• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:14 AM

Darcy Pajak :

Our objectives is to make a great computer role playing game with a epic story, and great graphics.
The age range will be the ESRB rating of either Teen, (13+) or Mature. But that really needs to be worked out between us and the publisher. But we would like to have few limitations on what we use to convay the mood and tone of the game.
The length should be somewhere between 40~50 hours.
The campaign will be similer to BG2, where there is a known overall goal, but the player is free to explore the country.

The linearity from NWN seems to be doomed... :rolleyes:

#2 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:36 AM

Good, I dont really like linear RPGs.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#3 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:55 AM

Linearity, apart from anything else, pushes at the fourth wall, because the player knows he is being artificially prevented from progressing.

On the other hand, giving the player a boundless landscape can be very disorientating and confusing. I hope there are (at least to begin with) incentives to stay put.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:53 AM

Yep, it's a question of opinion whether the story should be more linear or not (I prefer not).

#5 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:24 AM

The story is apparantly "open ended" so it seems linearity won't be such an issue :).

#6 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:13 AM

Linearity, apart from anything else, pushes at the fourth wall, because the player knows he is being artificially prevented from progressing.

On the other hand, giving the player a boundless landscape can be very disorientating and confusing. I hope there are (at least to begin with) incentives to stay put.

View Post

i think sacred has done it good. there is a open map but restricted by tougher enemies and you have a clear goal where you need to go next. on the other hand morrowind wasnt as clear to me as sacred.
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#7 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:33 AM

True, Morrowind needed a little time before it was clear, but I guess that it was one the best sides of the game.

#8 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:56 PM

Yes when you first start out in Morrowind it seems very disorienting, and you dont really have any clear direction, but once you get a bit further on it definately develops. What they have planned is good - a start point and an end point, and how you get there is up to you.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#9 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:36 PM

Bioware need to try very hard to prevent disorientation, especially at the beginning when the player is getting first impressions about the game. A little help and definite pointers at the beginning can be a great help :).

#10 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 01:54 PM

Yes its probably not a bad idea to have intermediate stages in the main quest (i.e the chapters in BG) and a definate mission right off the bat (although morrowind does have this I suppose, its just that there is nothing at all to keep you to it)
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#11 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:30 AM

Do you think it should be better that DA to be divided in chapters the same way as BG1 and BG2 ? I would support this feature.

#12 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:26 AM

Do you think it should be better that DA to be divided in chapters the same way as BG1 and BG2 ? I would support this feature.

View Post

It rather depends on what the chapter means. If NWN chapters, then no. Restricting the map and everything you can do because of a chapter number sucks and stinks of poor design.

On the other hand, if the chapter changed nothing, there would be little point. Perhaps some quests and areas should be limited (for good reasons, mind) by chapter. This could keep old and familiar areas interesting, and allow the player to explore new places :).

Regarding the plot, it is useful to keep some sense of progress between the beginning and the end. Chapter cutscenes help.

#13 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:30 AM

View Post

It rather depends on what the chapter means. If NWN chapters, then no. Restricting the map and everything you can do because of a chapter number sucks and stinks of poor design.

On the other hand, if the chapter changed nothing, there would be little point. Perhaps some quests and areas should be limited (for good reasons, mind) by chapter. This could keep old and familiar areas interesting, and allow the player to explore new places :).

Regarding the plot, it is useful to keep some sense of progress between the beginning and the end. Chapter cutscenes help.

View Post

It seems you missed this part, Shed : "like in BG1 anf BG2". And the idea is not to change something, but to give player a plot-thread which they could easily follow without becoming confused due to the number of side-quests.

#14 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 03:44 AM

I got it ;). Just emphasising how BG-chapters are Bioware's best to date.

In BG2, most of the cool areas and quests (after Brynnlaw) were chapter dependent :huh: .

#15 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 06:08 AM

Yes its probably not a bad idea to have intermediate stages in the main quest (i.e the chapters in BG) and a definate mission right off the bat (although morrowind does have this I suppose, its just that there is nothing at all to keep you to it)

View Post

agreed. :hug:
have chapters with nice videos, of course. :D
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:03 AM

Yea, I vote for chapters, but I wonder whether it would work with a completed and uncompleted quests lists and a general journal, but no chapters?

#17 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:00 PM

why shouldnt it work with complete and uncomplete quests? i have taken a quest in chapter 2 and can complete it in chapter 5. no problem.

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:56 AM

I agreed that it would work, but I was just wondering whether it would be better to have chapters with that system or not.

#19 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:38 AM

I got it ;). Just emphasising how BG-chapters are Bioware's best to date.

In BG2, most of the cool areas and quests (after Brynnlaw) were chapter dependent :huh: .

View Post

Well, that's not ilogical at all, Shed. In my opinion, it's normal that some locations are available only through some quests. For instance, Brynlaw is a secret place and very few people get access to it. To use another example, a place like Hellgate Keep (that's just a sample) is not normally accessible. What annoyed me in BG2 is that you get access to some areas only when you are told to go there : I really can't understand why your characters can't go to Umar Hills unless he meets Delon.

#20 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:59 AM

Its not really the chapter that devides the areas, its the story - chapters just mark turning points in the story. I think they are a good idea, and I dont have anything against restricting certain areas untill later points in the story, but restricting areas that youve already been to is just silly if you ask me (if there is no decent reason given for why you cant go back, a la NwN.) In BG2 it was understandable, because you have such trouble getting to brynnlaw to begin with.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.