CTD at Windspear Hills

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 russ

russ

bilbo_faramir

• 78 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 11:17 PM

I was ready to travel to Windspear yesterday when I had a CTD. (I've been sick the last couple of days so have had plenty of time to troubleshoot.) I found two typos with the ar1200 files and I finally figured out how to fix them. I don't know if by doing so I changed the mod so I hesitate to post them but if CBisson is reading I'd be glad to email them to you.

The first was easy (and I don't know which correction actually solved the problem). I noticed that a paragraph block was repeated in ar1200.bcs so I deleted one of them and placed the edited bcs in my override.

In ar1200.are I noticed that there was extra code between the containers and the ambients (I first noticed it in Near Infinity and then I used a hex editor and saw that there was 32 or 64 extra bytes of data that was throwing off everything after that point). Like an idiot I kept trying to correct that file. Finally, about an hour ago I realized that I had copy of that file from before installing mods (I was using it to compare with the modded ar1200.are file) and that it would be easier to work with that file. There were only two real differences between the files, one was the number of spawn points and the other was the peach tree container. I took that pre mod file, used Near Infinity to add in the peach tree container and trigger point (along with vertices) (I didn't bother with the extra spawn points) saved it to my override and was able to travel to ar1200. :D

Having gone through this process I realize that I may have the uncorrected tp2 file (though I don't know if this relates to ar1200). I am almost certain that the extra bytes in ar1200.are were the xy coordinates for the vertices. I was trying to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling all the mods (I have about ten mods on top of CtB plus I don't want to start the game from the beginning). If I do have the old tp2 file does this mean my whole game is messed up or is it just a couple more areas?

Anyway, thanks, your mods are worth all this time spent troubleshooting. :thumb:

#2 radish_hoedown

radish_hoedown
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 12:20 PM

no, i have the updated tp2 file. it crashes out on me too.
also, if you try going into umar caves you should have a similar problem.. how would i go about fixing these..?
thanks, radish hoedown.

#3 russ

russ

bilbo_faramir

• 78 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 01:35 PM

In addition to making the changes above I also traveled to the area by first going to the City Gates. For some reason this made a difference.

Edited by russ, 16 November 2004 - 01:35 PM.

#4 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 02:43 PM

I've beaten both Windspear Hills and Umar hills with CtB installed...twice. And i've never experienced any sort of crash. Are you SURE there isn't something specificly wrong with your install?

#5 CBisson

CBisson
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 04:43 PM

I rechecked the area files. All is in order for a BGII-CtB install.

As to the double module in AR1200.BCS, it is doubled because this area requires the first script module to have the trigger oNcREATION() [inverted caps intended here] and CtB adds a module to that script's top, requiring me to duplicate the module. It wouldn't have any effect on the loading of the area.

For the original problem,

I am almost certain that the extra bytes in ar1200.are were the xy coordinates for the vertices.

, your statement leads me to believe that the extra bytes were tossed into the area file because of multiple installs of CtB and the unpatched file was not replaced, but amended more than once.
Play SoS! And then play CtB!

#6 russ

russ

bilbo_faramir

• 78 posts

Posted 17 November 2004 - 05:21 PM

I rechecked the area files.  All is in order for a BGII-CtB install.

As to the double module in AR1200.BCS, it is doubled because this area requires the first script module to have the trigger oNcREATION()  [inverted caps intended here]  and CtB adds a module to that script's top, requiring me to duplicate the module.  It wouldn't have any effect on the loading of the area.

For the original problem,

I am almost certain that the extra bytes in ar1200.are were the xy coordinates for the vertices.

, your statement leads me to believe that the extra bytes were tossed into the area file because of multiple installs of CtB and the unpatched file was not replaced, but amended more than once.

View Post

You know that sounds right. Thanks for answering.

#7 -Guest_Luthien_*-

-Guest_Luthien_*-

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:45 PM

I have the same problem, but i dont know how to fix it... i have no idea what the guy who started the post did to solve it (dun know anything about opening BG files or anything like that). Any1 have any other way to solve it?

I got BP and CtB installed.