Effect Icon" opcode.

Now, I find it strange - what determies if this icon is displayed, or not? For some players it appears by the Slow effect, for me it only appears if I set it to appear..? :huh:

Any help would be nice here.

Edited by T.G.Maestro, 19 September 2004 - 10:27 PM.

Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#2 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:41 PM

Huh, I've never tested that. Maybe we should go through the effects and figure out what "extra" stuff (like icons or the stoneskin appearance) is added.

#3 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:07 PM

The problem is that some icons seem to appear automatically once the hardcoded effect takes place (slow for example), even if you don't add a "Display Special Effect: Slow" opcode.
Now, the interesting part is that it doesn't happen for me (I cast a spell that slows the caster, and no slow icon appears at all).
Posted Image

#4 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:25 AM

Wearing an item that grants the haste icon by chance? I don't know if that'll do it, but it's the first thing that came to mind.

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:34 AM

Nonono. Nothing special. Simply have a normal character who casts a spell that slows himself besides other things. Still -although he becomes slowed- no slow icon appears.
Posted Image

#6 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:09 AM

Hmm, since I think I've found the answer to my question above, I ask it differently:

Is there any way to prevent the slow icon from appearing on the character portraits when a Slow effect is applied?
Posted Image

#7 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:24 AM

Theres a "prevent icon from showing" opcode, iirc.

Visit the IESDP

#8 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:04 AM

Theres a "prevent icon from showing" opcode, iirc

I guess you are referring to the "Protection from Specific Icon" or "Remove Specific Icon" opcodes, right? Well, neither of them seems to work here. You cannot remove the slow icon... :unsure:
Posted Image

#9 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:21 AM

My problem is with the hardcoded Slow effect. As reported by many modders, applying this opcode to something (to a spell for example) automatically applies the Slow icon on targets upon activation.

Simply have a normal character who casts a spell that slows himself besides other things. Still -although he becomes slowed- no slow icon appears

You cannot remove the slow icon... 

I'm a little confused as to what you want...
Does the icon show, or not?

If it shows in some spells/items, and not others, try to find a reason - does it not show if the target is self? Does it only show with permanent timing mode? Does it show if haste is already active? Can it be removed, once it is shown?

Visit the IESDP

#10 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:51 AM

If it shows in some spells/items, and not others, try to find a reason - does it not show if the target is self? Does it only show with permanent timing mode? Does it show if haste is already active? Can it be removed, once it is shown?

IESDP Guardian in action, hehe.

-Echon

#11 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:49 AM

I'm a little confused as to what you want...
Does the icon show, or not?

Sorry to be a bit chaotic up there. As I said, my first question was already answered, so I only asked: is there a way to remove the Slow icon once the slow effect has been applied to the character (the icon always shows up)?
My experiences so far:
- as above, the icon comes with the effect - this seems hardcoded;
- once the effect is applied, the icon cannot be removed (by a Remove Specific Icon opcode);
- even if I add a Protection from Specific Icon opcode before the Slow opcode into the spell, the icon shows up;
- it works the same on self/party;
- it won't appear if someone has a n item with permanent Haste effect.

So much so far. Any ideas? Is there a way to prevent the icons from showing up?
Posted Image

#12 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:21 AM

Ya know, iirc, my potion didn't remove all of the icons right away. I had to save the game and reload it, I think. Granted, I didn't know too much about effects back then, so I could just have done something wrong.

#13 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:35 AM

No ideas then I guess?
Posted Image

#14 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:10 AM

Errr, change the bam frame to totally transparent? Grant the target the Haste icon permanently to block it? *Shrugs*

#15 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:33 PM

Um, no. It seems there is REALLY no way to solve this (no, I haven't changed the icons transparancy, that would ruin the icon).

Anyway, thanks for the help. ;)
Posted Image

#16 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:46 PM

Um, no. It seems there is REALLY no way to solve this (no, I haven't changed the icons transparancy, that would ruin the icon).

Anyway, thanks for the help. ;)

I was just throwing stuff out there, since I couldn't think of any way that didn't, well, suck. <_<

#17 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:48 PM

Could you create a spell with the Stat: Movement Rate modifier and make it a negative modifer to the same level as the Slow spell?

Might bypass using the Slow spell?
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#18 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:51 PM

The only way I can think of getting rid of it then is to actually set the icon as a completely transparent one. Then take the bam for the slow effect, add it as a new bam to the states(2).bam (Can't recall which one off the top of me head.) and then change the existing spells using the effect to display this new icon. Lotsa work, but it would do the job.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#19 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:59 PM

Gee, and I was kidding about the transparent bam thingy! The only question is if it's worth the work to get rid of that little red hourglass.

#20 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:01 PM

take the bam for the slow effect, add it as a new bam to the states(2).bam

Impossible, since Refinements already used up ALL free slots in the state bams.

Gee, and I was kidding about the transparent bam thingy! The only question is if it's worth the work to get rid of that little red hourglass.

Of course the answer is not, but again, thanks for the ideas.
Posted Image