• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:30 AM

Quote: Posted 12/17/04 05:50:37 (GMT) by 3lb3r3th
Of course raise dead spells aand town priests help, but in thge beginning when resources are scare and death is rather frequent it IS a bit annoying.

See, I challenge this idea. I know it's very ingrained in people's minds, but the main problem with having Raise Dead spells and priests who resurrect party members at every temple is that it turns death into a hindrance. It's okay to design encounters so that death of one or more party members is expected simply because death is relatively meaningless. That's how they design MMORPG's, after all... death is just meant to slow you down.

Encounters don't have to be designed that way, however. And since there is no such thing as a Raise Dead spell in DA, we're going to have to find a way around it without deliberately making everything a cakewalk (and, yes, that is our intention). The main idea, as I think Jay mentioned, is to avoid the kind of difficulty that leads to frustration while still being challenging.

The author is David Gaider.

It seems that Dragon Age will give up the traditional Raise Dead spells ! Opinions ?

As for me, I admit it's more challenging and logical this way, but I will certainly miss this "cheese". NWN, for instance, became too easy at high levels (points Stone of Recall), but, on the other hand, there was not much a choice since no tactics were possible...

Edited by Feanor, 20 December 2004 - 08:31 AM.

#2 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:45 AM

No Raise Dead? Ooh, end of cheese, hooray!

#3 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 10:39 AM

Thank God there will (hopefully) be no more Raise Dead.
It kind of ruins .. well everything.. when you think that your part can be continually ressurected, yet no-one else can.

Visit the IESDP

#4 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:02 PM

First time I played through BG1 I always considered raise dead an un-catable spell, simply because I thought the amount you had to pay for it was too high. Didnt really affect the gameplay much, I tend to re-load if a party member dies anyway (depends on the cirumstances of course)
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#5 Sovran

Sovran
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:21 PM

there is no such thing as a Raise Dead spell in DA

So, there is sanity in all this madness.

Thank you.

?Rod of Resurrection? A rod? (Rechargeable rod?) Of resurrection? You?ve got to be kidding ? oh.? :(

Now, if they?ll keep us out of Hell, too, I?ll be a happy camper. :)

Edited by Sovran, 20 December 2004 - 04:25 PM.

#6 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 12:08 AM

One of the reasons they give up Raise Dead is the fact that it leads to a logical contradiction : if your party members can be raised so easily, what would stop your opponents (the bosses) to be raised too after you killed them ?

#7 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:10 AM

Thank God there will (hopefully) be no more Raise Dead.
It kind of ruins .. well everything.. when you think that your part can be continually ressurected, yet no-one else can.

View Post

on the other hand enemies can be killed and you not? ;)
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#8 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:02 AM

Ressurection is always a bit of a logical knot in most games. I'm glad to see it's gone. Besides which, the Ultimate Reload Spell should prevent most players from ever needing it.

And the Rod of Ressurection = Rod of Extreme Cheese ;).

#9 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:12 PM

Besides which, the Ultimate Reload Spell should prevent most players from ever needing it.

View Post

good thing save everytime&where is in and not stupid savespots like on some console games. :D
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#10 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:37 AM

View Post

Cheese is tasty ! :D

#11 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:46 AM

View Post

Cheese is tasty ! :D

View Post

It also gives you headaches when you have too much :).

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:56 AM

Me? Never even used the spell, except in a couple test plays. No need for the spell, if you ask me. You know, that's what the save thingy is for. Reloading.

#13 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:10 PM

Me? Never even used the spell, except in a couple test plays. No need for the spell, if you ask me. You know, that's what the save thingy is for. Reloading.

View Post

Indeed, it will be like BG1: Reload whenever anyone dies. Which, somehow, doesn't strike me as quite what they have in mind.

And enemies can be and are resurrected in BG too--just for the record. Children of Bhaal, with the exception of one party-joinable who wasn't a Child of Bhaal in BG1, can't be (spoilers avoided). And how players complain about enemies being resurrected ("Hey! I killed him! What's he doing back?").

Edited by Kish, 22 December 2004 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#14 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:43 AM

I never used too much Raise Dead either (except for battles against illithids, where was very hard to prevent all my characters from dying).

And enemies can be and are resurrected in BG too--just for the record

What ? Which one, Kish ?

#15 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:46 AM

I never used too much Raise Dead either (except for battles against illithids, where was very hard to prevent all my characters from dying).

And enemies can be and are resurrected in BG too--just for the record

What ? Which one, Kish ?

View Post

Tazok.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:10 AM

In BG II, however, the resurrection spell wasn't that hard to get, so I didn't very much like it; it just felt like too much cheeze for me, but that's just me.

#17 fallen_demon

fallen_demon

barely untraind assasian

• 451 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

Although I actually feel it weakens some plots, bringing party members back makes the game much more enjoyable imo.
"I choose to believe what I was programed to believe."
Futurama quotes rock

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:08 AM

Yea, I wouldn't use the raise dead myself, but if the plot needed it to bring back a char...

#19 Alandrea

Alandrea

Sweet and Innocent

• 262 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 08:04 PM

Hmm... This won?t likely make a large difference to me as I am a worshipper of the reload but I do like the option of having a raise-dead spell. The main problem I think is that it?s just too easy to get. In games like BG2 one had to barely make a sacrifice to regain ones companions. I would like the option of resurrection but perhaps with a suitable trade off ? not necessarily gold. Ah well, it?ll be good all the same.
~*kitty*~

You must gather your pants before venturing forth

The lunatics are running this asylum.

#20 Radwen

Radwen
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:24 AM

I would say a one ou two raise dead could be allowed to priest class characters (including npc) if it is requiered by the story line. Like an ultimate favor from your god. (These things would be unique).

But it is true that it destroys logic in many ways. If a game would have easy acces to this (like bg2), there should be multiple times in the story line were enemies could do so two (i.e, a group attack you. you pwned them, but one ran away. Beeing a priest he goes back and resurrects some of his fellow companions (or all with abusive mass raise dead spell o_O) and plots to kill you further on in the story).

But in my book, only jesus's* can resurrect. Which means it happens every millenium or so :P. So I am con resurrect except if it is necessery for the storyline.

*I used jesus, only because he's the only guy I heard that raised from the dead :P. I do beleive this is a myth more than anything else though :P.
Posted Image

I rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
- Emilio Zapata

I am the cabbage man.
- Myself