How much realism do you want in DA ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:58 AM

Many people consider realism in games a good thing, but should there be a limit to it ? In DA forums, I encountered some very strange ideas :

1.aging: the age on characters should infect them if a human is at the age of i child in rl it should be a child, and if you are old it would have been fun if you got grey hair and died.
2.armor: a fullplate isn't a fullplate, it has to be iron steel bronze and so on, leather should be cowleather bearleather and so on. and if you find a plate on an orc you have to go to i smith with it to make it fit you for example.
3.crafting:then it would be much fun to craft the things that you need, and make food since its going to be a food system.
4. NPC: in cities alot of ncps LOT of them walking around and maybe have a purpose go to the bar or something.
5. cities: big houses in nwn the houses are to small.
maybe ill come up with some more ideas later.
if the is a topic with all that already please link me 
6. btw this is way out of D&D but it would be fun to have more that one xp "ladder" and several ways to get xp like hunt you get hunting xp.

Do you think is that too much ? I would think so, because making differences between types of leather or making fit an armor for you seems exaggerated.

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 06:11 AM

Ooo. Not THAT much realism in any game, please.

#3 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:30 AM

aging isnt hard to do and does give something to the game. look at might and magic.
to make a distinction in material of products is a bit too much. thats too much micromanaging. just another way of upgrading items.
food sucks. period. somehow. :D or, again, might and magic with the food spell was somehow good.
yeah, lots of npcs. at least hundreds on one map. yeah, i work fir echelon and have thus good computing resources. :D no seriously. somewhat crowded is okay but you must remember if you want to give them purposes that those eat a lot resources, too. iirc, bethesda wants to give their npcs real purposes and actions to perform. :D
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#4 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:44 AM

And we should remember that the devs @ Bethesda prob have more experience with open ended large games with a lot of NPCs than BioTeam.

#5 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 01:16 PM

NPCs having schedules etc is cool, but only to a certain extent. The fact that time in game usually isnt real-time (one hour playing = one hour in game) means that walking down the road to the shop takes two hours in the game (IIRC in BG 1 minute real time was 2 hours in game wasnt it?). In this case the NPCs will be out of the house more often then not, and this is just irritating. A good balance between the two - they go to the shop maybe once a week, the males can often be found at the pub at night, and during the day they can be found in or around outside the house, this would be cool.
No food, definately not, people play RPGs because they can do things that they cant in real life. They arent restrained by things like food, skills which they probably dont have in real life, etc. And if you add in food, where does it stop? How about the need for sanitation? How about the actual effects of hitting someone with a sword?
Aging probably isnt a problem, the game isnt really likely to span hundreds of years is it? If by aging they mean you can select what age your character is, this is a little silly and reasonably unnecessary.
Crafting would be a cool idea, smithing your own weapons/armour, making your own arrows etc.

Edited by Tom, 29 December 2004 - 01:18 PM.

Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#6 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:23 AM

Well I`d say everything okay until my character needs to go to the toilet.

#7 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:19 AM

Realism in an RPG is bad. People play games because their fantasy alter ego can do what they themselves cannot and have adventures not possible in the "real world." Now they are proposing to taint the world of fantasy with real world elements? :(

Let's look at this in context, important NPCs wandering around makes them difficult to locate, and isn't it kind of depressing to the players that the NPCs have more of a social life than they do? :crying:

Food in a game is great, except the lack of everything enjoyable about food in real life (the taste, the smell, the sustanance etc.), what are you left with? A big waste of time.
Of course, in game characters having the ability to instantly injest large quatities of food is no more realisitic than the lack of food itself. :P

Realistic weapons and armor? Are you kidding? When you are knocked down while wearing plate mail you WON'T be able to get up again without assistance. Let's not even get into the physics of a 200 pound man swinging around a 40 pound sword. :rolleyes:

Realism kills roleplaying games. One won't have to look further than inventory management. Realisitically, a character will not be able to carry more than one suit of armor and one large sized weapon. (No real backpack will fit a full suit of armor or a 5 foot long weapon)
How much "loot" can you carry in a realistic backpack? Probably enough food to have a picnic in the local dungeon but no more.

Why can we not just LET FANTASY BE? :unsure:

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 11:31 AM

Heh, some basic rules of what not to implement in CRPGs. Atlhough some sort of "realism" has always to be maintained i.e racial ability scores and such.

#9 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 09:23 AM

You have to ask yourself if making the game more realistic brings anything more to it. I don't think the game would be more fun by having this degree of realism.

Is getting old and dying fun? Is having a very limited inventory fun? I don't think so. Of course, added realism can bring a lot to a game (look at the physics of Half-Life 2, for example), but shouldn't be added for its own sake ;).

#10 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

You have to ask yourself if making the game more realistic brings anything more to it. I don't think the game would be more fun by having this degree of realism.

Is getting old and dying fun? Is having a very limited inventory fun? I don't think so. Of course, added realism can bring a lot to a game (look at the physics of Half-Life 2, for example), but shouldn't be added for its own sake ;).

View Post

its personal taste. i think aging is a good concept in compination with sleeping to recover. it adds another layer of difficulty. imagine nwn with the sleep all thingy and now put in aging. you wouldnt want to sleep after every fight with your mage or you risk after half through or so senility (??). you cant remember so much spells, you are becoming weak etc.. its not too bad. it adds some difficulty at the end of the game. you wont grow so much in power, if ever, later on. perhaps extensive use of sleep will result in weaking you. its a possibility to look at for those who wont want to fight super demons of godly angels later. :)
gentoo sex is updatedb; locate; talk; date; cd; strip; look; touch; finger; unzip; uptime; gawk; head; emerge --oneshot condom; mount; fsck; gasp; more; yes; yes; yes; more; umount; emerge -C condom; make clean; sleep.

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 03:26 PM

Well, as long as they implement such simple facts like different racial ability modifiers to different races i.e constitution bonus to dwarves but not to humans, it'll be okay.

#12 -Quiet Lurker-

-Quiet Lurker-

Posted 01 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

Well, as long as they implement such simple facts like different racial ability modifiers to different races i.e constitution bonus to dwarves but not to humans, it'll be okay.

View Post

Well, I hate to break this to you but... :unsure:
Dwarves and elves don't exist in reality.

So one can't exactly claim one is maintaining and degree of "realism" by giving dwarves a constitution boost and elves a dexterity increase. (One cannot implement facts if they are fiction :closedeyes: )

#13 Gaias

Gaias
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:05 PM

Microgaming... bad :angry:

Realistic phyics... good :thumb:

As long as the load screens have constant reminders that "I", as the real person, have to sleep, eat, work, and socially interact, then all is good! :lol:

Then again if I needed to be reminded of these facts... I shouldn't be playing games... ^_^

#14 Schatten

Schatten

tomo the homo

• 1208 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:44 AM

quiet lurker: get an account here. :hug: ;)

#15 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:07 AM

Theres a balance between realism and fantasy in a game. If you can make the game more realistic AND make it more fun then great, you've hit the mark. Realistic Physics are fun because it allows you to do stuff in the game that you cant do in real life, but have the outcome be what you would expect.

In an RPG food would just be tiresome. Age would be annoying, because first of all for it to be realistic the game would have to span years, and options of 'resting for 6 months' would be kind of silly. This would not add fun to the game, it would only make it restrictive (too restrictive.) The need for sanitation could be fun - I imagine many people would find it hilarious to be able to take a crap on the side of the road, and then to be chased by the guard for doing so, or the ability to piss on people, but you cant have one thing without the other - this would require food. And you then have to take into account how much people actually eat. Quiet Lurker outlined the problems with realistic armour/weapons/inventory, but failed to mention the fact that if you shoot someone with a bow and arrow they generally die, or at least slow down a lot (regardless of where you hit them, unless its in the leg or something) This would only serve to unbalance the game, because a party of 6 good archers could realistically kill about 20 or 30 men before they even reached them. How about realistic elemental effects? A burn is not something which heals overnight, and a severe burn is more often then not fatal or very debilitating, and frost 'damage' would realistically result in something similar to frostbite. How about loosing a limb or two every time someone casts cone of cold on you?

What Im getting at is that there are very few ways you can make RPGs more 'realistic' without worsening the gameplay and overall fun, because they arent SUPPOSED to be realistic!

Edited by Tom, 13 January 2005 - 02:08 AM.

And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#16 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:44 PM

I think age in a RPG is good, it would definatly affect sleeping after every battle (a pet peeve of mine I guess).
I admit, it would be hard to implement without making the game dull though (unless spells could age people, or some such).

I also think that non-killing xp is a good, though it would probably mean a radical shift in the game-style, as someone who hunts rabbits for a year isnt going to save the world (the evil villain hears of a hunter who has killed 100 rabbits in 3 days, and drops dead of a heart-attack?).

Visit the IESDP

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 09:09 AM

I also think that non-killing xp is a good, though it would probably mean a radical shift in the game-style, as someone who hunts rabbits for a year isnt going to save the world (the evil villain hears of a hunter who has killed 100 rabbits in 3 days, and drops dead of a heart-attack?).

Heh, you have a point there.
XP for using skills like diplomacy would be ok in my book.

#18 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:18 PM

Things like XP for opening locks/disarming traps is fine, yeah, but dont go overboard. "You donned your armour correctly, 1000 XP!!"
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#19 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 05:43 AM

Hehe... I think XP should be given out on the importance or difficulty of a problem overcome, regardless of whether it is earned through battle or otherwise.

#20 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:22 AM

I've always like the rule that you only get xp for using a skill if failure would have negative consequences and there's actually a valid reason to use the skill. Someone running around climbing every wall they see wouldn't get xp, and neither would someone sneaking around their own house.

As you might guess, I had some issues with the Daggerfall skill system. ;)