Rebalanced Valen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:14 AM

Since we are proceeding slower than expected with other components over at Refinements, it bcomes a bit questionable wether we will be able to code my modified/rebalanced version of this NPC or not.

Since I don't want to drop these modifications for ages, I'd like to submit them here, if possible. Thorium, you could decide wether you add it as a separate component or not, its up to you. Maybe if we get to implement it as a component in Refinements (possibly only next year), we will submit them too, thats still undecided.

So again, if you'd like to host these changes in your Valen expansion, I'll send you all the files with a proper documentation of changes. ;)

regards,
TG
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#2 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 07:42 AM

Sorry about the complete lack of any "packages", but we have a really hectic time over at Refinements. I'll send everything once I'm able to test the package properly.

And BTW, did you ever played with the most useful idea to have some XP penalty on Valen to compenstae for her vampiric powers? In IWD2, more powerful races suffer 10-20% XP penalty, or simply gain levels at one level after others.
I think such an option was used by the Druidic Sorceror kit as well, and it could help as a great balancing factor for Valen. ;)
Posted Image

#3 LordKableNikon

LordKableNikon

I'm not a psychopath,I'm a sociopath....

• 111 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:34 PM

I don't know there are situations in the game where you can get infinite free exp, atleast 2 in SoA

#4 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 02:45 PM

I can remember the infinite fire giant that you can shoot with arrows, and I think the Brain golems just keep on coming. What am I missing?

#5 LordKableNikon

LordKableNikon

• 111 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:07 PM

Just in SoA
The hand with Dace and crystal if you are skilled enough you can get it like 7 or 8 so times (huge exps)
Brain Golems and well there are Reijek Hidesman you need to do a little trick but ok...
you enter his door and he goes bring up dialogue, say sorry wrong house
get 6 npc's surround him and get one person to attack him, he eventually says How did you know... blah blah blah gets some exp, quickly pause the game after the exp and get someone to talk to him, you get the exp over again, and keep repeating my Dad and I were able to get to level 30 before doing any quest.

#6 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:10 PM

Ah, I forgot the Reijek one. The Dace on isn't really infinite though. You can also get tons of xp with the Amaunator avatar.

#7 LordKableNikon

LordKableNikon

• 111 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:14 PM

do tell....

#8 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 03:19 PM

I don't remember exactly, but it's the last conversation with the avatar when all the worshippers are in there. Once their conversation is over, you can talk to them again to redo the conversation. You get the reward xp and the shield all over again. I think the max I was able to do was 7 times, since the worshippers will vanish quickly.

#9 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:19 PM

Did you ever play with the most useful idea to have some XP penalty on Valen to compensate for her vampiric powers? In IWD2, more powerful races suffer 10-20% XP penalty, or simply gain levels at one level after others.
I think such an option was used by the Druidic Sorceror kit as well, and it could help as a great balancing factor for Valen. ;)

It's a good idea. I'll certainly look into it when I get to the coding stage.

Mod in Progress: Valen Expansion

#10 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:39 PM

I don't know there are situations in the game where you can get infinite free exp, atleast 2 in SoA

This doesn't matter - you can get that XP either way, it has nothing to do with the Valen mod. We are talking about reducing the rate of her level-progression.
Posted Image

#11 LordKableNikon

LordKableNikon

• 111 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:56 PM

Ok look at it this way, you reduce her level progression and you get valen at level 10, but you don't want to fight any battles till she is level 30.... so you go over the the hidesman and get her infinite exp till she is level 30... it really doesn't matter if you slow her progression, sure she will be more balanced during the point up to level 50 but it goes to the fact of everquest: The ShadowKnight and Paladin are slower level progression than the fighter, but they have equal skill in fighting just paladins and shadowknights get bonuses, so when both hit max level they are not balanced, having a exp penality only balances up to 50 but making her level max at say 40 and she can't get to level 50 might be something to work with.

#12 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:17 AM

Reducong the amounts of XP she gains works exactly as in IWD2 for example. If you decide you increase your experience by cheesy ways (and really, the "methods" you describe above are everything but legal - I for one would never use them, it completely kills the fun in the game for me), its up to you - if you want to cheat, you can, no matter if she has a normal or a nerfed XP progression. However if you decide to play the game as it was meant to be, you will feel the difference, as in IWD2.
And about the max levels: with all the XP cap removers this won't be that much of a problem - unless you are soloing with only Valen at your side.
Posted Image