Experience Point Bug

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 02:40 PM

I hope i'm not being annoying, but I found another bug. This never happened to me before I installed CtB.

I'll spend loads of time earnin oodles of XP, but whenever I load a saved game (even auto and quicksaves), it resets my XP back down to 3150000.

Using CLUA or Shadowkeeper doesn't work. It still resets it whenever I load a game.

Any workaround suggestions? It seems I just keep running into these kind of things.

#2 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 04:21 PM

Still trying to fix this. No luck so far. I did discover that it starts reseting my XP to 315000 when I reach level 25.

Has anyone else experienced this problem at all?

#3 CBisson

CBisson
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:11 PM

Sounds like it's your XPCAP.2DA file. CtB doesn't touch that. In fact, neither SoS nor CtB touches that file.
Play SoS! And then play CtB!

#4 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:13 PM

Sounds like it's your XPCAP.2DA file.  CtB doesn't touch that.  In fact, neither SoS nor CtB touches that file.

View Post

Does anyone have an unmodified XPCAP.2DA file they could mail me? Send in to blitzerland@hotmail.com (not blitz@hotmail.com...sorry)

Sorry about writing "blitz@hotmail.com." I just got it.

Please make sure it is the ToB version.

Edited by Blitz, 19 November 2004 - 05:24 PM.

#5 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:28 PM

How about one that sets the cap to 20,000,000? Just change the file extension from txt to 2da.

Attached Files

#6 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:29 PM

How about one that sets the cap to 20,000,000?  Just change the file extension from txt to 2da.

View Post

You know what? That just might be better. :D

#7 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:33 PM

And...it works!

Thanks, CBisson, for spotting the problem!

And thanks to Stone Wolf for fixing it, of course!

*Runs around in circles chanting 'yes' 'yes' 'yes'

#8 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 05:45 PM

NOOOOO!!!

Upon further testing...it didn't fix it. Are you SURE it isn't CtB, CBission?

Ah, well. I give up. Doing a full reinstall.

#9 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:15 PM

You could use NI to search all scripts for the xp value you get set to. That'll find out if it's a script messing things up.

#10 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:20 PM

Good idea.

Too bad I spazzed out, deleted BG2 (after copying character files and my saved game, and all mod installers, extractors, yada yada), and i'm reinstalling as I type (i'm typing from a seperate CPU as not to intefere with installation).

It was about time I reinstalled anyway.

Thanks for your help, and i'm gonna download that 20 mil XP cap again ASAP once installation finishes.

One question, what good is a 20 million XP cap if I can't go beyond level 40 anyway? I'll download it just for the huge number, though. :)

#11 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:23 PM

And on a side note, I must've logged myself off by accident...somehow.

You know, i'd be a filthy weasel if I said I was having a good day.

#12 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:50 PM

One question, what good is a 20 million XP cap if I can't go beyond level 40 anyway? I'll download it just for the huge number, though.  :)

There are several level 50 rulepacks floating around. I believe one is in Westley Weimer's Ease-of-Use mod.

I myself made one which allows you to have 50/50/50 fighter/mage/thieves and fighter/mage/clerics, and reach level 49 in one class, then dual and reach level 50 in another! :D Obviously you'd either have to play through the game several times or cheat to get that powerful ;).

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 November 2004 - 06:53 PM

I don't cheat. The only time I came close to cheating was when I "granted" my character a custom item I made (Red Tabby +5).

He deserved it, though, as he had made it through SoA and ToB eight times apeice.

#14 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:18 PM

I'm wondering if you'd been playing a particular kit or mod-kit that would have an XP penalty applied.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#15 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 07:59 PM

I'm playing as a Swashbuckler, and I have the grandmastery/truemastery ease-of-use installed...but that only lets me get more proficincies (why shouldn't a Swashbuckler be able to get even better with a longsword??), and doesn't really modify the kit.

Oh, and I recently did a clean-install (patched, etc), and I still have this problem.

Man, this is perplexing. Could some benevolent person take a look at my saved game or character file?

EDIT: Sorry, but it is getting late and i'm barely awake/alive. I'll post more in the morning. Let me know if you think of anything, or, email me at appleseth4@centurytel.net (my other address)....please :(

*And then the poor, buggered newbie sobbed quietly to himself, as the aura of doom crept silently upon him*

Edited by Blitz, 19 November 2004 - 08:02 PM.

#16 KMA

KMA
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 02:09 AM

Blitz, you are not alone.

I too have hit the XP cap problem. My first time through CtB v148 I maxed out at 2.8m just as in an unmodded SOA game. I figured the XP cap remover was overwritten or overridden somehow. Several other Ease-of_Use elements were flaky as well. For example, scrolls would stack but not potions.

I reloaded EoU and all was fine untill I maxed experience. I reloaded the XP cap remover and then I experienced Blitz's problem. Experience would increase during game play. But once the game was reeloaded experience was reset to 2.8m.

I did a reinstall and upgrade to v150. I haven't had any EoU issues in my current game. My character is closing in on 2.8m. I'll let you know if I have the problem again.

#17 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 20 November 2004 - 03:00 AM

Got the same problem.

Decreasing values in XPCAP.2da to 1950000 sets max game experience to 1950000 pts. So the XPCAP.2da of the override-folder will be used.

Setting all values in XPCAP.2da to -1 and using CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP("5000000") at the beginning of a new game in Chateau Irenicus works.
So the 2950000 XP Cab restriction must be introduced somewhere in the game...

#18 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:19 AM

Yes! I'm not alone!

I tried installing XP cap removers, but it doesn't work.

Maybe CBission will drop in in an hour or so and enlighten us.

#19 -guest-

-guest-

Posted 20 November 2004 - 05:36 AM

Increasing the values via hex-editor in ..\data\default.bif (or setting them to -1) and deleting xpcap.2da from override has the same effect: max game experience is 2950000 pts.
Deleting all *.bcs-files from override has the same effect: max game experience is 2950000 pts.

#20 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 20 November 2004 - 06:03 AM

Wierd. But I haven't deleted anything from my overide folder yet.

It sure looks like this was included purposly in CtB.

*Blows modder summoning horn