Photo

A whole new setting in DA

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it good to have a whole new campaign setting? (17 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it good to have a whole new campaign setting?

1. Yes, definately (12 votes [70.59%])

Percentage of vote: 70.59%

2. No, absolutely not (2 votes [11.76%])

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

3. Dunno (3 votes [17.65%])

Percentage of vote: 17.65%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:48 AM

I don't mind high fantasy (tolkien-like world), but all games in the same corner of the world (sword coast), really made me frustrated.
I welcome Bioware's decision, it was a wise one. They are not encumbered with licenses and other crap that hinders development. Hopefully they hired talented people who are able to build a complete world from the grounds up.

View Post

Only Toril has enough space for another 10 RPG's. But I do wonder why Bioware set all his D&D games on the Sword Coast.

Personally, I don't have anything against a new setting, as a concept. But : in BG were more than 300 spells. DA will probably have a lot of spells too and when I think that I had to get used with them again, my enthuziasm crashes.

#22 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 05:02 AM

I expect that many of the spells will perform similar functions to those you are already used to. It could, in some cases, be a case of different name and shiny animation. However, some spells will be entirely original, and surely that ought to inspire some enthusiasm :)?

As for the setting, I think it is just as important that BW have full control of their environment than they place their game in somewhere familiar. Before long we will all be used to the DA setting and lore :). But yes, I'm not quite sure where the fascination with the Sword Coast came from.

#23 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:21 AM

But yes, I'm not quite sure where the fascination with the Sword Coast came from.

We are all already familiar with it. Some people feel more comfortable playing in a world which they know a lot about. :D

#24 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:05 AM

DA will probably have a lot of spells too and when I think that I had to get used with them again, my enthuziasm crashes.

View Post

i am speechless. you like it more to always use the old crap instead of new things? :huh:
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#25 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:31 AM

DA will probably have a lot of spells too and when I think that I had to get used with them again, my enthuziasm crashes.

View Post

i am speechless. you like it more to always use the old crap instead of new things? :huh:

View Post

1. The BG system was not "crap". :)
2. Try to learn 300 spells again. :P

#26 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:25 AM

1. The BG system was not "crap".  :)
    2. Try to learn 300 spells again.  :P

View Post

not crap but now overused. i am glad they make something new and not repeating everything over and over to please "people like Feanor" (who only play dnd games). ;)
yeah, every game must have bazillions of spells, right? man, have i struggeled at the near infinite amount of spells morrowind has to offer.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#27 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:30 AM

As for Morrowind, I used a warrior class. :P

#28 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:07 AM

i am glad they make something new and not repeating everything over and over to please "people like Feanor" (who only play dnd games). ;)

View Post

Hush <_< .

Before long, we will be used to any new spells, setting, rules etc. :). BG2, for example, took rather a lot of getting used to, the first time (if you remember).

It's far more important that a spell is useful or cool than whether it's "old" or "new". Familiar elements will be kept if they are good enough.

#29 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:38 PM

As for Morrowind, I used a warrior class.  :P

View Post

:D point for you. :D :^^:

"It's far more important that a spell is useful or cool than whether it's "old" or "new". Familiar elements will be kept if they are good enough."

well, yes. it doesnt matter if the spell is called fireball or something different. its still the same and there you cant do much about. and, yes, a real cool looking spell is always good. :D

Edited by Schatten, 21 December 2004 - 03:09 PM.

#30 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:37 PM

You mean you actually tried to learn the names of spells in morrowind? :o Morrowind spellcasting wasnt that great because it was just a limited rango of effects repeated. It fit in well with the morrowind game, but I would prefer less-generic spells.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#31 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:46 AM

You mean you actually tried to learn the names of spells in morrowind?

I would not have been so crazy to try. :D But, from BG, I can easily list at least 100 spells from memory.

On the other hand, a reason why I would have prefered a similar system/world in BG2 is because I already know how to deal with all the enemies. Just to give a sample, I already know I need fire or acid to kill a troll or that weapons less than +3 don't affect a Balor, while in DA, if you can't harm an opponent, the reaction would be "HUH ? What the hell is happening ?".

#32 Sovran

Sovran
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:51 AM

On the other hand, a reason why I would have prefered a similar system/world in BG2 is because I already know how to deal with all the enemies. Just to give a sample, I already know I need fire or acid to kill a troll or that weapons less than +3 don't affect a Balor, while in DA, if you can't harm an opponent, the reaction would be "HUH ? What the hell is happening ?".

View Post

But doesn't that only show a bit more respect for the fourth wall? Can your character see a +2 or a +3 etched to the side of the blade? Or the HIT ME WITH A SILVER BULLET tag taped to the back of the creature? Does s/he necessarily even know what the devil it is s/he's up against? Combine this with the player-controlled "fear" from the other thread -- if your weapons and spells aren't leaving even a dent in the roaring whatchamacallit in front of you, it might be prudent to go for the better part of valour.

After, um, years of BG & BG2, quite a few things have started to become mechanical. This is actually a reason why I'm *glad* about the new system/world. :)

#33 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:52 AM

After, um, years of BG & BG2, quite a few things have started to become mechanical. This is actually a reason why I'm *glad* about the new system/world. :)

I agree.

#34 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:01 AM

You mean you actually tried to learn the names of spells in morrowind? :o Morrowind spellcasting wasnt that great because it was just a limited rango of effects repeated. It fit in well with the morrowind game, but I would prefer less-generic spells.

View Post

no, i made my own with max damage, aoe, range for every damage source. and made one for touch and max damage with every damage source. was easy to wreak havoc with that. not to mention flying around so nothing could touch you. :D
to tell the truth i liked this system. :)

"After, um, years of BG & BG2, quite a few things have started to become mechanical. This is actually a reason why I'm *glad* about the new system/world. :)"

:thumb:

Edited by Schatten, 22 December 2004 - 07:02 AM.

#35 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:57 AM

View Post

no, i made my own with max damage, aoe, range for every damage source. and made one for touch and max damage with every damage source. was easy to wreak havoc with that. not to mention flying around so nothing could touch you. :D
to tell the truth i liked this system. :)

View Post

Heh, reminds me of the spells I used to make in Daggerfall. There's nothing like seeing a room rull of Daedric Lords die in seconds. :w00t:

#36 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:30 AM

The best part of the Elder Scrolls games...! :D