Resistances

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:50 AM

Can anyone tell me precisely how Magic Resistance works in NWN ? A 12 MR what exactly does it mean ? A damage reduction from magic of 12 HP ? :huh:

#2 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 22 December 2004 - 04:09 AM

Spell Resistance is like Armor Class. Basically if a spell is resisted, it does no damage and its effects are negated, much like a "miss" roll for Armor Class consideration. (This works for all spells except those that ignore resistances such as Power Word Kill)

Damage reduction, on the other hand is the one that negates damage, I don't think there is one for spells since not all magic do physical damage.

Magic Resistance isn't that powerful anymore since any magic user worth his salt would have at least the Spell Penetration feat (if not Greater Spell Penetration or Epic Spell Penetration)

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:16 AM

NWN took the 'epic' a bit too far, me thinks...

#4 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 23 December 2004 - 08:19 PM

NWN took the 'epic' a bit too far, me thinks...

View Post

Bah, epic Spell Penetration is nothing compared to other epic feats:
Take Epic Dodge for example: the first physical attack of every round made by an opponent is an automatic miss, meaning that unless the opponent can make two or more attacks per round, this character can dish out damage without fear of getting hurt. Considering the prerequisite of Improved Evasion in order to get this feat, this character is also pretty much well defended against many spells.

#5 Kish

Kish
  • 1265 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:25 PM

Take Epic Dodge for example: the first physical attack of every round made by an opponent is an automatic miss, meaning that unless the opponent can make two or more attacks per round, this character can dish out damage without fear of getting hurt.

View Post

Like an epic character is ever going to face a noticeable melee threat from a character with only one attack per round.
Posted Image

http://www.moveon.org/fox/
"You are what you do. Choose again, and change."
--Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

#6 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:46 PM

Take Epic Dodge for example: the first physical attack of every round made by an opponent is an automatic miss, meaning that unless the opponent can make two or more attacks per round, this character can dish out damage without fear of getting hurt.

View Post

Like an epic character is ever going to face a noticeable melee threat from a character with only one attack per round.

View Post

An epic wizard or sorcerer who ran out of spells will, if s/he does have any combat feats. :P

#7 Gothic Rose

Gothic Rose

Sexkitten

• 231 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:23 AM

View Post

View Post

An epic wizard or sorcerer who ran out of spells will, if s/he does have any combat feats. :P

View Post

Not true. A level 12 wiz/sorc has two attacks per round. Plus, wizards and sorcs have buff spells that are often made into minor one use items for just such emergencies.
Posted Image

#8 Mr.WeaseL

Mr.WeaseL
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:41 AM

Can anyone tell me precisely how Magic Resistance works in NWN ? A 12 MR what exactly does it mean ? A damage reduction from magic of 12 HP:huh:

View Post

Anyone casting a spell on the character must roll 1d20+caster level and get 12 or higher. If they don't, the spell doesn't affect you.
Note that there are also spells tha completely bypass SR (Melf's Acid Arrow in P&P, for example, though I don't know if it does in NWN)

#9 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:28 AM

Note that there are also spells tha completely bypass SR (Melf's Acid Arrow in P&P, for example, though I don't know if it does in NWN)

It doesn't.
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.