please HELP it keeps crashing during instail.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 -Bill-

-Bill-

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:54 PM

Every time I try to instail this mod after about 20 minutes of everything going find the system crashes. I have no other mods instailed, no other programs open. I downloaded the updated tpg. Does anyone have any clue WHY this is happening.

#2 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 10:28 AM

Every time I try to instail this mod after about 20 minutes of everything going find the system crashes. I have no other mods instailed, no other programs open. I downloaded the updated tpg. Does anyone have any clue WHY this is happening.

View Post

No other mods...well, since CtB installed properly for me, and I had no mods installed...i'm nearly positive the problem is your computer.

Sorry, I hate giving bad news.

Try doing this:

1.) Re-boot (no one ever seems to do this even though it is the most common thing any tech-support guy will tell you to do first).
2.) Run a virus-scan
3.) Pray to <insert god/religion here> to "save" your computer
4.) Re-install Windows (only if you've had this problem with other things)
5.) Reinstall BG2 (copy your savegames to somewhere else, then put them back once you've installed. Maybe keep Character files too)
6.) Email CBisson (or me) the DEBUG file

P.S

Yes! I can read DEBUG files now! :D

#3 CBisson

CBisson
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:28 AM

I'll put this here for reference, but it also goes with other's posts about installation problems.

I'm not sure what I want- or can- do about this, other than skipping the final CtB step. One of the problems I've noticed is that when weidu biff's CtB files, it causes the ability to properly uninstall CtB correctly to "break". For some reason, uninstalling CtB will either leave the biffs in the data directory and delete the override files CtB installs or delete the biffs in the data directory and leave the override files. In either case, fortunately the CHITIN.KEY file is replaced to it's pre-CtB state. So, what does this mean? Well, CtB biff's some files that may be in your override that aren't supposed to be biffed, especially if another mod was installed that follows CtB's naming convention (can happen particularly with TBP as it has SOS files that follow my naming scheme). So the files that CtB biffs go "missing" from your override during install and then aren't replaced at uninstall, causing issues. This is a problem, and I haven't figured out a workaround yet.

So, for every version of CtB that you've installed, it doesn't cleanly uninstall the previous version properly. *And it's not quite my fault!*

I guess that the best way to make sure that that doesn't happen is to completely uninstall BGII and all your other mods and do a completely fresh install with every CtB version, which I know can be a pain if you have a bunch of other mods, but I don't know how else to help you out or a better way of doing it. I wish I did.
Play SoS! And then play CtB!

#4 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 11:40 AM

7.) When did you download Wiedu? If you have no other mods to auto-update your Wiedu file, then perhaps you have an outdated version. Try downloading the latest version.

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 December 2004 - 12:47 PM

I NEVER use an uninstailer for mods. If the mod didn't instail correctly how can I expect the uninstailer to work!? Instead I back up all the files a mod wouild effect. So if anything goes wrong I can with ease restore the game.

#6 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:03 PM

Uninstaller? What does that have to do with anything?

Wiedu is used to INSTALL/UNINSTALL your mods (deleting mod files and restoring backups will eliminate all other mods if you have more than one in the future, so you NEED Wiedu) . Download the latest version of Wiedu (only takes a few seconds), and then reinstall CtB.

#7 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:20 PM

I know about Wiedu. But in my experince if Wiedu fails to correctly instail a mod it will fail to correctly uninstail if. There are SO Many times I have had to reinstail baldur's gate 2 because wiedu couldn't uninstail a mod that wasn't instailed correctly.

SO as i said I back up the files a mod would effect.

Also CtB uses the latest version of weidu.

#8 CBisson

CBisson
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:32 PM

Not quite. CtB uses version 165, the most current is 166, but the changes between the two shouldn't affect CtB.
Play SoS! And then play CtB!

#9 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 06 December 2004 - 01:33 PM

also thank you for helping me. This mod looks so cool it &*E#% ticks me off I can't get it to work.

I'm going to try one last.

I used a fresh copy of BG2 throne of bhaal while trying to instail check the bodies. I figured a copy with a half dozen mods on it would cause problems with a mod as large as Check the bodies.

So i'm going give the copy wiht a half dozen mods already on it a shot after I back up the entire folder just to be safe. I won't take the chance that I'll miss something. If that doesn't work then I'll delete windows xp from my computer and reinstail it.

It is in theory possible that after all these mods I've tried out I finally found one that can't be instailed under Virtual PC.

#10 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:45 PM

Virtual PC?! YOU FOOL! :D

Rrrr...why didn't you mention this?

Try it without Virtual PC.

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 December 2004 - 09:37 AM

the instailer won't run at all with out virtual pc

#12 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:10 AM

Try degfraging. Next, check your drives for errors.
Do this IN ORDER:

1.) Go to My Computer
2.) Open Properties for the drive you are using
3.) Run Defrag
4.) Run Error Checker
5.) Restart your computer
6.) Try to install again

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:26 PM

Try degfraging. Next, check your drives for errors.
Do this IN ORDER:

1.) Go to My Computer
2.) Open Properties for the drive you are using
3.) Run Defrag
4.) Run Error Checker
5.) Restart your computer
6.) Try to install again

View Post

MMMH... try killing all processes that are run by your user. Leave only SYSTEM processes.

Then press CTRL+ALT+CANC, file->run...

iexplore c:\

Put a CD in every CD-ROM (any cd).

After this goto to the folder and try.

eTomm

#14 Blitz

Blitz

Tabby Master

• 337 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 05:14 PM

Good idea, try that as well, if my idea doesn't work. It is good to Defrag once and awhile. Keeps things running faaaaaaast.

Is it working yet? Anything to report?