Beginning the work on an installer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:21 PM

Well, I have now played through SoA/RoT and although IŽll still try to fix one thing, itŽs time to start the work on an installer. I have some other things currently but I should be able to use friday and saturday on this. With luck the upload can begin on saturday, which reminds me, where can I upload this? IŽd need a place where the installer could only be downloaded by the beta-testers (password protected or something). After a couple of weeks of testing (depending on how it goes), the mod would be released to public.

With that famous luck, the release date is 1.12.2004. It will most likely be moved. :P Maybe 1.5.2005 would be realistic...No, seriously, it is finally going to be released. :ph34r:

Well, anyway, IŽll probably need some help with that installer so prepare for questions in this post. :) IŽll go to do those other things now and return on friday.

P.S. Beta-testers, please report that you are still in business. :thumb:

#2 Eon Blue Apocalypse

Eon Blue Apocalypse
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 02:44 PM

Thta's great! :thumb: :)

#3 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:08 PM

How big will the mod be once it is compressed? I could provide a password protected account for the betatesters on my personal FTP site; maximum downstream bandwidth is 60KB/s. If you need more speed, maybe Neil does something like this with other betatesters here at FW, so you may want to query him. There are other people that have web/FTP space too, just look for some download links in the Completed IE Mods section of the forums to get an idea of who has their own space.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#4 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:09 AM

I have no idea of the size. Probably something like 200-300 mb. I have a 56K modem which moves stuff with 4,5KB/s speed so I donŽt think IŽll be needing more than 60KB/s... ;)

Anyway, IŽd be happy to upload to your FTP site but be prepared that the upload will take time. Is it OK?

#5 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 03:41 PM

I'm a patient guy, trust me. :) I sent you a PM with the specifics.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#6 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 02:07 AM

OK, that exe - building looks quite complicated. Actually I havenŽt got a clue what to do now. So, could somebody help me? First of all, what do I do with the files now (which are mostly in the override)? I was thinking that I 'prepare' the mod - files, send them to WizardŽs FTP and then somebody could download the files and make the installer. Hopefully this wouldnŽt be too big of a job as I really wouldnŽt have time for studying exe - making.

Other option would be that I just send the files to the FTP site with a manual which tells where they must be put and let people download.

So, could anyone do this installer? IŽll let this be here a week and if no-one is willing, IŽll do that other option.

Thanks!

#7 Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
  • Modder
  • 215 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 01:28 PM

OK, IŽll just do that other option. I really need to get this out of my "list of things to do". IŽll put the files in biffs (+ some into .zipŽs), write a short manual where to put the files, upload everything to WizardŽs FTP and let people download. WeŽll just skip the beta-testing part. There are not enough people waiting for the release for it to really matter. The first whoŽll play the mod will be the beta-testers. ;)

IŽll contact teh Wizard as soon as I have everything ready and the upload can begin. After every file has been uploaded, the forum can be moved to Released Mods.

#8 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 07:29 PM

Let us know. Perhaps someone will repackage it down the road...

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.