Enelya

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Yochlol

Yochlol
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:31 AM

Hi, everyone. *smiles*

I've got an idea for an NPC. Her name is Enelya. She's 1/4 drow, 1/4 surface elf and 1/2 angel. She's a dual-classed shield-maiden/witch. I don't know if the shield-maiden class has been created already, so if you would be so kind as to let me know, I would appreciate it. Anyway, what's special about the witch-class is that the witch can cast nature, divine and arcane magic, turn undead and shapeshift into different types of animal forms. Since the witch is so powerful, I think he/she should have a penalty to XP.

But anyway, here's my presentation of Enelya:

Enelya:

Race: ¼ drow, ¼ elf, ½ angel
Class: Dual-classed shield-maiden/witch
Alignment: Chaotic good

Strength: 18/78
Dexterity: 19
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 20
Charisma: 16

Resistances:
Fire: 25
Cold: 25
Electricity: 25
Acid: 25
Magic: 70
Immune to normal weapons
Immune to charm

Special powers: dimension door and divine wrath.

Enelya is a guardian of what she calls "The Old World", where immortal elves live. I think she should be romanceable for male, elven PC's of a non-evil alignment.

I'm not much of a mod maker, nor am I any good at writing dialogues, but I do think this is a great idea. Enelya will add 3 quests, 4 if you have Viconia in your party.

So, if you're interested, I can add some more info about the lady here on the forum.
L'alurl faerbol zhah mrann d'ssinss - The best magic item is a male lover.

#2 Keltosh

Keltosh
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:54 AM

Uh sorry if i say so but she seems overpowered to me. Look at those stats ..

#3 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:16 PM

That is a little powerful. Maybe toning down the stats and the resists would help?

#4 Deva

Deva

Possum of the Grotto

• Modder
  • 1378 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:40 PM

Maybe tone it down to;
STR:15
DEX:16
CON:11
INT:18
WIS:17
CHR:16
And she's still pretty god like. I'd do away with practically all of the resistances as well. Not even the most powerful armour's give you that much res.

Also, you'd have to have a pretty good excuse for her having drow blood. And I don't know if someone as powerful would involve herself with some mere mortal.

Other then that, sounds like a good idea. ^.^

Ninde_ad.gif

143450.png176206.png

Click to feed.

Adopted from Valenth

My adoptables > Your adoptables.

#5 MantraSong

MantraSong

Sweet, harmless killer...

• 217 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:03 PM

I don't know about 2E, but in 3E there is an entry in the Monster Manual for half-celestials, so it does happen, however, the drow-surfacer elf parent would half to be good aligned, and keep in mind the child may inherit drow weaknesses along with their strength.
Just because I'm paranoid does not mean the world isn't out to get me!!

'Blink your eyelids periodically to lubricate your eyes.' ? Page 16 of the HP 'Environmental, Health Safety Handbook for Employees'.

Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

#6 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:05 PM

It is mostly a 3E thing. In 2E about the only place you find celestials living is the Planescape setting. They are almost NEVER found on the Prime.

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#7 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 07:13 PM

In 2E they're called Aasimar. They get:

+1 Str and Wis, and -2 Con
half damage from fire and cold
+2 to save vs fear, charm, domination and emotion effects
+1 to surprise
infravision.
Non-arcane classes get 10% MR.

The resists aren't any more extreme than they are supposed to have, but they should certainly be vulnerable to normal weapons (only Tieflings have a chance of immunity to normal weapons), no innate abilities (again, only Tieflings in Planescape have those), and no MR if the character can use arcane magic. If the character can't, I'd still say no more than 10%. If the elf side is so strong, the character would lose the other resists.

#8 Yochlol

Yochlol
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:24 PM

I thought the stats would be a bit too high. Ok, how about this:

Strength: 14
Dexterity: 17
Constitution: 10
Intelligence: 18
Wisdom: 16
Charisma: 16

Magic Resistance: 50%?
No immunity to normal weapons
Fire, cold, electricity and acid resistance: 15%?

The reason why she's among mortals is explained in the history part. If you're interested, I can post it.

#9 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:47 AM

Huh... the first stats you presented were tough. Would this be hard to code though?

#10 Keltosh

Keltosh
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:55 AM

Well .. now it is more reasonable. Still this character will be pretty powerful .. Especially the 50 % magic resistance..
I mean.. it's the same magic resistance you get with Carsormyr! I would take that away. After that it would be ok ...
The character concept does seem interesting though :D

#11 Yochlol

Yochlol
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 12:47 AM

Ok, MR taken away, but her equipment will grant her some, does that sound reasonable to you?

Well, here's the history. I'm not fully satisfied with it yet, so I'm open for ideas.

History:
Childhood: Enelya was born in the Old World, but her parents made the mistake of visiting the elves of Faerūn. A drow raiding party attacked and killed Enelya?s parents, taking Enelya with them as a ?trophy?. She was too young to be a slave and too old to be killed, so one of the Matron Mothers decided to adopt her. (Not very satisfied with this part, any ideas?) It was for practical reasons, as the Matron Mother didn?t have any daughters, only sons. Enelya then grew up as the only daughter of a house insignia, with all the benefits and catches that came with it. She had five brothers, two were warriors, two were mages and the last was an assassin. They taught her everything they knew, whenever they could. By the time she reached womanhood, she was an excellent swordsman, a powerful mage and a stealthy rogue.
Womanhood: To prove her worth to the Matron Mother, Enelya was sent on a mission to retrieve something of great value to the duergar. This was something Lolth demanded, as Enelya wasn?t the real daughter of her Matron Mother. Her brothers came with her, and they set their destination for Dorn?s Deep. On their way, they ran into a group of Avariel ? three in all. Since Enelya had the appearance of a surface elf, she managed to start a conversation with them. They told her about a relic that the duergar had taken from them, and that they had come to the Underdark to get it back. Enelya and her brothers agreed to help if the Avariel helped them in return. An agreement was made, and they travelled to Dorn?s Deep in one big group. Enelya?s assassin brother took care of the guards and the mages took care of any wards. It was Enelya?s job to sneak into the treasure vault and get the relic and some treasure out. The mages followed her to take care of any wards in the room and the last three stood outside to make sure no-one would interrupt them. She found lots of treasure and brought all she could carry with her. Her brothers helped her and lastly, they were to take the relic. The second they took the relic, however, an alarm sounded. The doors to the treasure vault locked themselves up, and her last three brothers had to flee. A horde of duergar was on its way to the treasure vault. Things looked grim, and there was no hope for her brothers to get them out, not even the mages. Then, all of a sudden, the three Avariel flew into the vault, as there was no roof, and brought Enelya and her brothers out of it. She willingly gave the relic to the Avariel in gratitude, and swore to always remember what they had done for her and her brothers. When she returned to her Matron Mother, there was no end to the satisfaction in her mistress? face. Even the handmaidens were pleased with her.

However, soon came the time when she would rise to power and replace the Matron. After her meeting with the Avariel, she had learned a new way to deal with people and problems that didn?t require the use of the blade. She confronted her Matron Mother with this and told her straight to her face that she loved her and didn?t wish to kill her. After that, she fled the Underdark, seeking refuge among the Avariel she once had helped. Even though they were very suspicious of her, they let her stay with them and taught her a whole new way of living ? a life with love, compassion and empathy.
Seeking her past: Soon came the time when her destiny would take a different turn. An elven merchant from Suldanesselar visited the mountains and the Avariel. He was quick to recognize Enelya and told her everything about her real parents. How her mother had been half drow, half elven, an abomination in the eyes of the drow, and was therefore killed. How her father had been an angel, but was killed in his attempt to save his family. He also told her where she originally came from and showed her the way there. She travelled to the Old World and experienced a sensation of home-coming, something she'd never felt before.
The Old World: The elves in the Old World were very different from the elves she was used to. Where there had been intolerance, hatred and fear, there was tolerance, love and courage. She was quick to join an order of shield-maidens, where she combined her magic, fighting skills and newborn faith in the Goddess and the God. Later on, she sought a more magical road and was initiated as a witch and priestess. She was taught a way to preserve the balance that druids had never even heard of ? channeling their deites to directly influence the balance and make sure nature would follow its natural course. It was a way the gods could protect the balance directly ? through their followers.
Becoming a guardian: The king of the Old World had always been fair and peaceful, and both light elves and dark elves respected him for that. His brother was envious of him and power-hungry, and had formed an army of undead lead by a powerful demon. A messenger was sent to the council of guardians, urging them to send a hero to save them. The council discussed it over and over and finally agreed that Enelya would be best, as she would be able to unite drow and light elves. When Enelya heard of the oncoming war, she came as fast as she could to lend her aid. Drow and light elves were willing to unite, as they all admired the king and knew Enelya was powerful enough to drive back the demon. Under her leadership, the united armies drove back the undead and saved the Old World from the brink of destruction. The demon was defeated by Enelya and the king?s brother had to flee the battle grounds. For showing great prowess in battle, Enelya was appointed guardian of the Old World. She would forever preserve the balance and defend her people from danger.
Meeting with Cyric: Enelya had spent four centuries with her people when she heard of the greatest threat to the balance that had ever been made: Cyric had gathered enough forces to strike at Ao the Overfather. He had placed powerful, demonic guardians to guard roads that were meant to be open at all times and was ready to strike at any deity who would oppose him. Enelya slew his guardians, travelled the planes to weaken his forces and eventually, picked a fight with Cyric himself. To everyone?s surprise, she won the battle and Cyric was forced to surrender. Happy and certain that the council was pleased with her, Enelya returned to the Old World, only to see it in flames. You have failed, the council had said to her and she was forced into exile.
Travelling in Faerūn once more: And so Enelya came to Faerūn again, the only place she could go to. This time she went to Icewind Dale and the Ten-Towns, as she was in no mood for the southern cities. She was careless, however, and fell into the hands of a band of ogres. Luckily, she was rescued before they could harm her. Her rescuer was no other than the famous Drizzt Do?Urden. Her past as a drow had almost left her memory, but when she met him, all the memories came back. They would sit for hours and speak to each other in the drow tongue, make jokes and exchange memories. He made her feel alive again and reminded her of things she had almost forgotten. Unfortunately, he had to leave and she was once again alone.
She travelled to Neverwinter, but found no happiness there. Luskan was no place for her either. However, when she came to Waterdeep, she found some peace for a while. She didn?t know it then, but Waterdeep held a passage to the Underdark, through the dangerous Undermountain. Since the constructions of mad wizards were not of her interests, she stayed only for as long as she needed. Travelling more, she eventually reached Athkatla, where she decided to temporarily settle down.

I'm not sure if I can add Drizzt to the story, but I think it's good for her in one sense. It reminds her of her mortal days and how she's not alone in Faerūn, that she may redeem herself with the help of mortals. When she was immortal, she went into a "slumber", doing only as she was ordered. Drizzt awoke her mortal side, and she felt more "alive". I think it explains why she would want to shack up with a mortal.

Edited by Yochlol, 13 October 2004 - 01:17 AM.

#12 Yochlol

Yochlol
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:28 AM

As to her personality:

- Jokes about men. (My favourite! :D )
- Loves to sing and entertain.
- Confident, but not arrogant.
- More familiar with surfacer humour than Viconia and Solaufein.
- Flirtatous, sometimes without being aware of it.
- Melancholic at times, when thinking or talking about the Old World.
- Secretive, very careful with whom she trusts. (Drow past)
- Tries to help insecure people gaining more confidence.
- Challenges other people's faiths.
- Very secure in her own faith.

If there's anything else you're wondering about when it comes to her personality, just ask away.

Edited by Yochlol, 13 October 2004 - 01:29 AM.

#13 Keltosh

Keltosh
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 01:38 AM

Uhm .. I'm really sorry if I seem to be opposing you at every post..
I really like the story.. BUT...
That story would be ok for some demigod or a lvl 50 character... not for a starting character in BG2. I mean.. she beat Cyric ??. I understand that ppl gets enamored with their mod ideas (I am with the morphed romanceable dragon NPC) but... a character must not be overpowered or inconsistent ... And so it's our duty as fellow BG2 lovers to show you your mistakes.. Hell, as things are Irenicus would abduct and do experiments on HER, not on <charname>
That story is somehow.. too much. Maybe you could change some parts of it. Or add some damn well reasons that explain why she is so weak compared to before.
Also it may prove a bit.. daunting to write the interjections..

"I'm a child of Bhaal"
"So what? I defeated an evil god singlehanded"

Sorry again -- I don't want to put down your mod idea.. I'm just suggesting you to tone it down ..

#14 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:02 AM

Yochlol, be careful that this NPC is not a "Mary Sue". What you have put down here is a nice idea, but far too powerful for the game.

Edited by Shed, 13 October 2004 - 02:05 AM.

#15 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:07 AM

Just a thought: Why not have her story up to where she goes looking for her past. The stuff after that could be encounters after she joins the party. That way the NPC could develop at the same time as the PC.

#16 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:33 AM

Just a thought: Why not have her story up to where she goes looking for her past. The stuff after that could be encounters after she joins the party. That way the NPC could develop at the same time as the PC.

What a good idea ;).

However, all those things happening as encounters would actually be not an NPC but the Enelya TC (with some token Bhaalspawn).

#17 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:37 AM

Not all the events would have to be centered around the NPC. The Cyric part wouldn't have to be, for example (though Ao would smack Cyric down hard if he messed with the PC).

#18 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:49 AM

Well, perhaps, but to me it still sounds far larger than Yochlol originally intended -_-.

#19 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 02:51 AM

True, but not everything has to be in from the beginning. Parts can be added later on, in installments.

This has nothing to do with me trying to suck more people in to modding. Posted Image

#20 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 04:49 AM

This has nothing to do with me trying to suck more people in to modding. Posted Image

Come on, there's no need to hide it :rolleyes: .