Photo

Alchemy

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:03 PM

I can't seem to figure out how to work the achemy lesson in candlekeep. How do you know if you've got it right?

#2 russ

russ

bilbo_faramir

• 78 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 08:28 AM

I can't seem to figure out how to work the achemy lesson in candlekeep.  How do you know if you've got it right?

View Post

I think it's a bug in the AR3504.bcs script though since I didn't write the mod I can't tell. (A missing ! in front of potion 2?) It's funny how many of us are going through the quests at about the same time.

#3 Shiva

Shiva
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:08 PM

Not funny at all, russ...

being as you can't ever escape candlekeep cause of all the chores... well... everybody is stuck there until they reinstall! :D

#4 russ

russ

bilbo_faramir

• 78 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:40 AM

being as you can't ever escape candlekeep cause of all the chores... well... everybody is stuck there until they reinstall! :D

View Post

SPOILER!

I was hoping CBisson or someone else more familiar with the mod would answer your question. The reason is that this might be intentional. (Maybe you weren't intended to complete the lesson, I don't know I didn't write the mod.)

You don't have to reinstall the game. If you have DLTCEP or Near Infinity you can simply edit the AR3504.bcs file. If it isn't in your override directory you would first export it there. Then on line 72 you would insert an ! in front of the word "contains".
This is what it should look like after you finish

70 IF
71 Global("CbTethtorilTeaches","AR3504",1)
72 !Contains("CBPOWDR2","CBTCHPN1") // CBTCHPN1
73 Global("CbCheckDustTwo","AR3504",1)
74 THEN
75 RESPONSE #100
76 SetGlobal("CbCheckDustTwo","AR3504",0)
77 IncrementGlobal("CbPotionBeingCreated","AR3504",-1)
78 Continue()
79 END

(BTW there should be tabs and indents in the above. The process of posting got rid of them. When you open the file in one of the programs you'll see the indents.)

Then make sure to save the edited file back into your override and that should be it. I placed the spoiler warning at the beginning of this reply because by looking into this file you'll figure what needs to be done. If you don't want to cheat then try not to look at the rest of the file.

#5 CBisson

CBisson
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:29 PM

I was hoping CBisson or someone else more familiar with the mod would answer your question.

Then on line 72 you would insert an ! in front of the word "contains".

First, I never thought to look that closely at the script. Back on the TeamBG boards, I had 2 people playtest the entire Candlekeep quests. they resolved all the bugs as the game was intended. The issue that Russ brings up was a "potential troubleshooting" equation for a "potential resolution" that some players may have attempted. I had set the script as it was, and since no one has had that problem to date, never looked back at it. With all the complaints regarding Candlekeep, I tend to push the Candlekeep bugs to the bottom of my to do list as Candlekeep works *as intended* without regard for the multitude of possiblilities of completing it. As Russ points out the error in my scripting, I took a look at the master script myself, and confirmed that it is the cause and solution. The issue has been resolved on the master script so future versions will not require the above changes.
Play SoS! And then play CtB!

#6 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 06:15 PM

And just when would one of the future versions be due?

#7 CBisson

CBisson
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 06:44 PM

When I get a suit of bricks and mortar and a stove pipe hat.
Play SoS! And then play CtB!

#8 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 01:10 PM

In that case, what's your mailing address? I've been looking for someone to take this suit off of my hands.

#9 radish_hoedown

radish_hoedown
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 November 2004 - 02:40 PM

and who wants this damn hat?

#10 macgregor98

macgregor98
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 12:25 AM

hey,

where am i gonna find this file. i looked all through my bg2 folder. i even "unzipped" the game/core files again to no avail. what am i doing wrong.

thanx in advance

#11 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

View Post

SPOILER!

I was hoping CBisson or someone else more familiar with the mod would answer your question. The reason is that this might be intentional. (Maybe you weren't intended to complete the lesson, I don't know I didn't write the mod.)

You don't have to reinstall the game. If you have DLTCEP or Near Infinity you can simply edit the AR3504.bcs file. If it isn't in your override directory you would first export it there. Then on line 72 you would insert an ! in front of the word "contains".
This is what it should look like after you finish

70 IF
71 Global("CbTethtorilTeaches","AR3504",1)
72 !Contains("CBPOWDR2","CBTCHPN1") // CBTCHPN1
73 Global("CbCheckDustTwo","AR3504",1)
74 THEN
75 RESPONSE #100
76 SetGlobal("CbCheckDustTwo","AR3504",0)
77 IncrementGlobal("CbPotionBeingCreated","AR3504",-1)
78 Continue()
79 END

(BTW there should be tabs and indents in the above. The process of posting got rid of them. When you open the file in one of the programs you'll see the indents.)

Then make sure to save the edited file back into your override and that should be it. I placed the spoiler warning at the beginning of this reply because by looking into this file you'll figure what needs to be done. If you don't want to cheat then try not to look at the rest of the file.

Tried this and nothing happens, Tethoril just stands there. I put the mace, cayenne, cumin, and poppy (cbpowdr1,2,5,6) in the stand that says potion of fire protection. Then put the grape and nutmeg (cbpowdr3,4) in the one that says potion of mind focusing. Tethoril has nothing to say. Very frustrating because without this no BG2...

#12 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 09:20 PM

Chores Fast Forward?? :D Damn I haven't done the alchemy in a long time. I think I was successful without hacking anything. Don't you have to click on one more point or something after you put the ingredients in? Sorry I am still waiting for some spoilers about the strange flowers to feed to the cows. You get that?
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

Posted Image The Definitive Guide to Trolls

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#13 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:24 AM

This is really PAINFUL. The chores themselves could be survived by cntrl-j (jump) and cntrl-t (time), but this is a brick wall.

Tried setting SetGlobal("CbCheckDustOne","AR3504",0) then the rest of the powders, then the global 0, 1, -1.

Then SetGlobal("CbPotionBeingCreated","AR3504",0) then global 0, 1, -1. After each setting talked to him and still has nothing to say.

If you install FastForward do you just choose abilities or do you have to do these tests again? I have lost my patience with this.

#14 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:10 AM

Fast Forward will work from the time the first day of chores is done. After Gorion says oh the hell with it and you pick your spells. However, I do all the days and then for the last I do the fast forward so I get all the special powers. Minus dispel magic, I guess that one really depends on classes and stuff, or you are suppose to fail it altogether.
WICKED! :vbat:

I will try the alchemy in my bit, but I am not really in a BG2 game. Just farting around applying some of my fixies from my old megalegamod.
?May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies.? - Voltaire

"If you think that a size of the mod indicates an amount of bugs that it introduces and their severity you're totally wrong...
Try not to use next time a load of shitty "super-mega-improving-tweaking-revising" small mods that you have installed and try to meet Wulfgar once again."
- King Diamond

"Finding food and a place to sleep is your own business. I imagine Paul the Cat should have some fun with you, too" - Potencius in The Darkest Day
"You have been warned, little bastard!" -Khelben to a young <CHARNAME>in Check the Bodies
There are those who will snivel, and offer nothing in return except criticism, meanwhile never lifting a finger to do other than to cut other peoples labor down simply for the fact that they lack the capability to put anything of their own together. -erebusant

#15 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hmm, I'm on day 3 and got hardiness, dispel magic, and now no alchemy. How many days left?

Just to be clear - do you use FF just to skip chores then go to special night lesson to get ability? If so I might still be stuck where I am. Ugh.

#16 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

Oh you have the dialog after you have done the chores (any day). When you talk to Mr.G about the lessons. If you have FF, then there should be an option for you to ask about skipping the chores. He will say, "what do you want to learn?" So you get 5 lessons in one dialog option.

Edited by Hoppy, 09 May 2008 - 11:15 AM.

- King Diamond

#17 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:18 PM

Five days of chores! Aaahhhhggg. Ok, so I won't miss any special abilities then with FF? Time to install. Thanks Hoppy!

By the way I remember a post from King Diamond that said maybe special abilities would help you complete chores quicker, but I just picked ones more appropriate for my paladin.

Cheers

#18 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

Don't you need to uninstall the End_Biff first or can FF go right on top?

By the way I remember a post from King Diamond that said maybe special abilities would help you complete chores quicker, but I just picked ones more appropriate for my paladin.

I am waiting to see if King Diamond will help with my question about the super milking cows. I know it can be done, I just don't know how. Maybe I need hardiness first.

Paladins can learn the Dispel magic from Chores? Good to know. That makes sense because usually my mages can't.

- King Diamond

#19 maximus2001

maximus2001
  • 525 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Didn't have to remove the end biff. Just took out BGT Music and GUI, then FF. Then reinstalled the rest. Thankfully it fixed the problem.

Thing is when I did the chores for the first two days I got dispel magic and hardiness. When FF gave me the abilities (from a save on the third day) I got hardiness again but not dispel magic. Maybe it choked during the chores for alchemy because its not really an ability for fighters?

At any rate I'm just happy it worked!

#20 Hoppy

Hoppy

Mage Hunter

• 2107 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 08:32 PM

The last time I did it was with a fighter. I can't remember but there is another BCS like CBTCHxx or something that may have other triggers. Or look at his dialog.

- King Diamond