Sarevok BG1 Bug

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Garren

Garren
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 10:36 AM

Hey there, I'm new and got a question/little problem:

I installed BP-BGT-NEJ (took me a couple of times, but I accepted that "Vodoo-Thing" :D ). I've played through whole BG1 now and have to kill Sarevok.
So far so good, but there seems to be a very mean bug. Every time I kill Sarevok he just falls down and drops his stuff - the ending movie's not even loading or something. Also I'm not able to pick up his stuff, his stiff body is kinda blocking it...

I tried to kill him by cheating, (after 3 times re-loading showed no difference) but then he falls down and the game seems to load the movie and then just does nothing. It only shows the blank battlefiled (no menues or interface - like when pressing the H button, or when loading ingame sequences) and nothing happens.

Anyone got a fix for that problem? I think I know the answer already: "RE-INSTALL". But it took me some time to get this far, and I don't want to loose my savegames (though I guess that would be a necessary step for a re-install :( ).

So long,
Garren

P.S.: I'm already sorry for my bad English, but I'm just a german pupil :D

#2 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:31 AM

Did your other "movies" play during the game? The ones between each chapter?

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#3 Garren

Garren
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:48 AM

That's also a thing that makes me wonder...
All movies between the chapters have played perfect so far, except this one.

#4 Garren

Garren
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 05:14 AM

Well, now everything is solved. It turned out, that I had to kill Sarevoks friends too.
Now I got another problem...
I've already read about it that some party mebers start to leave in te Duchal Palace, and that I've got to install the patch to avoid that...
But it seems that I can't install it, there's always an error message... something about a translation thing... Can anybody tell me whats wrong with that???

Garren

#5 Garren

Garren
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 06:56 AM

Nobody who can help me, or am I just to impacient?
The problem is not the translation thing anymore, I got past that...
Now the program seems unable to install the BP s_&_h patch:

ERROR locating resource:
Resource [SHARTEJ.DLG] not found in KEY file:
[./chitin.key]
ERROR: problem processing D files: Failure("resource [SHARTEJ.DLG] not found")

thats all I've seen of the patch so far.

So long,
Garren.

Edited by Garren, 15 November 2004 - 06:56 AM.

#6 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:57 AM

I don't think anyone could have helped before since you didn't tell us exactly what is wrong.

So now that we know, have you gotten this error everytime you installed the patch? I haven't seen this one so I am not sure what the problem is. Maybe Seanas has a clue on this.

Just a thought, but did you biff the override files yourself?

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#7 Garren

Garren
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 12:10 PM

I'm sorry, if my questions weren't all that clear.

I got the Error everytime I tried to install the patch on my BP-BGT-NEJ install (I don't have any other content installed than the standards, if this helps somehow).
For your question: Nope I didn't biff the stuff myself (for I wouldn't have known how to do this :D ).

#8 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 05:27 PM

ok, that's a worry if it can't find a version of a basic game dialog file. does yr game (without the s_and_h patch) actually run?

at any rate, try downloading this file, adding it into the BGTDlgs folder within the BP_s_and_h_Patch folder (ie, replacing the current Replace.D file), and installing the s_and_h patch again. it will circumvent the problem you were having, although that's not to say it will be the last problem you have installing the patch (but we can hope, yeah?)

Attached Files

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling
"EFF files have saves, too." - CamDawg
|| this is radio seanas || BP Series v3 || seanas at work ||

#9 Garren

Garren
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 05:11 AM

@seanas:Your solution/circumventon/whatever worked :thumb: , everything installed smoothly and right :) , thanks for your help.

And yeah, the game runs pretty good actually (except for some minor things, like the tags on the map, which showed the dialouge of a beggar in the BG-Sewers :D ) otherwise I wouldn't have come that far.

#10 mildImp

mildImp
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 07:55 AM

Me smells a corrupted install. In my experience, issues like the one your describing with the map tags and other dialog problems almost always indicate a fubared install. Although, I have seen this problem reported if non-compatible mods are installed as well.

#11 Garren

Garren
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 09:43 AM

I've thought of that too, but everything except that seems to work allright, so I didn't bother...

#12 -Antilles-

-Antilles-

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:26 PM

Bumping an old topic, but I don't know where else to turn. I'm running BGT 115 and I'm having basically the same issue as the original poster. After killing Sarevok the game kind of hangs or something. I still have control over the characters, but the exit door disappears (we're still in the same AR number though). Sarevok's body kind of blocks me from getting his stuff, and I don't get an end movie or teleportation or anything. I've tried using the console to get back to the Duchal Palace, but Belt and the female Duke have nothing to say to me. If someone can at least tell me to set a Global or something I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

#13 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:38 PM

what game are you playing? if yr playing BP-BGT, and you've installed the BGT 1.15 patch, then there's yr problem, because that thing aint compatible (neither is the 1.14 patch - they both fix bugs already fixed in BP-BGT).

if yr playing a straight BGT game, then, umm, maybe someone will be able to help you, but the whole reason you install BP-BGT is to get rid of all the bugs in astraight BGT game...

"A simple test of the relative merits of science and religion is to compare lighting your house at night by prayer or electricity" - A. C. Grayling

#14 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:50 PM

what game are you playing? if yr playing BP-BGT, and you've installed the BGT 1.15 patch, then there's yr problem, because that thing aint compatible (neither is the 1.14 patch - they both fix bugs already fixed in BP-BGT).

if yr playing a straight BGT game, then, umm, maybe someone will be able to help you, but the whole reason you install BP-BGT is to get rid of all the bugs in astraight BGT game...

View Post

I'm just playing the BGT only, I don't really want any of the other mods.

#15 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 11:42 PM

Did you kill all of Saravok's allies as the other poster discovered was his problem?

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#16 -Antilles-

-Antilles-

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:01 AM

Did you kill all of Saravok's allies as the other poster discovered was his problem?

View Post

Yes I did, it didn't help :( I've contacted Bardez via e-mail, maybe he can see what the problem is

#17 Sara Blackhand

Sara Blackhand
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:40 AM

I don't think anyone could have helped before since you didn't tell us exactly what is wrong.

So now that we know, have you gotten this error everytime you installed the patch?  I haven't seen this one so I am not sure what the problem is.  Maybe Seanas has a clue on this.

Just a thought, but did you biff the override files yourself?

View Post

ERROR locating resource:
[./chitin.key]

I have the excact same problem installing the , playing bp-bgt-nej.
I used the autoinstall and it biffed as it should,
NI cant find/dont report SHARTEJ.DLG as found
Not in the override nor in any of the bifs as far as i could see

Edited by Sara Blackhand, 23 December 2004 - 03:43 AM.

#18 seanas

seanas
  • Modder
  • 1906 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:12 AM

ERROR locating resource:
[./chitin.key]

I have the excact same problem installing the , playing bp-bgt-nej.
I used the autoinstall  and it biffed as it should,
NI cant find/dont report SHARTEJ.DLG as found
Not in the override nor in any of the bifs as far as i could see

as i said above, i really have no idea why the s_and_h patch sometimes cannot find the SHARTEJ.DLG file; however, the Replace.D file posted above, when placed in the BGTDlgs folder within the BP_s_and_h_Patch directory, and the patch run again, will solve the problem.

(nor do i have any idea why NI can't find it: after - or before, as you choose - you've run the patch sara, could you check Shar-teel's .cre file and see which dialog is assigned to her? if it isn't SHARTEJ.DLG, then we'll be able to fix the patch by having it check for whichever dlg file *is* assigned to her .cre).

Edited by seanas, 23 December 2004 - 07:13 AM.

#19 Sara Blackhand

Sara Blackhand
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:54 AM

(nor do i have any idea why NI can't find it: after - or before, as you choose - you've run the patch sara, could you check Shar-teel's .cre file and see which dialog is assigned to her? if it isn't SHARTEJ.DLG, then we'll be able to fix the patch by having it check for whichever dlg file *is* assigned to her .cre).

View Post

I am spending the next couple of days with the family but will test it on saturday and post my results. Not a biggie I have most liklely messed up someting so i need to reinstall anyway :^^:

Thanks Sara

Edited by Sara Blackhand, 23 December 2004 - 09:50 AM.

#20 -Antilles-

-Antilles-

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:43 PM

I figured it out! Somehow, even though I fought Tazok, the SPRITE_IS_DEADTAZOK variable didn't get set to 1. So it was getting hung here:

IF
 Global("SarevokBoutToDie","GLOBAL",2)
 Dead("Tazok") // Tazok
 Dead("Galdor") // Angelo
 Dead("Semaj") // Semaj
 Global("EndOfBG1","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
 RESPONSE #100
  AddexperienceParty(10000)
  SetGlobal("EndOfBG1","GLOBAL",1)
  TriggerActivation("Door7223",TRUE)
  Wait(3)
  StartMovie("ENDMOVIE")
  ActionOverride("BGSarvok",DestroySelf())
  Wait(7)
  DisplayString(Player1,106625) // As the murderous frenzy subsides, you realize that victory is yours.  Sarevok is no more, and he will never be able to bother you or the Realms again.  With war averted and its drive destroyed, you realize that it would be best to report back to the Duchal Palace and properly relate to all in power exactly what has transpired, how, and why.
  Continue()

I'm going to check the Tazok script, see if there's a bug there or if it was just a one time glitch of some sort.