Photo

Mark's Misadventures

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#1 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:46 PM

Recently, I completed my umpteenth rebuild of BP-BGT-NEJ. As always, I've run into a few stumbling blocks, and equally, as always, they have been self induced. You'd think I'd have learned by now to leave well enough alone. Nah!!!!

I have somehow managed to cobble together a working install, including FR-ROV, Ease of Use, Item Upgrade, Ajoc's, Munchmod, MDX, BG1NPC, BoneHill, Exnem, TGC, and BP-BGT-DSotSC. At the moment, everything is working together, or at least it seems to be. I had installed Refinements, but that has now been uninstalled.

Last night I was able to complete BoneHill and return to the BG1 map. Bonehill was impressive. From there, I plan on taking out Ulcaster, Gullykin, and Firewine before turning North and taking out the banditos.

Peculiarities: For a short period of time, Imoen had the ability to cast spells from scrolls. When Refinements was uninstalled, that ability went away. A new NPC at the Friendly Arm carrying on about the Nashkel being cleared when I hadn't even been there yet. After that his dialog was seriously fubared. No clue as to who that guy was and what he was supposed to be saying. With BG1NPC, Imoen is really becoming an annoying pain in the ass. I'm suprised Jahiera hasn't stufed her into a box some where.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark
"What rough beast, Its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born."

W.B. Yeats

May the sun be always in the eyes of your enemies,
and may your feet always find the correct path.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#2 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:40 PM

Things still seem to be going well. I managed to clear the Ulcaster, Gullykin, and Firewine screens. Everything went pretty much as I remembered them, but there are a couple of peculiarities.

First, Horred's blast-em kobalds showed up in a different location. They weren't on the upper level at all.
Second, even though I've installed the BGT-Darkside mod, none of the tougher encounters have shown up. Firewine was still pretty much cake, aside from that damned Ogre-magi and his bloody protection spells. No Orcs, no Bug Bears, nothin' but kobalds, skeletons, and dogs. Cheesy.

In any case, its off to Larswood next. Time to kill the bandits.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#3 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 08:44 PM

I have missed the glutonny of Mark's Misadventures, now if we can get the usurper to get writing again we would be all set!

Edited by Sir-Kill, 14 October 2004 - 08:45 PM.

Live Free Or Die

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 05:52 AM

First, Horred's blast-em kobalds showed up in a different location. They weren't on the upper level at all.
Second, even though I've installed the BGT-Darkside mod, none of the tougher encounters have shown up. Firewine was still pretty much cake, aside from that damned Ogre-magi and his bloody protection spells. No Orcs, no Bug Bears, nothin' but kobalds, skeletons, and dogs. Cheesy.

Firebridge is in the patch. Real trolls!!!

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#5 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:29 AM

Firebridge is in the patch. Real trolls!!!

Huzzah, huzzah! Cool. Will they be there if I make a return trip to the bridge or do I have to start over again? I'm looking forward to flambe-ing some trolls. Roast them trolls, roast them trolls, nice and tasty brown. :D

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#6 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 07:31 AM

I have missed the glutonny of Mark's Misadventures, now if we can get the usurper to get writing again we would be all set!

It would be nice to have things "normal" again. This little community has taken some hard knocks recently.

Enjoy . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#7 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:16 PM

Ok, I missed something somewhere. I downloaded the DsoTSC patch and followed the iinstructions, or at least I thought I did. Things didin't turn out as I had expected. Importing the worldmap into my save game doesn't seem to be the way to go. I logged onto my save game, and all of the areas I had explored were now missing, or at least not present on the map. I also have this DsoTSC fV.02 folder that I'm not entirely certain what to do with. I definitely need a read-me on this one. Like that's anything new. I manage to screw them up even with the readme's.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#8 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 02:40 PM

You just need to reset the flags on your worldmap for the areas you've been. You can do this in NI or just CLUA yourself once to each area you've previously been.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#9 Caedwyr

Caedwyr

Wraith Editor

• 962 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 03:14 PM

Imoen able to cast spells from scrolls would have been due to Refinements. Since refinements is intended for BG2, and Imoen is a mage-thief dual class, it doesn't cause problems there. Mostly it has to do with some shadow kits that Littiz used to make the Use Scrolls ability work.
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil." - Ferret

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

#10 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:17 PM

Imoen able to cast spells from scrolls would have been due to Refinements.  Since refinements is intended for BG2, and Imoen is a mage-thief dual class, it doesn't cause problems there.  Mostly it has to do with some shadow kits that Littiz used to make the Use Scrolls ability work.

Aha! Thanks for the info. I had my suspicions about that one, but with the way I tinker with things, it can be a little difficult telling where some of the little oddities I run into have been generated. What about Imoen tinkering with Tarnesh's spell book?

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 16 October 2004 - 09:18 PM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#11 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:23 PM

Imoen's tinkering with the spellbook is from BG1NPC. She'll eventually create an artifact. Using it gives her a +1 to DEX, and her image gets the icon from a "Luck" spell or from using a Potion of Master Thievery. It may do other stuff, but that's what I've noticed.

#12 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:25 PM

You just need to reset the flags on your worldmap for the areas you've been. You can do this in NI or just CLUA yourself once to each area you've previously been.

I'm pretty certain I can CLUA myself back into each of the areas that I've visited. The only challenge seems to be in remembering the area designations. Let me get some shut-eye and I'll fiddle with NI as well. At the moment, my skill level with NI is still inconsistent, at best. I'm very good at some things, others, I don't understand at all. Then again, why should NI be any different than anything else in life?

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#13 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 09:28 PM

Imoen's tinkering with the spellbook is from BG1NPC. She'll eventually create an artifact. Using it gives her a +1 to DEX, and her image gets the icon from a "Luck" spell or from using a Potion of Master Thievery. It may do other stuff, but that's what I've noticed.

Ok . . . Is this supposed to be the beginnings of her transition from a Charming rogue, to a dual-class rogue - mage? It would make sense that way. Too much sense for government work, but I can live with it.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#14 bpfan

bpfan
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 06:21 AM

Wouldn't have anything to do with being a "charming" rogue, since that's provided by NeJ and unconnected to anything the BG1NPC people were working on. I suspect it was just a fun thing for them to do, highlighting her interest in magic and foreshadowing the Mage/Thief she'd be in BG2. Remember, this mod was developed for BG1 and TuTu, in which you can't carry characters over, so a CHARNAME imported from this storyline would still be stuck with vanilla Imoen in a new BG2 game.

#15 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:46 PM

Wouldn't have anything to do with being a "charming" rogue, since that's provided by NeJ and unconnected to anything the BG1NPC people were working on.  I suspect it was just a fun thing for them to do, highlighting her interest in magic and foreshadowing the Mage/Thief she'd be in BG2.  Remember, this mod was developed for BG1 and TuTu, in which you can't carry characters over, so a CHARNAME imported from this storyline would still be stuck with vanilla Imoen in a new BG2 game.

And you don't think that Imoen makes a "charming" rogue??? ;) I never did see the point ot TuTu if you couldn't carry anything over to your BG2 Install. That, and by the time I was beginning to think about it, I was pretty much locked into BP. Don't have the time, or the patience to try and mess with both paths.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 17 October 2004 - 02:47 PM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#16 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:43 PM

I've been doing some research for the past couple of days. It seems that I have been designated to set up and DM an Al-Qadim Campaign, so I've been off at RPGNow pulling down some, hopefully, relavent materials. I think I have things pretty well in hand but, I could always use more. (More, more, more . . . :blink: ) If anybody knows of additional sources of materials for me to wade through . . .

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#17 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:16 PM

Question,

Is there any way to make Chloe compatible with BP-NEJ-BGT? I don't expect there to be anyway to encounter Chloe in BG1, the task of writing an entirely new banter pack would be a nightmare. TBH, I don't give a rat's boo-boo about her romance, but I find her a very entertaining character and I like having her in my parties.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:28 AM

I've been doing some research for the past couple of days. It seems that I have been designated to set up and DM an Al-Qadim Campaign, so I've been off at RPGNow pulling down some, hopefully, relavent materials. I think I have things pretty well in hand but, I could always use more. (More, more, more . . .  :blink: ) If anybody knows of additional sources of materials for me to wade through . . .

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

View Post

Did you check the Wizards of the Coast website? They have several older mods published there in PDF files.

Classic Adventures

#19 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:29 AM

Chloe would have to be either changed by the mod creator or at least someone should get approval to add her or any other NPC to the BGT world.

Classic Adventures

#20 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 07:11 PM

Did you check the Wizards of the Coast website?  They have several older mods published there in PDF files.

View Post

I had looked there when I was fishing for the Descent into the Depths materials. I'll go back there and see what I can find. At the moment, I need kit descriptions and a copy of the Tome of Magic. :drunk: This crap can be addicting if you let it. ;)

I'm off to see da' Wizard . . .

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark