Raise Dead

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 11:29 PM

Yeah Im a great fan of the reload spell, and as far as Im concerned if one of my party members dies I've failed. So I only ressurect with difficult battles - dragons and such.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#22 -Metanoia-

-Metanoia-

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:45 PM

I'll admit I don't use ressurection spells (reload). But I've always felt I was missing out. Replaying the same battle over and over until every roll goes you way, and everyone is still standing. It's just not as rewarding as standing over the bodies of you enemies, some of your party members dead too.

Besides, I've always considered reloading until everything goes perfect cheese. Ressurection on core+ mode in BGII works pretty well as you still do occasionally lose someone (death spells)... It's just a shame there's no dialog from other NPC's reguarding someone dying.

I guess in my mind I've thought of ressurection as smelly salts, reviving KO'd party members.

If they made it so party members 'Dying' wasn't always death, but could be them knocked out. Then after the battle you could findout what's wrong with them. Are they dead? Have they suffered a pretty bad wound, but live on? Where they just sucker-punched? :shifty: That was you don't get that immortality cheese, and you still get to enjoy battles without having to reload until everything goes perfect.

Who knows, it could even add to a battle's fun. If you had to protect KO'd allies from getting finished off while they're down.

#23 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 06:44 AM

Agreed. If it is so easy to ressurect your dead party members, then adventuring in FR would become a kind of holiday trip. No danger involved at all.

#24 Radwen

Radwen
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:18 AM

Well in most games adventuring in FR is plainly a "I'll get strong and get rich !". When a little girly gets her cat resurrected everytime it dies since her dad is a priest (bg1) .. live kinda start losing it's value as long as you have 1000 gold or a friend priest. Who would thought that life was worth 1000 gold pieces ??
Posted Image

I rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
- Emilio Zapata

I am the cabbage man.
- Myself

#25 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:00 AM

I think getting rid of resurrection spells is a bad idea. They should simply try and make it work more like the original P&P resurrection did.

It was just never properly implemented in games so far.

Edited by Lightspeed, 16 February 2005 - 11:01 AM.

崇高滑稽
·

#26 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 08:41 PM

Well I dont know how P&P ressurection worked (perhaps someone could explain it) but if they do keep it, perhaps it should be a little more difficult to do then simply casting a spell, or going to a temple. For example, you might need certain spell components, or you might have to go to a certain place...
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#27 Radwen

Radwen
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 01:23 PM

It should be used max 3 times in a game .. for the reasons above.
Posted Image

I rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
- Emilio Zapata

I am the cabbage man.
- Myself

#28 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 05:14 AM

hmmm....i dunno what u guys think, but xp penalties for raise dead sort of solve the problem....esp if u have dead chars not gaining any xp for a battle.... Er...but in bg2 it was too easy to resurrect....
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#29 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:36 AM

Perhaps the resurrection could be allowed to some powerful npcs only, not for the main char or the party. Dragons perhaps? Gold, Silver etc. etc.

#30 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:49 PM

Perhaps the resurrection could be allowed to some powerful npcs only, not for the main char or the party. Dragons perhaps? Gold, Silver etc. etc.

View Post

And are you supposed to ask the dragon very nicely, "Please Mr Dragon, I need you to ressurect <Generic Fighter Name> so he can help us kill you." :P
Or do you intend to have peaceful dragons, who you just have to convince to help? That could work, but I still think they should require some sort of item.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#31 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:13 AM

Diablo 2's XP and Gold penalty for death seems to work. It's really annoying, in a way, but it could be made better :).

#32 Althernai

Althernai
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 07:22 PM

If they made it so party members 'Dying' wasn't always death, but could be them knocked out.

That's basically what they are going to do. I don't think everyone understands what they meant by "no resurrection." Death will indeed be final -- but a party member going down in combat will not be dead. It sounds like the system used in KotOR1&2.

How do I know this? Well, consider this post:

Posted 02/15/05 23:47:06 (GMT) by David Gaider

Posted 02/15/05 23:19:37 (GMT) by Meerclaw
I am extremely curious to know if any of the other characters in your party will be central to the main plot (like Bastila in KOTOR)

Yes.

http://forums.biowar...412545&forum=84

If there are characters as central to the plot as Bastila was in KotOR, they can't very well die in combat with some random, irrelevant enemies, can they? So in all likelyhood, a character will fall down upon dropping to the equivalent of 0 HP and you will be able to heal him up after the fight is over. The battle doesn't end until all the enemies are gone or the entire party goes down.

Edited by Althernai, 03 March 2005 - 07:23 PM.

#33 Avenger_teambg

Avenger_teambg
  • 604 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:15 AM

I never used too much Raise Dead either (except for battles against illithids, where was very hard to prevent all my characters from dying).

And enemies can be and are resurrected in BG too--just for the record

What ? Which one, Kish ?

View Post

Lots of npcs from bg1 were 'resurrected' in bg2.
You could even tell them 'what, i thought i have killed you already'. And this even changed their dialogue path. LOL. BIIIG cheese.
Avenger

#34 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 02:41 AM

Hehe :). That was funny. The number of times Sarevok reappeared/ resurrected, was quite astounding. Why couldn't the man just die :P?

#35 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:06 AM

Hehe :). That was funny. The number of times Sarevok reappeared/ resurrected, was quite astounding. Why couldn't the man just die :P?

View Post

He did die. Repeatedly :P He just kept living again afterwards. Its not that he didnt die. He died alright. He just lived again a while afterwards. So there :P
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#36 kingkiller

kingkiller
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:23 PM

If you had Aerie in your team Raise Dead was a must,

"Aerie! Why did you die!"
"Oh great, Aerie died AGAIN!"
"Can't you stay alive for two seconds!"
"ARRGH, that's not fair, you can't sneak up on Aerie!"
"Defend yourself, stupid, and stop complaining!"

#37 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

Remember, the definiton of whom is dead has changed through time. Today we consider someone to be dead if they have lost all higher brain functions even if the rest of the body are still operational. This is done to allow for harvesting of spare parts for transplantation. About a 10-20 years or so we had hearth death. If somones hearth stopped, they where considered "clinicly dead", this meant that if the doctors managed to get the heart going again, they had actually performed a form of "ressurection". In olden times, people who stopped breathing where considered to be dead. Thease people could sometimes be "ressurected" simply by blowing air into their lungs...

When playing IE games, without using the most cheesy settings a character could really die if they sustained massive enough damage, their portrait dissaper and they cannot be ressurected. If their portrait is still there I didn't considered them to really be dead but just in a coma or something like that. This was still beyond the reach of the usual healing methods, thus the need to visit a temple or use a "ressurection" spell.

#38 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:06 AM

If their portrait is still there I didn't considered them to really be dead but just in a coma or something like that.

Even when they were chunked to pieces?

#39 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:06 AM

If their portrait is still there I didn't considered them to really be dead but just in a coma or something like that.

Even when they were chunked to pieces?

View Post

See his previous sentance: "When playing IE games, without using the most cheesy settings a character could really die if they sustained massive enough damage, their portrait dissaper and they cannot be ressurected."

I think the easier difficulty settings prevent this permanent death, but it would normally happen when they explode into chunks.

And you raise a good point, Guest. I hadnt thought about it that way - I still disagree with you, but its a good point.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#40 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:40 AM

Let's say that I still consider the ressurection spells to cheap and too easy to get.