Another weird bug threatening this project

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 05:59 AM

Some who have followed this project might still remember at least some of the weird bugs Iīve encountered. Well, now one is yet again trying to ruin the project. I have avoided playing to mod so that I wouldnīt have to deal with the problem but today I tried and I found no way around it.
Let me describe it:

The bug occurs every time Iīve killed a certain amount of creatures (about ten) in the Icewind Dale. I click the rest-button and the game shuts down with no error message.
Iīve tried the following:
1. Getting rid of everything from the area but the creatures - didnīt help
2. Getting rid of everything from the area and then creating some creatures with codes - didnīt help
3. Moving away from the area using codes, creating the same creatures (and different) to the other area and killing them - the game didnīt shut down --- When I went back to the game crushing area and created the same creatures with codes, the game shut down after I started to rest.

If no-one can tell me whatīs wrong the mod will be canceled and thrown to some Mod Graveyard (some parts are still playable). :(

:bash:

Edited by Gilgamesh, 09 October 2004 - 06:02 AM.

#2 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 07:43 AM

Perhaps it is a flaw with the creature file, or death variable?

#3 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 10:16 AM

Check the area itself. It'll have some kind of "rest interruption" setup. My guess would be that you've got an invalid cre or setup listed there. So when you rest, the game attempts to access it and crashes.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#4 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 11:27 AM

You might also run the area through the area cleaners and try building it again if all else fails.

Steve

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#5 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 01:52 PM

Iīve tried all of the above exept building the area again. Well, actually thereīs two areas that I know of.

I forgot to mention that even if I leave the area after killing any creature, the game crashes in the new area also when I try to rest. This rules out just about every possible bug that can be modded away.

I havenīt yet totally given up so maybe Iīll figure out something but Iīd really like to hear out any suggestions you people have.

#6 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 02:07 PM

Put the relevant files up for download, that way people can try things, and see if they can solve the problem.

Visit the IESDP

#7 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:00 AM

After coming this far, Gilgamesh, the LAST thing we want to see you do is give up!

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#8 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:13 AM

Put the relevant files up for download, that way people can try things, and see if they can solve the problem.

This would be much appreciated. Where can I put the files?

#9 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:10 AM

Nevermind, I found out whatīs the problem (this time itīs totally insane).
Let me explain what I did:

First I thought about the thing: After I had killed creatures in that certain area, the rest-bug hunted me to other areas too. This lead to a though: what comes with me from the bug area ---> NPCīs. Hmm...I have one new NPC from the dale with me, Alissa.
Test:
1. I reload the game from the part where Iīm just leaving for the Icewind Dale. I do everything exactly the same but donīt take Alissa with me. Result: no rest-bug.
2. I enter the village and take Alissa with me. Result: rest-bug appears.
3. I reload and enter the village but donīt take Alissa with me. Result: no rest-bug.
Conclusion:
Alissa is incompatible with a few areas. :drunk:

Stupid weird bugs... <_<

Well, I think this might have something to do with Alissaīs special abilities (which are tested to work by the way) so Iīll just fix them a bit (she wonīt be learning any new now) and see if that helps. If not, Iīll remove all of the abilities. If that doesnīt help, Iīll remove Alissa. :(

Thankīs for all the suggestions!

Edited by Gilgamesh, 10 October 2004 - 06:11 AM.

#10 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:04 AM

Special Abilities were indeed the problem. Although I didnīt use them, they still caused the bug. So, the bug took place in a few areas if Alissa was in party, monsters were killed and rest-button was pressed. :P

Anyway, I fixed the problem (Alissa wonīt learn any new abilites, she gets them all at once) and Iīm now finally progressing again. I estimate Iīm done in about two weeks.

Edited by Gilgamesh, 11 October 2004 - 11:06 AM.