• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 15 December 2004 - 02:51 PM

After seeing a thread in the Refinements forum (http://www.shsforums...ndpost&p=156225)
I thought that Dual-able barbarians would be a cool addition. In particular, a lot of items have misplaced unusability flags, that I will correct.
Opinions?
Other tweaks suggestion?

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#2 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:47 AM

If you are going to dual with those classes, I'd say a caster monk or a fighter monk.

A caster monk should be able to get wizard or cleric spells, but as downside should get less damage bonus (fists should still be the primairy weapon) or not able to use "Evil" spells like demon summening or necromancy type spells.

A fighter monk should be able to succesfull use weapon together with his fists and the downside should be less bonusses like Magic Resistance or speed bonusses
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#3 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 12:11 PM

Sorry, but it's not properly doable. The problem is that Barbarians are (in the game mechanics) a warrior kit, as much as Kensais or Berzerkers. Monks & Sorcs, on the other side, are a completely different class, and since their multiclasses aren't defined, they cannot anyhow dual (as in, you can't be a paladin / cleric).
I could of course create a new kit, but there is already one like this: the bard kit Arcane Fist, available at Sorcerer's at http://www.sorcerers...PCollection.zip.
And there isn't much point in copying that work ;)

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#4 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:13 AM

I have an Idea for my own kit class, but I have no knowlege of modding
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:23 AM

Too bad. Besides, a single classed monk is better imho than dualed one.

#6 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 08:50 AM

MUCH better. Especially if one uses the upcoming v2 Refinements HLAs, that is... :rolleyes:

*End of Shameless Self-AD*
:whistling:
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#7 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:22 PM

After seeing a thread in the Refinements forum (http://www.shsforums...ndpost&p=156225)
I thought that Dual-able barbarians would be a cool addition. In particular, a lot of items have misplaced unusability flags, that I will correct.
Opinions?
Other tweaks suggestion?

View Post

I personally love the idea! Both the Barb and Item changes sound good to me.

It is too bad about the monk ... and all the other dual class combos that I would love to play. Ranger/Bard, Druid/Sorcerer, etc. However only the Barbarian is really doable since it is coded as a Fighter kit rather than a standalone class.

Still a Barbarian / Druid or Barbarian / Cleric would be cool! Heck even a Barbarian / Mage would be interesting. Barbarian / Thief is a classic of fantasy litature too....

#8 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 06:34 PM

Maybe you could ad a shop to the temple of Helm, or ad to the existing shop? I know there are a ton of shop mods out there, but a few more "Paladin only" items would not be a bad thing, IM(Not So)HO.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#9 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:46 AM

The item usability check is only for barbarians. This means that usually many items (amulet of power, scrolls...) are flagged as unusable for a barb, so a barb/cleric cannot use the Amulet, and so on.
I remove the extra flags AND keep the rightful ones (heavy armour).

Another idea I already coded: Improved Difficulty system. You can set the difficulty of the scripts (Ascension, for example) without having to change the damage rate, and possibly keeping the benefits of normal level (perfect HP, no permanent dying, and so on...)
Note: I stole the idea from a thread I saw in the RTW forum. Cuv has already given approval for this theft : http://www.shsforums...topic=12961&hl=
Pointed out in case some troller came here to bitch this out.

Edited by the bigg, 19 December 2004 - 12:20 PM.

#10 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:30 PM

I like smarter enemies sometimes. I hate it when they are given a TON of new abilites they never had (according to standard D&D material). One of the things I liked about BP was that enemies would not just stand around in a cloudkill (which is why you threw stinking cloud firt). Is that what you are working on?

**EDIT** Dual monks could be done by simulating them with a kit. That is how the bladesingers were done for TDD, and how Hlid did the drudic sorcerer. He is usually more then willing to help with that stuff too.

Edited by MajorTomSawyer, 19 December 2004 - 12:31 PM.

#11 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 03:10 AM

I like smarter enemies sometimes. I hate it when they are given a TON of new abilites they never had (according to standard D&D material). One of the things I liked about BP was that enemies would not just stand around in a cloudkill (which is why you threw stinking cloud firt). Is that what you are working on?

View Post

No, that is the matter of modders. What I do is to contol the difficulty of the scripts with a variable, rather than with the in-game slidebar. Some mods (like the Ascension) offer more (or smarter) enemies if your difficulty setting is higher. You can now get that without the higher damage rate, or, even better, with the benefits of Normal setting (perfect HPs, all spells are automatically learned, no permanent dying).
That is, I don't increase the difficulty of the game per se, I just let the enemies be smarter (if coded so by an external mod) without having them dealing out 200% damage.

**EDIT** Dual monks could be done by simulating them with a kit. That is how the bladesingers were done for TDD, and how Hlid did the drudic sorcerer. He is usually more then willing to help with that stuff too.

View Post

I know, it's simply that I don't want to duplicate work.
There are already:
  • A magic-user monk (arcane fist, available at sorcerer's)
  • A kind of fighter / monk (Shed's Ykari monk)

Edited by the bigg, 21 December 2004 - 02:39 AM.

#12 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:44 AM

Another idea I already coded: Improved Difficulty system. You can set the difficulty of the scripts (Ascension, for example) without having to change the damage rate, and possibly keeping the benefits of normal level (perfect HP, no permanent dying, and so on...)

Actually, this is a brilliant idea. :blink: :thumb:
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#13 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 04:57 AM

Since it appears that the dual-able barbarians (along with Wild Mages) will be included in the G3 tweak pack, I think it's best to leave it to them. This is to avoid players spamming us with bug reports because they tried to install both, and, frankly, G3Tweaks is usually played by more people :( . And I pubblish my mods so that people will play them.

Another nit is that I'm going to repackage the mod again in more parts: Mazzy the Paladin, Stivan the Hunter, The Bigg Quest Pack (= Mprolla & Large Scale Battle) and The Bigg Tweak Pack (= Imprisonment fix, Drop Weapons in Panic removal, Nature's Beauty's reduced blindness, Unlimited Limited Wish & Wish, Cheesy Wish & Limited Wish, Improved Difficulty System)

#14 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:08 PM

But doesn't an unmodded game not include scripts that could be changed for enemies. I mean, it's a great idea, but wouldn't it take an insane amount of work?
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#15 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

And I pubblish my mods so that people will play them.

I play The Bigg Pack. Even if I have never successfully found Stivan.

#16 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 12:32 PM

And I pubblish my mods so that people will play them.

I play The Bigg Pack. Even if I have never successfully found Stivan.

View Post

Another reason why I removed the dual-able barbarian is that having 2 mods providing the same component isn't a good thing (the current way to code a situation like this involves being spammed by people who try to install both). An Cam will never "give up" the barbarians, so I prefered easiness of use on part of the player instead of my honour.

About Stivan, you haven't missed a thing (there are exactly 2 banters).
Darn.. He isn't in the Docks, he is in the Bridge Dristict: I wrote wrongly in the readme.

@ Fallen Demon: it isn't really code-heavy :)

#17 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:07 PM

Another thing: fixing minhp items. In the original game, enemies with the minimum HP effect (a troll, somebody with a double wind...) were still killable by morphing to a mind flayer and sucking their brain away (For example, this is how Elmonster dealt with Draconis in Kevin Dorner's solo mage journal).
I'm going to fix that. Dynamically. Up to now, nobody took his time to do a fix, even in the lame way :)

#18 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:31 PM

Another thing: fixing minhp items. In the original game, enemies with the minimum HP effect (a troll, somebody with a double wind...) were still killable by morphing to a mind flayer and sucking their brain away (For example, this is how Elmonster dealt with Draconis in Kevin Dorner's solo mage journal).
I'm going to fix that. Dynamically. Up to now, nobody took his time to do a fix, even in the lame way  :)

View Post

http://www.shsforums...wtopic=6835&hl=

The tp2 is now 404, but I bet I have it lying around somewhere.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#19 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:13 AM

If you can find it, please post it :)
Anyway, I'm sure nobody has done that in a COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP fashion, and that is needed for a spell added by Refinements, so... :)

#20 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:18 AM

Another component: anybody can summon familiars. Unfortunately, I am going to pillage 108 PROFICENCYBLACKJACK to flag somebody as having a familiar.
Original post if you can read Italian: http://www.forumfree...stpost#lastpost.

Note: the minhp idea is scrapped, since it's going to be included in newer Baldurdash anyway.

Edited by the bigg, 04 May 2005 - 02:19 AM.