Photo

Flirting With Disaster

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:47 PM

Yay, the new disks arrived, the new disks arrived. The new BGII replacement disks arrived today and I am slogging through a complete build from the ground up as I type. Actually, I am downloading. I set aside a patched SOA-TOB install in case I need some virgin files later. I was copying all of my mods for BP over into my SOA directory when I discovered that I neglected to keep a copy of NEJ 1.3i, so it's off to do the download dance. That will probably take up the rest of my available time tonight. Hopefully, sometime tomorrow, I'll be able to actually install BP. :blink: For those of you wondering "Why in God's name would he do that?? Again??? Not to worry, Coyote, the Trickster has been riding shotgun all along. Besides, I really love playing the game. When I can.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark
"What rough beast, Its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born."

W.B. Yeats

May the sun be always in the eyes of your enemies,
and may your feet always find the correct path.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#2 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:49 PM

NEJ is in place, the BGI folder has been moved and renamed. The Checker came back with a clean bill of health. Fire inthe Hole!!! Time to hit the autoinstaller. I'll come back out in about an hour-and-a-half and see what happened.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#3 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 04:24 PM

*Casts a luck spell.*

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#4 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:12 PM

*Casts a luck spell.*

View Post

Doh!!! Note to self, make sure bgt set-up.bat is in SoA folder before firing up the autoinstaller. Damn, Damn, Damn!!!. Launching attempt #2. Thanks Hlid, I can use all the help I can get.

AAAAIIIIIII . . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#5 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 06:24 PM

2nd attempt Installation has run smoothly so far. Autoinstaller has completed the routine, 313 patch and S&H 4 patch installed. Everything loads up and prints cleanly. Now the big challenge, trying to install CtB and the other WEIDU stuff I like without bringing the whole thing down around my head. Time to do a little reading before I proceed.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 12 January 2005 - 06:25 PM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#6 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

Everything seemed to go perfectly on the second attempt. I was actually able to complete a Ctb install, then I added Dsotsc, Bonehill, BG1NPC, Grey Clan, and Exnem. Again, everything went smoothly until I started a game. I loaded up in Candlekeep, but my dialog is completely fubared. Does anybody have any hints as to what went wrong? Unless I can get a clean dialog file, I'm definitely going to have to try a third time, It'd be nice to get it right, for once.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#7 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:28 PM

Did you !configure! and !run! both BGI and BGII before running the auto-installer? I seem to recall someone else on this forum who had the same problem and fixed it this way. But your install requires a re-install basically.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#8 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:01 PM

Did you !configure! and !run! both BGI and BGII before running the auto-installer?  I seem to recall someone else on this forum who had the same problem and fixed it this way.  But your install requires a re-install basically.

View Post

I configured BGII but not BG1. There's not a whole lot to configure with BG1. My son told that there was one error message that popped up during the CtB4BGT install. WEIDU reported that the 3498 file was too large for it to handle. Had to visit the can during the process so I didn't see the error report and it didn't show up on the WEIDU log.

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // Component Name
~SETUP-BP-BGT-NEJ_PATCH313.TP2~ #0 #0 // BP-BGT-NEJ, Patch 313
~SETUP-NEJFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Never Ending Journey v1.4 Patch
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #0 // Install BP s_&_h Patch version 3
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #1 // BP Nerfs: Based upon Hlidskialf's Nerf scripts, this component reduces the difficulty of some of the more troublesome creatures.
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #2 // NEJ-specific fixes
~SETUP-BP_S_AND_H_PATCH.TP2~ #0 #3 // Sureblade Nerf: Downgrades Rolf's sword to something more manageable
~SETUP-CHECKTHEBODIES V150.TP2~ #0 #2 // Check The Bodies for Baldur's Gate II (SoA & ToB) v 150
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // Copy all portraits for use by player characters
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // Replace all NPC portraits (AMOK)
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #4 // Alternate Branwen portrait: BioWare edit by XVIII
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #5 // Alternate by Amok
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #8 // Alternate #1 by Amok
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #13 // Alternate Faldorn Portrait: by XVIII
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #19 // Alternate Kivan Portrait: BioWare edit by XVIII
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #23 // Alternate Safana Portrait: BioWare edit by XVIII
~BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK/BG1NPC_PORTRAIT_PACK.TP2~ #0 #27 // Alternate Viconia Portrait: BioWare edit by XVIII
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project for BP-BGT(!) Banters
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project for BG1 Tutu or BGT: Quests.
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #2 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #3 // Change Unarmoured Male Human Rogue Appearance
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #4 // Change Unarmoured Female Human Rogue Appearance
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #5 // Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #6 // Give Imoen her BG2 portrait.
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #7 // Give Jaheira her BG2 portrait.
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #8 // Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #9 // Give Viconia her BG2 portrait.
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #10 // Give Coran his new portrait #1, by Amok edit by Domi
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #11 // Give Coran his new portrait #2, BioWare edit by Tancred and NiGHTMARE
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #12 // Give Coran his new portrait #3, by Melisah
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #13 // Non-joinable character portraits
~SETUP-BG1NPCBGT.TP2~ #0 #14 // Coran's Romance
~SETUP-DSOTSC.TP2~ #0 #0 // DSotSC v1.2 Mod
~SETUP-DSOTSC.TP2~ #0 #1 // Now for the decompression of area .tis files.
~SETUP-CTB4BGT-BP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Check the Bodies Fix for BGT-BP games
~SETUP-BONEHILL.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bone Hill Mod (Requires BGT-BP)
~SETUP-BONEHILL.TP2~ #0 #1 // Now for the decompression of area .tis files.
~SETUP-BONEHILLV11.TP2~ #0 #0 // Bone Hill Mod Patch 1.1
~SETUP-EXNEM.TP2~ #0 #0 // Exnem Vault, Install Items
~SETUP-EXNEM.TP2~ #0 #1 // Add items to creatures
~SETUP-EXNEM.TP2~ #0 #2 // Add items to areas
~SETUP-TGC1.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Grey Clan Episode I: The Last Breath of the Past v1.7

Reinstall it is then. I'd hate to reinstall and have the same problem a second time. I'd also hate to have to rebuild the file from scratch.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#9 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:08 PM

[/QUOTE]My son told that there was one error message that popped up during the CtB4BGT install. WEIDU reported that the 3498 file was too large for it to handle. Had to visit the can during the process so I didn't see the error report and it didn't show up on the WEIDU log.[QUOTE]For your information, errors will appear in the DEBUG files. However, do you have CtB4BGT-BPv2? The original version is known to have that error and is basically obsolete now.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#10 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:37 AM

If you still need to start the reinstall you can first download version 1.5 of DSotSC. This one should have the CtB compatablity already in there. It might help to clear the problems too.

Aso if you have enough disk space, take a copy after you installed BP-BGT-NEJ fully patched, so you know you don't have to go through that install again. I know taking a backup copy will take qiute a bit of time, but it's still faster than doing a full reinstall of BP-BGT-NEJ.

After each install of a mod you can always start the game and start BG1 (Candlekeep movie and landmarks) and BGII (Going to CtB still works) to see if they are still working. If not you know where it's going wrong and can focus on that one mod instead of reinstalling everything. Once you know what mod is giving you problems you know which debug file to look at and hopefully find out what is giving you the problem.

I hope you can get your game installed again soon so we can read about your adventures again.

#11 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:07 PM

My son told that there was one error message that popped up during the CtB4BGT install. WEIDU reported that the 3498 file was too large for it to handle. Had to visit the can during the process so I didn't see the error report and it didn't show up on the WEIDU log.

For your information, errors will appear in the DEBUG files.  However, do you have CtB4BGT-BPv2?  The original version is known to have that error and is basically obsolete now.

View Post

Oho, I didn't realize that there was a version 2 of CtB4BGT. Looks like another rendition of the download dance. Wooga, Wooga, Wooga, click. Wooga, Wooga, Wooga, click. :D

I was reading about Dsotsc 1.5 as I was firing up the autoinstaller for the 2nd attempt. Downloading it and replacing the 1.2 version and the CtB compatability mod with one shot could be a plan. Hell, and I used to think that installing BP manually was complicated. Sheesh :D

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#12 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:11 PM

Mark,

Read the forums! Version 2 of CtB4BGT still as some bad area files (according to KD). DSotSC has merged in CtB4BGT so you don't need both anyway. Skip CtB4BGT if you are planning to install the new DSotSC. Version 1.5 of DSotSC has the three areas in it and a fixed Worldmap.

I should have TheWizard remove CtB4BGT altogether if everyone plans to install DSotSC.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#13 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:41 PM

Mark,

Read the forums!  Version 2 of CtB4BGT still as some bad area files (according to KD).  DSotSC has merged in CtB4BGT so you don't need both anyway.  Skip CtB4BGT if you are planning to install the new DSotSC.  Version 1.5 of DSotSC has the three areas in it and a fixed Worldmap.

I should have TheWizard remove CtB4BGT altogether if everyone plans to install DSotSC.

View Post

Read the forums, he says. I thought I had been reading them. The spouse already complains that I spend more time reading the damned forums than I do with her. I know, knock off the candy-ass whining and start downloading.

I'm downloading DSotSC 1.5 now. I also plan on trying to download NTotSC. It'll be a long night. My next launch will probably have to wait until tomorrow after work, at this point. Don't normally work Fridays, but I'm taking my little terroristas on a Field Trip to see the San Jacinto Monument and to tour the Battleship Texas.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#14 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 06:13 PM

I've launched attempt #3. Hopefully I can complete the BP-BGT-NEJ portion of the install before I toddle off to bed. If I'm going to be babysitting my computer. I may as well have some fun. Thought about playing 1503 A.D. for awhile . . . nah!!!
I suppose I could be recording semester exam grades . . . nah!!!
Staring at the computer screen hoping against hope, for a successful install . . . ye HA!!!!

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#15 PolarBear

PolarBear
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:46 AM

*Casts a luck spell.*

View Post

Looks like an unpleasent wild surge effect has occured while casting :D

#16 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 08:09 PM

*Casts a luck spell.*

View Post

Looks like an unpleasent wild surge effect has occured while casting :D

View Post

S'More like I f***** up again. Something I seem to be especially talented at. I managed to launch the autoinstaller without clearing the WEIDU log, the override folder, the data folder, and any of the other sneaky little hiding places where mutant files tend to hide out after a botched install. The rebuild came out with pretty much the same problem as the first. Normal screen, whacked dialog. I tried to play through it, thinking that maybe it only affected the Candlekeep screen. The little chores seemed to working, after a fashion, I would get the explanation and reward after some really screwy dialog, until I went to do the group fighting training. When I left that area, I was whisked off to Tethyr and the Party of Eight transition screen. Tethyr is no place for a first level character. When the overall frustration level has dropped off and the spouse is finished making barbed comments about how much time I spend with the damned game, I'll try and send up another rebuild.

Laughing to keep from crying . . .

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 14 January 2005 - 08:13 PM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#17 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 08:10 AM

S'More like I f***** up again. Something I seem to be especially talented at. I managed to launch the autoinstaller without clearing the WEIDU log, the override folder, the data folder, and any of the other sneaky little hiding places where mutant files tend to hide out after a botched install. The rebuild came out with pretty much the same problem as the first. Normal screen, whacked dialog. I tried to play through it, thinking that maybe it only affected the Candlekeep screen. The little chores seemed to working, after a fashion, I would get the explanation and reward after some really screwy dialog, until I went to do the group fighting training. When I left that area, I was whisked off to Tethyr and the Party of Eight transition screen. Tethyr is no place for a first level character. When the overall frustration level has dropped off and the spouse is finished making barbed comments about how much time I spend with the damned game, I'll try and send up another rebuild.

Laughing to keep from crying . . .

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

View Post

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I really have a problem. I just completed a patched rebuild of BP-BGT-NEJ (and nothing else.) I went through and cleaned out all of my BGII folders and replaced them with my backup files, then I cleaned out my WEIDU log. I ran the Checker to make sure everything was in place, then I ran the autoinstaller. Everything went smoothly, until I loaded up. My PC showed up in Candlekeep. Graphics and sound were fine, Dialog was still whacked. When I left the group combat training area, I ended up in Tethyr again. How do I get out of this mess???? :blink:

Bewildered . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#18 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 09:17 AM

How did you get into this mess? Can you uninstall the game and really start from the beginning? Do you at least have an SOA/TOB game that is clean that you can start from? Make sure you run both BG1 and BG2 at least once so the INI files get the settings they need (I'm sure there is more to it but at least it does that ). Run as in build a character and get the first screen of the game up.

From there, copy the SOA folder somewhere save. Setup the BGT-BP-NeJ folders and run the autoinstall. If a played game of that doesn't work, copy back over the good SOA folder. Always remember to delete the bad SOA folder. Never copy over it. A copy just puts good files in a bad location. Deleting a bad game removes what ever is causing all this.

I keep one BGT-BP-NeJ master folder tucked away so I can start a new game build from that starting point. It works until Horred ever updates BP to version 162 or something. :)

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#19 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:08 AM

How did you get into this mess?  Can you uninstall the game and really start from the beginning?  Do you at least have an SOA/TOB game that is clean that you can start from?  Make sure you run both BG1 and BG2 at least once so the INI files get the settings they need (I'm sure there is more to it but at least it does that ).  Run as in build a character and get the first screen of the game up.

From there, copy the SOA folder somewhere save.  Setup the BGT-BP-NeJ folders and run the autoinstall.  If a played game of that doesn't work, copy back over the good SOA folder.  Always remember to delete the bad SOA folder.  Never copy over it.  A copy just puts good files in a bad location.  Deleting a bad game removes what ever is causing all this.

I keep one BGT-BP-NeJ master folder tucked away so I can start a new game build from that starting point.  It works until Horred ever updates BP to version 162 or something. :)

View Post

I wish I knew, exactly. It's acting like I botched something during an install of CtB. So, the next course would be a complete flush of my current flies and starting from the discs and the downloaded files. Once I have a functional install BP-BGT-NEJ, set it aside, then continue the build process from there.

Is it possible that my BGI install has become corrupt? I never thought of that possibility. My son mentioned it this morning on our little ride to recycle cans. He's having a grand laugh while I flounder about with this install. At the moment, he's lost interest in BG, addicted to EverQuest, don'tchaknow.

The wife used to have this really neat little stamp. The face on the stamp kind of looked like "The Scream" and underneath it had this caption; "It's been lovely but, I have to scream now." Seems like a good place for that stamp, right about here ( ) Do we have an emoticon for a scream??

Once more into the breach . . .

Mark

Edited by mr2131, 15 January 2005 - 11:16 AM.

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

#20 mr2131

mr2131
  • 297 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:48 PM

Step one is complete. I now have a successfully installed and patched BP-BGT-NEJ and a back-up file. My next procedure will be to install CtB prep, CtB 150, BG1NPC, DSotSC 1.5, and NTotSC. I'll come up for air and report when those files have been installed.

Happy Trails . . .

Mark

W.B. Yeats

Happy Trails . . .

Mark