Photo

How much realism do you want in DA ?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 Radwen

Radwen
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 04:50 AM

To like gothic two you need to have played gothic 1 :P.

What I mainly dislike of party based rpg's is that your npc's take too much attention (equipement et directions). So I often find myself playing only one characteur :P.
Posted Image

I rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
- Emilio Zapata

I am the cabbage man.
- Myself

#42 PolarBear

PolarBear
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 05:08 PM

What I mainly dislike of party based rpg's is that your npc's take too much attention (equipement et directions).

View Post

Strange... That's what I love the most about it. I mean managing 6 npc instead of just one (yes, inventory, directions, levelups... everything). We are just different that's all.

PS: That's too bad: I don't have a copy of Gothic 1...

#43 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 10:28 PM

What I mainly dislike of party based rpg's is that your npc's take too much attention (equipement et directions).

View Post

Strange... That's what I love the most about it. I mean managing 6 npc instead of just one (yes, inventory, directions, levelups... everything). We are just different that's all.

View Post

Indeed, one of the best parts of RPG games is levelling up, advancing your character, managing and gaining equipment and spells etc, and having 6 characters allows you to do it 6 times as much. To each their own, I suppose
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#44 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 12:24 AM

To like gothic two you need to have played gothic 1 :P.

What I mainly dislike of party based rpg's is that your npc's take too much attention (equipement et directions). So I often find myself playing only one characteur :P.

View Post

Managing a party is one of the best features of an RPG. It just offers so many options ! :rolleyes:

#45 -Metanoia-

-Metanoia-

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:27 PM

Ditch the single XP ladder. Someone's already pointed out that killing 1000 rabbits wouldn't make you any better at anything other than killing rabbits. So if characters lost their classes, and simply had 'levels' for all their abilities. They could pick 1000 locks, and be a far better lock pick. It wouldn't change how well they can cast spells or swing a sword.

For the sake of character comparison, you could have an 'Uber-Level' :P

For example:

(used thief xp table)
Lv. 9 lock-pick (110,000 xp)
Lv. 5 dagger skills (10,000 xp)
Lv. 4 Magic (5,000 xp)

Uber Level = Lv. 9 (125,000 xp)

#46 Radwen

Radwen
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 04:44 PM

In games leveling up is great I must admit. But i'm trying to make a line between an actual role playing game rather than a adventure game.

@Metanoia
I totaly agree.
Posted Image

I rather die on my feet than live on my knees.
- Emilio Zapata

I am the cabbage man.
- Myself

#47 Falkentyne

Falkentyne
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:02 PM

I would like aging. Haste spell ages you 1 year. Just like AD&D.

Though there should be (very rare/expensive) ways to reverse aging a bit.
(besides a WISH-like spell).

Food, too, but throw food into a big pile and have at it automatically, just like in Ultima 5 ....none of this Eye of the Beholder or Ultima 7 manual whining stuff.

Another thing I'd LOVE to see:

revision of the hit point system.

Now, the hit points you HAVE, represents how well you will fight (on a percentage of your max level and max hp's).

For example: if you are level 10 and have 100 hp's, you will have your saving throws and to-hit rolls like a level 10 fighter. If you have 90 hp, it will be level 9 saves and to-hit's. (this assumes you had 10 hp/level). This approximates getting wounded from battle, as well as the effect of losing your "quasi" hit points--the hit points above level 1. This does NOT apply to magic spells, damage from fireballs, etc, or any sort of innate or other magical abilities or level requirements that don't affect hand to hand or resistance to spells--only hit points and direct combat related skills, unless the spell itself directly affects a combat skill. So a level 10 mage with 40 hp, reduced down to 4 hp, can still cast a fireball as a level 10 mage.

This would apply to every being in the game

#48 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 03:17 AM

revision of the hit point system.

Now, the hit points you HAVE, represents how well you will fight (on a percentage of your max level and max hp's).

For example: if you are level 10 and have 100 hp's, you will have your saving throws and to-hit rolls like a level 10 fighter.  If you have 90 hp, it will be level 9 saves and to-hit's.  (this assumes you had 10 hp/level).  This approximates getting wounded from battle, as well as the effect of losing your "quasi" hit points--the hit points above level 1.  This does NOT apply to magic spells, damage from fireballs, etc, or any sort of innate or other magical abilities or level requirements that don't affect hand to hand or resistance to spells--only hit points and direct combat related skills, unless the spell itself directly affects a combat skill. So a level 10 mage with 40 hp, reduced down to 4 hp, can still cast a fireball as a level 10 mage.

This would apply to every being in the game

View Post

Wouldn't this make killing any creatures exponentially easy? It would also give magic users a big advantage. Why should their magic be equally potent, regardless of their state of health?

I doubt it could work.

#49 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:50 PM

Wouldn't this make killing any creatures exponentially easy? It would also give magic users a big advantage. Why should their magic be equally potent, regardless of their state of health?

I doubt it could work.

View Post

If it was balanced well then it could definately work. Sure the creatures would become easier as you hacked at them, but that is realistic, and it works retrospecitvely also. In a lot of games magic is decidedly weak, especially at the start (for example morrowind) and if it was weakened a bit then this would ertainly help to bolster it up. And of course the fact that the mage only has 40 HP to begin with, whereas the fighter has 100 makes a large difference anyway - to defense in specific.
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#50 -Cler'tar-

-Cler'tar-

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:15 PM

I think this game would be much better with a high realism. By "high realism" I don't mean making a fantasy-sims computer game.
To me food is (in a RPG) as irrelevant as going to the toilet, drinking, etc.
But in NWN I found really annoying all those humans and elves wielding two-handed swords as if they were made of wood. I DO think weaponry and armors need an increment of realism. Take this game, The Witcher; looks more interesting... with motion captured animations, full day-night life cicle for NPCs, restrictions on the use or weapons and armour...

In NWN a quarterstaff is wielded like a spear and a halberd... A full plate armour allows the same freedom of movement as a robe, the way shields are used is just horrible... Swords and weapons in general are way too fantasyish for my taste...
This kind of *realism* is needed in those games, you have to feel the world is real to enjoy it.
And don't come saying dragons are not reals... If there were dragons, mages etc etc, even then, a man in a full plate would not be able to run nor to stand up if he fell to the ground.

#51 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:19 AM

A full plate armour allows the same freedom of movement as a robe,

View Post

HUH ? I think you confuse BG with NWN. In NWN, you have a limit of the dex bonus allowed by the armors.

#52 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:32 AM

Indeed. That's not realism anyway.