Photo

Refinements and RogueRebalancing - do they clash?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ieldra

Ieldra
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:19 AM

I'm asking because both mods make changes to the HLAs. So, using both mods, what will I get in HLAs for a Rogue? Refinements' HLAs, RogueRebalancing's, or both?

#2 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:34 AM

From the Revised_HLAs readme

We advise to use our new HLA system as a whole, or not use it AT ALL. 
We have built all the tables in the attempt to rebalance and refine the whole system, and all these
tables should be used together for coherency (consider also that some material is shared between
our tables: this may include new icons, portrait icons or visual effects.)

These arguments apply even for aVENGER's Rogue Rebalancing Mod, which, among its other components,
provides new HLA tables for all rogues.  However, in this case some very special notes are in order
since aVENGER graciously granted us permission to use his material.
We have used aVENGER's material and a little bit more: we debugged his HLAs, refined them (by our
judgment, we admit), added new icons to them (in line with the rest of our tables), added new portrait
icons where needed, and lastly we placed them in a better context.
For instance, we created the Use Scrolls ability that aVENGER also desired for thieves, but didn't
realize for his mod.
In the end we've tried to keep to his ideals, not sacrifice them. So we think it's best if you install
Refinements after Rogue Rebalancing.
Actually, we *STRONGLY* advise to use aVENGER's mod together with Refinements:

-First, you'd get all the rest of the good additions and "refinements" provided by Rogue Rebalancing.

-Second, Refinements is really *meant* to be installed over it: to address some compatibility issues, we
coded our stuff *assuming* the presence of the Rogue Rebalancing Mod.
Refinements adjusts thieves' weapon proficiencies in the same way aVENGER's mod does, but without the
additional kit abilities and rebalancing provided by Rogue Rebalancing. This means that things won't be
entirely balanced if you don't use Rogue Rebalancing together with Refinements. 

Think of it as if we are thanking aVENGER by "forcing" you to use his mod :)

#3 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:06 AM

Frankly, people. Is that SO hard to take a brief look at the readmes...? :( <_<
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#4 Ieldra

Ieldra
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:07 AM

Uh...sorry I have asked. I guess I can't really read, then.... -_-

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 06:09 AM

No problem of course, excuse me my bad mood. I just got some troubling news lately.
Anyway, I hope you got your answer from Rath's post. ;)
Posted Image

#6 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

Let me add that with Version 2, thanx to the tp2 improvement by the_bigg, Refinements will be "able" to dinamically adapt to the current installation, so that section of the readme will actually need to be updated :)

Edited by Littiz, 20 September 2004 - 11:47 AM.

Ever forward, my darling wind...

#7 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

Let me add that with Version 2, thanx to the tp2 improvement by the_bigg, Refinements will be "able" to dinamically adapt to the current installation, so that section of the readme will actually need to be updated :)

Yes, and we're sponsorising the cafeteria you have round the corner of the street you live in ;) the installing procedure of my fix is so slow that you might as well go and have a coffee in the meantime :angry:

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#8 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:59 AM

the installing procedure of my fix is so slow that you might as well go and have a coffee in the meantime

I guess on a weaker system, right? I haven't tested it on my computer yet, I'll do so tonight.
Posted Image

#9 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:14 AM

Well, my PC is a 2400 MHz with 256 MB of RAM and 50GB of HD free, so maybe it isn't a top level PC. Still, if on it it takes a quarter of hour, I doubt you will take less than, say, ten minutes.
I think that I will try a workaround, so that the patch takes action only if really needed. Hm, some hours of copy-paste to do today then. :thumb: :lol: :D ;) ^_^ :) -_- :mellow: :huh: :unsure: :blink: :o :wacko: :( :help: :bash: :wall: :drunk:
yes, I really like copy-paste. Lucky that a tricky bounce from MS excel, MS word and ConTEXT will help me :bash:

Edited by the bigg, 21 September 2004 - 01:16 AM.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#10 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 01:19 AM

Well, my PC is a 2400 MHz with 256 MB of RAM and 50GB of HD free, so maybe it isn't a top level PC. Still, if on it it takes a quarter of hour, I doubt you will take less than, say, ten minutes.

Hmm, thats not a weak configuration, I'm positive that most players have weaker PCs - in this case there is some serious need for that workaround, if possible.
Posted Image

#11 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 02:11 AM

You could just put PRINT ~This procedure may take a while~ in the relevant part of your .tp2... :) Depends, how long is a long time?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#12 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:00 AM

You could just put PRINT ~This procedure may take a while~ in the relevant part of your .tp2... :) Depends, how long is a long time?

Nah, it's too easy to simply print that, especially when I have thought a good workaround ;) .
Anyway, I haven't done any precise timing, but it takes around 15 minutes, I guess most people will be worried that WeiDU had crashed anyway. :unsure:

#13 -Ba'alzamon-

-Ba'alzamon-

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

This info is outdated. There have been changes to refinements/RR. Read the newer thread first:

I used the search and found this thread here. I was about to disregard the BiG World guide (which is right) about the order of these components and do as the horse said in this thread. But thankfully I found the other thread, compared dates, and saved myself some disappointment. Hope it does for other newcomers too.