Photo

tile-set pack

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:45 PM

As some of you know that I'm making a few areas,(check sig) and it was hinted to make a tile pack (I wonder who that could have been ;) ). So I thought that It could be done, but when I was working on a current pic I tried to pick a background color that wasn't in the current theme (like bright green or pink), I'm working in paintshop with transparrent color as my background but that doesnt work on .BMP format so when I merge the layers I get a green outline, not good. I could have a black background merge the layers then change the background to white, green, or pink but then it has a black outline which is better but still not great.

So my question is how does one get a better looking tile?

Edited by Sir-Kill, 22 September 2004 - 04:45 PM.

Live Free Or Die

#2 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:07 PM

As some of you know that I'm making a few areas,(check sig) and it was hinted to make a tile pack (I wonder who that could have been ;) ). So I thought that It could be done, but when I was working on a current pic I tried to pick a background color that wasn't in the current theme (like bright green or pink), I'm working in paintshop with transparrent color as my background but that doesnt work on .BMP format so when I merge the layers I get a green outline, not good. I could have a black background merge the layers then change the background to white, green, or pink but then it has a black outline which is better but still not great.

So my question is how does one get a better looking tile?

why don't you take the straight image on the transparent psp back, fill with a nice magenta (which is in no tile i've ever seen), then.. oh wait just realized you prolly already did that.. is when placing the tile inside of an edirot that you get the oddities? I've been making the maps out of tiles and loading them in as bmps.. hrm..
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#3 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:31 PM

Chevar, your english seems to be falling apart, but it doesn't matter what program I use the border/outline is still there. Without removing all of the ugly pixels manualy I don't see this as happening. <_<

here is an example

Edited by Sir-Kill, 22 September 2004 - 05:32 PM.

Live Free Or Die

#4 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

Chevar, your english seems to be falling apart, but it doesn't matter what program I use the border/outline is still there. Without removing all of the ugly pixels manualy I don't see this as happening. <_<

here is an example

about the language don't reming me SK.. nothign i can do about it. It'll pass, it always does.. needless to say i cant work much at the moment pm me id you actaully wannah knwo whats up.

as for the tiles. color replacer brush might clean it if you're carefull. looks like manual correct any way around it. or using fill tool with midhues from distortion.

Edited by Chevar, 22 September 2004 - 05:42 PM.

"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#5 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:16 PM

Actually, if you turn the anti-alias off that "outline" will go away. It's the first, "wtf" tile question I ever asked way back when. ;)

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#6 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

I was just thinking that same thing... but the problem is that if you don't have the anti-alias on it looks chunky and pixelated. not to mention that I would have to cut out two images one for me and one for the tile set. on larger objects having it off would be fine.
Live Free Or Die

#7 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:27 PM

Large tiles it's gotta be off or you're going to be "trimming" the thing. Then getting a new line when you save it again. All the tile packs you see keep the anti-aliasing off, most seem to do okay. *shrug*

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#8 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 07:50 PM

Large tiles it's gotta be off or you're going to be "trimming" the thing. Then getting a new line when you save it again. All the tile packs you see keep the anti-aliasing off, most seem to do okay. *shrug*

I just build my maps completely in PSP then load the BMP :)

Project Forum

#9 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:00 AM

Ok so without making a new topic what would you want to see? Small things like the table and chairs, large items like buildings, or what? Oh and just the cut out images or cut and recolored?

@Chevar "I just build my maps completely in PSP then load the BMP"

I know thats what I'm doing but to make a tile pack it just the single items ;)

Edited by Sir-Kill, 23 September 2004 - 03:03 AM.

Live Free Or Die

#10 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:48 AM

As Hlid says, most IE tilesets have anti-aliasing turned off but because of the way most graphics cards render the scene, it doesn't show in the game. I recently created a huge tileset of buildings and objects cut from various parts of BG/BG2/IWD for a new mod and didn't find a problem when they were seen in-game.

It looks horrible but trust us, most of the time it won't show. If you provide the end-user with a usable hard-outline tileset, IMHO it's up to them how they blend the edges into the area they are creating. Don't try and do it for them :D

[EDIT]. Here's a thought for you too: you could supply each tile in .psd (Photoshop) format. It would be composed of two layers; the actual object and the background. PSP can handle .psd so no problem there. The end user would simply turn off the background layer and Select All - Copy for the remaining visible layer. No messing about with transparency colours.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 23 September 2004 - 09:53 AM.

#11 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:54 AM

Hey that could work! I dont even need a background color, unless there is some real reason that I should. Any one that has paint/photoshop can use them.
Live Free Or Die

#12 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:35 AM

Hey that could work! I dont even need a background color, unless there is some real reason that I should. Any one that has paint/photoshop can use them.

I think about half the people with an internet connection have already downloaded PS, so most people here will probably have it. ;)

#13 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 03:31 PM

Well great, its settled then now on to what do you want, what would like to see and all that... mind you that I'm working on underground stuff; caves, dungons and the like.
Live Free Or Die

#14 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

Well great, its settled then now on to what do you want, what would like to see and all that... mind you that I'm working on underground stuff; caves, dungons and the like.

Personally.. structures that are unusual and not available traditionally.. thrones, altars, that kind of stuff... building at some point.

Project Forum

#15 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:27 PM

building at some point.

Err what do you mean? do you mean buildings or build a pack of these (altars, thrones...)
Live Free Or Die

#16 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:09 PM

building at some point.

Err what do you mean? do you mean buildings or build a pack of these (altars, thrones...)

buildings.. my 1 year old's been climbing on me every time i try typing.

Project Forum