Photo

Problems w/ Big Picture in Spellhold?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DoughyGuy

DoughyGuy
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:15 PM

Howdy everyone, I'm posting this in the hopes that you can help me with a problem I've having with my BG2 game, modded with The Big Picture...

The problem has to do with getting into Spellhold. I decided that, since I've played the game before, once I got to Brynnlaw, I would just go straight to Perth's house, get the Wardstone, then head straight up to Spellhold (avoiding the whole Galvena subplot and such)

However, once I got there, I get a message telling me I should remove all my equipment before I proceed to avoid upsetting the other inmates. Now, I believe this is an addition from TBP, because I don't remember it from my previous time through the game unmodded...

I do so, even going to far as to drop everything... But no go... Both doors out of the room are locked and barred from spells/picking/bashing. Irenicus doesn't appear to greet me... nothing.

So, I reloaded my saved game (saved right after I got the Wardstone from Perth), and went into town, and did the whole 'watch the guy get iced/save the courtesan' quest. Back to Spellhold, still nothing...

So, I reloaded again, and decided to have myself comitted to Spellhold the old fashioned way... Strangely enough, people weren't that disturbed by the fact that I was casting Comet in the middle of the Vulgar Monkey, or Magic Missile-ing various people around the town... So, I decided to take it right to the source, and go after the Pirate Lord... Unfortunately, I can't even get inside his home, and his guard doesn't have a key...

So, my question is this: Is this a known problem with TBP, or it's related Mods? Do you have to do something else before you head to Spellhold? Am I missing something obvious here?

Alternately, does anyone know a CLUA code to make Irenicus show up when you get there, and begin his little 'Tour'?

I have a full install of SoA/ToB, patched with 26498, along with The Big Picture, and all it's related components (installed using the manual installation instructions to the letter). Also, I have a couple other mods installed (BanterPack, FlirtPack, and DungeonBeGone). I've been playing this modded version for about a week now, with no other problems, other than a chuckle from the fact that Shadow's now apparently know Mantle! :)

I'd appreciate any help with this issue, and if this is not the proper place for these questions, please let me know where I should take this issue...

Thanks!

<BDG>

#2 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 30 October 2004 - 11:44 PM

I threw a possible answer to you on your PPG post, but I'll add it here too:
Did you talk to Sime and do the whole "vampire-betrayal" thing when you arrived? I believe you need to do that, then talk to Sime again prior to entering Spellhold to set things off.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#3 DoughyGuy

DoughyGuy
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 12:24 AM

It took me a few minutes to pursue that possibility, but the original problem occurred with a game where I used Bodhi's assistance to get there, and Sime didn't show up...

But, with your advice in mind, I went ahead and loaded a concurrent game, where I had used the Shadow Thieves, and did speak to Sime, and the same thing happened, even though I went through the whole thing with saving the courtesan *before* I went to get the wardstone from Perth this time.

I dropped everything everyone was carrying (except Boo, of course) and still nothing...

:) Thanks for your suggestion though

<BDG>

#4 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:07 AM

the problem is being cause by the s_and_h v3 patch, specifically my funky new 'warn ppl they're going to lose their equipment when they enter spellhold' component. strangely, i tested this extensively and it always worked, but there ya go.

there are a number of possible solutions. the first would be: try entering spellhold again. when you get the warning, leave (the door should still be open) and re-enter - i'm guessing everything will work properly.

the second would be download the attached file AR1515.zip, unzip it and place it in yr override folder, and then enter spellhold: you should get the warning, and then the rest of the scene should kick off as normal.

the third option is download the file attached in the next post, AS1515.zip, unzip it and rename it AR1515.bcs, place in yr overide folder, and enter spellhold: AS1515.bcs is the AR1515.bcs file *before* the warning added by the s_and_h v3 patch, so it will work as it always did with big picture.

my preference would be that you try the second solution (the file AR1515.bcs, which is attached to this post) cos then i'll know for sure if the problem was a coding error on my behalf, or a curious local problem on yr install.

Edited by seanas, 31 October 2004 - 04:12 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#5 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:09 AM

err, hlid, i'm not able to attach files with .bcs, .rar or .zip extensions to this forum... any chance of changing my permissions?

in the meantime, doughyboy, try the first solution - enter, get the warning, exit, re-enter.

alternatively, you can get the files from here:

http://uk.geocities....gain/AR1515.zip
http://uk.geocities....gain/AS1515.zip

Edited by seanas, 31 October 2004 - 04:11 AM.

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#6 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:16 AM

The new service provider won't allow zip/rar type files. (Crap.) So I've added a .bcs permission for attachment. I've already done it for .baf files but I guess that's not completely user friendly now is it? :P

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#7 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:18 AM

the files, then: the should-be-working AR1515.bcs, and the old-school AS1515.bcs, to be re-named AR1515.bcs before use

Attached Files

Edited by seanas, 31 October 2004 - 04:20 AM.

#8 DoughyGuy

DoughyGuy
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 08:42 AM

Success!!

I downloaded the attached AR1515.bcs file, and dropped it into my Override folder (overwriting the other one), and I was greeted by the dulcet tones of David Warner as soon as I entered :)

Thank you very much for your help!

<BDG>

#9 DoughyGuy

DoughyGuy
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 01:25 PM

Ok, a little update on what happened in Spellhold after the file was replaced (possibly to help you with some troubleshooting)

Once inside, I didn't get the message telling me to drop my stuff... Instead, the Coordinator greeted me and the tour began. After the tour, and Irenicus revealed to me that Saemon had used Satan's Oregano in my in-voyage dinner, I passed out, then the party was briefly teleported to the small room off of the office.

Everyone dropped everything, and then we were teleported to Bodhi's little playground... Things down there went off without a hitch, and once back topside, I clove Lonk's skull in two with a quarterstaff and the prisoners were set free.

Before the interlude with the conversing inmates, I got the message telling me I had a few minutes, and I was able to go back to the office and the side room to retrieve my gear. Unfortunately, a few items were missing... Namely a couple of Rings Of Holiness Viconia had on her, and (much to my surprise) Boo!!!

I dunno if Boo being AWOL has to do with a side quest that may be part of BP or its components (I remember reading somewhere about a Kidnapping of Boo quest, but I wasn't sure if it was a part of TDD, et al...)

Anyhoo, once I had my gear together, I wandered around for a bit and collected some minor treasures, then me and the inmates had our little pep talk... Then we took on Irenicus, and everything from there seemed to be normal...

So, after the initial bug with the Coordinator not appearing having been fixed, I'm left with a few minor problems that I can easily fix with Shadow Keeper, and I'm going to continue on... I just figured I'd point out a couple of possible problems with the whole shebang... All in all BP and its components are very enjoyable... My favorite part is that it makes the combat much more difficult, and thus more satisfying (Fikragg was, so far, the toughest thing I've run into... I'm almost afraid to take on the souped up Watcher's Keep :blink: )

Anyways... Thanks all for your help....

<BDG>

#10 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 03:17 PM

Before the interlude with the conversing inmates, I got the message telling me I had a few minutes, and I was able to go back to the office and the side room to retrieve my gear. Unfortunately, a few items were missing... Namely a couple of Rings Of Holiness Viconia had on her, and (much to my surprise) Boo!!!

yeah, that's precisely why i added a warning to the player to sequester their items somewhere: the way the item taking/returning works, every possible item has to be specified, otherwise it's lost when you get yr gear back - such as yr ring of holiness. re: boo, i'm guessing you've got unfinished business installed, but the upshot of losing boo is simply that minsc has an extra quickslot available.

#11 DoughyGuy

DoughyGuy
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 04:53 PM

yeah, that's precisely why i added a warning to the player to sequester their items somewhere: the way the item taking/returning works, every possible item has to be specified, otherwise it's lost when you get yr gear back - such as yr ring of holiness. re: boo, i'm guessing you've got unfinished business installed, but the upshot of losing boo is simply that minsc has an extra quickslot available.

View Post

Well, ya know, all in all, it wasn't that bad... Only three items were missing, and I got plenty of stuff from the dungeon anyhoo... But thanks for shedding some light on it... I'm currently playing 4 concurrent games (1 for each of the Bioware romances), and this is the first of those games that has made it to Spellhold... The other three times, I'm gonna toss everything into Perth's house before the fight (there's more than enough gear down below to equip my party for the fight w/ Irenicus) just to be safe :)

Oh, and I had to give Boo back to Minsc... Otherwise it's like Laverne without Shirley, Batman without Robin, the Ram without the Lamalamadingdong... :D Besides, Minsc is my tank, and all I keep in his quick items is Potions of Invuln.

Again, thanks for your help

<BDG>

#12 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 31 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

As for the thieft of Boo, that happens in the Unfinished Business mod. The area it happens in is the Docks, so even if you had it installed, it wouldn't have triggered in Spellhold.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#13 amazinggameguru

amazinggameguru

Spellhold Inmate

• 188 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 11:07 AM

Would it be possible to transfer all of your things to one of the containers in the room instead of just dropping them? I ran into the same problem and as a workaround I did a ctrl+j into the room and placed all items in the dresser next to the bed. That way there is no item decay.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#14 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 03:08 PM

Would it be possible to transfer all of your things to one of the containers in the room instead of just dropping them?  I ran into the same problem and as a workaround I did a ctrl+j into the room and placed all items in the dresser next to the bed.  That way there is no item decay.

yeah, the table just inside spellhold on the right hand wall as you enter is a good place to bag up and leave yr goods: no item decay, and ya get the stuff back before you leave spellhold.

re: boo. unfinished business adds new boo items to make the theft of boo possible; i'm guessing this new boo isn't in the list of items to be returned - hence, no boo when you get yr stuff back.

#15 jaegar

jaegar
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:58 PM

Would it be possible to transfer all of your things to one of the containers in the room instead of just dropping them?  I ran into the same problem and as a workaround I did a ctrl+j into the room and placed all items in the dresser next to the bed.  That way there is no item decay.

yeah, the table just inside spellhold on the right hand wall as you enter is a good place to bag up and leave yr goods: no item decay, and ya get the stuff back before you leave spellhold.

re: boo. unfinished business adds new boo items to make the theft of boo possible; i'm guessing this new boo isn't in the list of items to be returned - hence, no boo when you get yr stuff back.

View Post

Uh wow, I totally missed out on this on my last game. I got the the msg "remove all my equipment before proceed to avoid upsetting the other inmates" and zoned back out, unequiped everything everyone had on (armors, rings etc stuffed in inventory), zoned back in Spellhold and the disguised Irenicus greeted me properly.

After he finishes with his whole charade I re-equipped everyone and went to Bodhi's playground.

What am I missing here? Are we supposed to battle thru Bodhi's place without any equipment?

#16 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 05:03 PM

What am I missing here? Are we supposed to battle thru Bodhi's place without any equipment?

yep. as you describe, you have to dodge it to avoid losing yr gear during the maze.

(unless yr playing on easiest, of course, in which case you don't lose yr stuff)

Edited by seanas, 01 November 2004 - 05:05 PM.

#17 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:26 AM

Blame Hlid. He suggested this to Horred. :P

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#18 amazinggameguru

amazinggameguru

Spellhold Inmate

• 188 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:16 PM

View Post

Bastard! ;) It definitely makes things interesting not having your items. Some of the toughest battles in the game result from this. I had a really hard time against the trolls(the one where you put the troll head on the altar) and against the ulithariad that is trapped in the westernmost room where you are collecting coins.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

#19 Radagast-The-Brown

Radagast-The-Brown
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 03:58 AM

View Post

Bastard! ;) It definitely makes things interesting not having your items. Some of the toughest battles in the game result from this. I had a really hard time against the trolls(the one where you put the troll head on the altar) and against the ulithariad that is trapped in the westernmost room where you are collecting coins.

View Post

One of the finest Hlid's suggestions if I might add...and also VERY realistic since Jon& Bodhi are supposed to leave u to your death...
PS : I just wish there wasnt the container bug, then we wouldnt have to dum our items before in a safe place.
Ignorance Is Bliss

#20 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 09:05 AM

Bodhi might have given back your gear (possibly missing any anti-undead stuff) just to make things more interesting. Of course, you've already beat her once by that point if you sided with the STs, so maybe not.