Photo

Raise Dead

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Panda BladeMaster

Panda BladeMaster
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:47 PM

Perhaps constant use of the Raise Dead spell could weaken a NPC every time he/she gets resurected. This could be done by knocking off a point from constitution if they have been continually rasied over a period of time.

It would prevent its use on a constant scale because it would just make everyone in your party weaker and weaker.

Just my 2 cents that I'm throwing in :D

#42 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:50 PM

Or just use the option that Raise Dead drains one level permanently untill more xp is gain.

#43 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:49 AM

Or just use the option that Raise Dead drains one level permanently untill more xp is gain.

View Post

I think Archmage's idea is better, simply because, if it drained ability scores, I know I wouldn't actually ever use Raise Dead.....I try and buff my chars as much as possible....so that would make it silly...
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#44 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 07:11 AM

View Post

I think Archmage's idea is better, simply because, if it drained ability scores, I know I wouldn't actually ever use Raise Dead.....I try and buff my chars as much as possible....so that would make it silly...

View Post

I concur. It won't be so costly, but it would be a sacrifice nonetheless.

#45 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:46 AM

View Post

View Post

I concur. It won't be so costly, but it would be a sacrifice nonetheless.

View Post

Altho, from playing NWN, tbh I would just load anyway...even the smallest of XP losses made me wince....
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#46 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 09:38 PM

Altho, from playing NWN, tbh I would just load anyway...even the smallest of XP losses made me wince....

View Post

Me too... :)
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#47 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 June 2005 - 08:42 AM

In AD&D 2nd ed. (On which BG2 is based :)) raise dead caused an automatic and permanent loss of 1 point of CON, and there was also a check to see if it succeeded (based on your CON). Therefore, a character would eventually simply run out of CON. And don't forget, in a p&p game there is no "reload", if you get stomped by the bad guys you stay stomped!

I think Raise Dead is simply too common in BG2 from a realistic background perspective. A world where the rich can pay to bring themselves back from death would be very different to the world BG2 portrays...

I hope a more realistic method can be found than KOTOR - noone ever gets seriously hurt or injured as long as one party member survives. I found nearly all the combat in KOTOR incredibly easy, and really missed the tactical combat of BG2. In fact, I still haven't finished KOTOR and have gone back to playing BG2 in the meantime!

In the end the reason I play BG2 isn't for its Raise Dead or its spell mechanics - its because Black Isle put so much effort into creating a living, breathing world and a great story and characters.

The_Swordalizer

#48 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:01 AM

...there was also a check to see if it succeeded (based on your CON).

View Post

This is also in BG, although the only character its even happened to me with was Viconia and her 8 CON <_< .

I agree with your post, I would dearly like to see a bit more tactics in the game than there is in KotOR.

*Points to the register button at the top* ;)
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.