• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 12:51 AM

Welcome to the new forum, for my NWN remake mod. I've put a lot of time into blending a lot of systems together, and hopefully it will show.

The Hardcore rules are here, with most systems implemented and even augmented. Hunger, thirst, and fatigue are a factor here. Hunting, fishing, even pies and beercrafting. Resting is set to once every 8 hours. Bleeding to -10HP, I did a variation on the 'soul fragment' system. 2% of your XP are stored in this upon death. You can buy the fragment off from the priest at 10GP per point, or work it off in combat. Combat will only give you 30% of your earned XP until the debt is paid--the other 70% goes to pay the debt.

I used CNR for my craft system. I also added a lot of recipes--items up to +6 can be crafted. The special abilities of these items make them amongst the most powerful in the game. Inspired by Internode's "Drow Wars" craft system--the best I've seen out there. (I didn't copy it, theirs is still way better tha mine.) I've made a whole new set of "beauty icons" (gathered from arounf the vault) for thecomponents. This was my #1 complaint with CNR--it looked ugly. :rolleyes:

The components for the "wings Quest" are also crafted. This is to both encourage use of the craft system and party (group) participation.

No "craft farms" here--the components are spread throughout the world. General rule of thumb: the better the item the ingredients make, the harder they are to get. ;)

Kittrell's banking system runs the finance section. A great system this; includes interest, a loan officer, and an investment broker! Just in case you missed out on these in real life. :P

Player housing is fully functional. I even included a full line of CNR craftable furniture, in case you want to beat the rush at the crafting halls. And every house would not be complete without an ale keg... :D

There is a rather robust wandering monster system here; checks made hourly, and at resting time. watch your backs... :o

I've added an all-new epic quest to the game, with about 25 areas. Also, a northern tundra section with its own Ice Giant Jarl. About 15 new areas there.

Speaking of areas--thanks to the Leutian Kane crew for trading areas and systems with me. Glad the modding community spirit we got going in BG2 could be emanated in NWN as well! I included about 100 custom areas from that nordock's version. Puts the mod up to 588 areas! (EDIT: I've gathered there is a dispute amongst crew members/former crew members in that mod, more recently than when I did all this--if this affects my using any of these areas, please let me know ASAP. I don't see why it would; it's not like I'm profitting from this at all, just trying to expand the players' fun. Full accredidation will be given, of course--but I can make areas as easily as the next guy, if absolutely imperative...)

The CEP is part of this, with the creatures integrated into the spawns. I didn't "beautify" the areas with all their lovely placeables--trees, etc.; perhaps in the future if i can't find way too many other things to do, as per usual.... :online2long:

I recently added the PRC to the mix! Cool stuff here.... 50 new races, about 100 new prestige classes, and lots of new feats and spells. The more, the merrier, as they say. I used their in-game character creation convo, by primogenitor. Keeps dm's & players from passing .bic files back & forth in the mail. I haven't fully integrated the new races into their own starting zones yet, but I might in the future. They currently default to the surface, the drow, or the duergar. First one I'll add is DeepGnomes, and probably put the deep halflings there too. Next would be a place (in the underdark) for the humanoid races--so they aren't part of drow/duergar society.

Lots of other treats here too, both big and small. Play and discover them.

This mod will require a custom hakpak, for some new tilesets and item icons. All 3 games, CEP and PRC as well (several hak's in PRC mod). Also, NWNX2 and a MySQL server--with Fast French's NWN-FF plugin's--if you're running the server for it. You may be able to get by with MS-SQL--but as I do not have MS access, I really cannot say... :whistling:

I'm no SQL expert, I roughed my way through this part with my eyes closed and a prayer book in hand--so please don't ask me about setting it up---ask the experts! :ph34r:

This is intended for multiplayer, server play. Solo players may find themselves in over their head. Don't say I didn't warn ye.... :whistling:

All the files will be available on the Vault, within a couple days. I'll post the links as soon as I have them.

Let the games begin! :thumb:

#2 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 02:25 AM

Oh boy. I can't wait. I ran a local server for my family last year running a modified version of Nordock.

I have just came back to NWN (can't find anything as good as NWN or BG2) and I found your MOD.

I will be watching your thread... waiting for new release....

THANKS
udoh

:thumb:

#3 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:10 AM

Can you tell me what versions of NWN, CEP and PRC will I need installed for your new release?

Edited by udoh, 08 February 2005 - 06:10 AM.

#4 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:29 AM

Can you tell me what versions of NWN, CEP and PRC will I need installed for your new release?

View Post

All the latest:

NWNv165, CEPv150, and PRCv2.2b. All 3 games as well.

Just got some really bad news on this yesterday--I'm in the process of removing >100 areas, many of which were given to me to use; unbeknownst to me, unauthorized. I'm hoping the module will live through the disassembly. Naturally, this has set back my timetable; I was about to release this mod yesterday. More information on progress as I have it--I've started the removal process.

#5 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 06:35 AM

All the latest:

Just got some really bad news on this yesterday--I'm in the process of removing >100 areas, many of which were given to me to use; unbeknownst to me, unauthorized. I'm hoping the module will live through the disassembly. Naturally, this has set back my timetable; I was about to release this mod yesterday. More information on progress as I have it--I've started the removal process.

View Post

Thanks, and damn that sucks :( I thought that all the module areas and stuff was all "open source" kinda, and why would someone not give you permission to include their modules if you gave them credit for the work?

udoh

#6 Leutian Kane

Leutian Kane
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:29 PM

All the latest:

View Post

Thanks, and damn that sucks :( I thought that all the module areas and stuff was all "open source" kinda, and why would someone not give you permission to include their modules if you gave them credit for the work?

udoh

View Post

Actually , regardless of what others may have said, the areas in question were known to have been given to horred and at the time they were given noone had a problem with them being used by him, they recently decided to be arses about this, and as such a big apology goes out to horred as he had nothing to do with it, he took them in good faith so for those nay sayers out there, get offa horreds back, you know who you are, and if you have a serious problem with the areas he was using , you should have spoken up sooner as i DID tell you i let him have the module, and at the time you had no issues with him using them, IE just because we have parted ways DONT take it out on Horred! EDIT: also technicly the areas in question had to be redone by me as they lacked encounters ,placeables , scripts, area transitions etc so the only work i didnt do was building the areas. so if someone wants to get really technical bout it the areas are just as much mine as anyone elses because of the work i had to put into them to make them playable.

Edited by Leutian Kane, 08 February 2005 - 09:41 PM.

#7 -Tim Durkin-

-Tim Durkin-

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:11 PM

All the latest:

View Post

udoh

View Post

Actually , regardless of what others may have said, the areas in question were known to have been given to horred and at the time they were given noone had a problem with them being used by him, they recently decided to be arses about this, and as such a big apology goes out to horred as he had nothing to do with it, he took them in good faith so for those nay sayers out there, get offa horreds back, you know who you are, and if you have a serious problem with the areas he was using , you should have spoken up sooner as i DID tell you i let him have the module, and at the time you had no issues with him using them, IE just because we have parted ways DONT take it out on Horred! EDIT: also technicly the areas in question had to be redone by me as they lacked encounters ,placeables , scripts, area transitions etc so the only work i didnt do was building the areas. so if someone wants to get really technical bout it the areas are just as much mine as anyone elses because of the work i had to put into them to make them playable.

View Post

Ok. From what I can understand here, Horred had every right to use the areas in question. As he had taken them in good faith, he was given all rights to use them for whatever purpose he saw fit. More than half of the contents of the areas in question were added and modified by Leutian. Due to the fact that he technically owns more than 50% of the actual product, it is rightfully his, nomatter what you say. If you want, I can even draw up the legal technicalities to go along with this. Yes, there are rules that apply to everyday usage of the internet, materials provided through such, and any programs available for such, including additional modifications (Add-Ons [Mods]). Though you may have an issue with Horred using the areas in question, Leutian owns all rights to them and in such, he gave permission to Horred to use and abuse. You have no jurisdiction in this situation nomatter your defense. I have proven my point about 4-5 times in this little copyright acknowledgement. All material is copyrighted and provided by Leutian at no cost to Horred. He gave permission, and permission was used. Back up off of his back before you make even more of an ass of yourself.

-Thanks Kiddies.

#8 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:51 AM

[Actually , regardless of what others may have said, the areas in question were known to have been given to horred and at the time they were given noone had a problem with them being used by him, they recently decided to be arses about this, and as such a big apology goes out to horred  as he had nothing to do with it, he took them in good faith so for those nay sayers out there, get offa horreds back, you know who you are, and if you have a serious problem with the areas he was using , you should have spoken up sooner as i DID tell you i let him have the module, and at the time you had no issues with him using them, IE just because we have parted ways DONT take it out on Horred! EDIT: also technicly the areas in question had to be redone by me as they lacked encounters ,placeables , scripts, area transitions etc so the only work i didnt do was building the areas. so if someone wants to get really technical bout it the areas are just as much mine as anyone elses because of the work i had to put into them to make them playable.

View Post

Ok. From what I can understand here, Horred had every right to use the areas in question. As he had taken them in good faith, he was given all rights to use them for whatever purpose he saw fit. More than half of the contents of the areas in question were added and modified by Leutian. Due to the fact that he technically owns more than 50% of the actual product, it is rightfully his, nomatter what you say. If you want, I can even draw up the legal technicalities to go along with this. Yes, there are rules that apply to everyday usage of the internet, materials provided through such, and any programs available for such, including additional modifications (Add-Ons [Mods]). Though you may have an issue with Horred using the areas in question, Leutian owns all rights to them and in such, he gave permission to Horred to use and abuse. You have no jurisdiction in this situation nomatter your defense. I have proven my point about 4-5 times in this little copyright acknowledgement. All material is copyrighted and provided by Leutian at no cost to Horred. He gave permission, and permission was used. Back up off of his back before you make even more of an ass of yourself.

-Thanks Kiddies.

View Post

Well, I think my last statement still stands with "Damn that sucks". "Horred", do what you feel is right the "community" will support your choice, keep up the good work :)

I wish there was something I could do, i've dabbled in the scripting, and area's but not really enough to produce something. I can test things, and report errors (not that there will be any.. :) )

Cheers

:thumb:

#9 Leutian Kane

Leutian Kane
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 10:26 PM

methinks horred should check his forums more often an comment a bit more.

#10 taza

taza

NWN Modder

• 170 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:45 AM

Tim Durkin: Back off with your fancy terms, while you know nothing of the situation.

Leutian owned at maximum 20% of the actual module he had (I would guess around 5%), and wasn't authorized to give away my content or content of the another author who objected.

Leutian DOES NOT own the areas in question, only part of them.

Due to the fact that he technically owns more than 50% of the actual product, it is rightfully his, nomatter what you say.

I call bullshit on that.

So, in conclusion, "Tim Durkin" is an asskisser of Leutian and Leutian is a content stealer.

(@Horred: Do you still have the december mod? )
(I later gave Horred the right to use my areas - this does not unfortunately extend to the lowerdark, as that is not my work.)

Edited by taza, 10 February 2005 - 01:55 AM.

Mods in progress: Telinport v5

#11 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:53 AM

Whilst legally there is nothing taza can do (IANAL ) but i do belive he is completly correct ,On the grounds taza gave you the right to use his modifications on your product he did not extend that right .
If you purchase say a copy of IRIX for your server , you have purchased the right to use that OS on your server , you have not purchased the right to give it to all your mates.
had this mod of depended upon the origional , then it would have falled under the license of the origional ( Which btw you dont own either) then you could of freely distrubted it , however taza had said only that you may use it in your mod.
Whilst i am a strong supported of the GPL and other license which open content , this wasnt under the gpl or bsd license so unfortunatly leutian you have done something which is moraly and ethicaly wrong , now please end this rubbish and appoligise .

Cheers to horred for doing the right thing when he found out , although i understand taza being a good guy in this now extended the rights to use this mod to horred

#12 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

Well, as it stands--this mod is dead. The act of removing the areas has made it utterly unusable. It won't even load now.

No, I do not have a backup from december. I did accept this all 'in good faith', and I've been burned for it. Months of work down the $hitter.

I'm still too upset to even try and attempt to get this working again. I am CERTAINLY NOT going to do it all over again. Getting things to this point was nightmare enough; and then, to have it all blow up in my face at the last moment, when I finally have it all working great, is simply heartbreaking. Yes, I still have a perfectly working copy with all these areas intact, but I cannot distribute it. A lot of good that does anybody but me...unless something changes, and I can use ALL of the areas I included.

This forum can be deleted at any time; it seems I have no further need of this. Sorry to have bothered you Neil; I feel like an ass for even asking for it. Under the circumstances. I doubt I'll even bother making ANYTHING for NWN again. The whole experience just STINKS!

If I do, it will be a 100% original work, and NOBODY else will contribute to it. I would use some of fine systems out there that are CLERLY AVAILABLE for all to use, but that's it. I wouldn't even want assistance from anybody--as that can obviously blow up in your face. Trust NOBODY in this particular modding community, it seems.

Though I won't take my frustration and anger out on the loyal BG2 community that have been enjoying my mod work for years; I hope they understand that I would like some time away from the toolsets.

#13 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 11:03 AM

Hi Horrid, Sorry to hear things didn't work.

I was really looking forward to your updated MOD.

I think i will go and check out your BG2 mods instead. I must say, I am a bit suprised about people's attitude towards the areas.

Anyways, Good luck with your BG2 Mods :)

#14 Leutian Kane

Leutian Kane
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:38 PM

Tim Durkin: Back off with your fancy terms, while you know nothing of the situation.

Leutian owned at maximum 20% of the actual module he had (I would guess around 5%), and wasn't authorized to give away my content or content of the another author who objected.

Due to the fact that he technically owns more than 50% of the actual product, it is rightfully his, nomatter what you say.

I call bullshit on that.

So, in conclusion, "Tim Durkin" is an asskisser of Leutian and Leutian is a content stealer.

(I later gave Horred the right to use my areas - this does not unfortunately extend to the lowerdark, as that is not my work.)

View Post

ok FIRST OF ALL, i own WAY MORE of the module that what you think TAZA i have added myself well over 50 areas , and i DO OWN your areas because after the module switch i had to REDO all of them. so their mine you dont like it well thats just tough, and as far as lowerdark is concerned, i did mention those were the author's areas prior to them even being used, if it was an issue then the author should have been contacted an permission gained, 2ndly this is all FREEWARE and as long as credit is given where credit is due distribution should NOT be an issue. after all people that are stingy bout their junk are stingy in real life an have no place in a modding community. period and another thing i would suggest you Leave Tim alone, tim happens to be my business partner as well as a DM on LK so he does know the whole situation and has as things happened, and horred i really appreciate the mature outlook that was taken on this, people want to be asses let em, i told you when i gave you the mod what was whos and if it was really such an issue then you should have taken it upon yourself to contact said people anyway, and if people really want to push the issue, we can i have no qualms about that , but since horred has given up over this there really is no point. and in all honesty i think this whole thing got blown way out of proportion an should just be left at that, also taza it really shows your maturity level when all youve done since you quit LK over a dumb issue i might add is try an bash me and anyone who works with me GROW UP get a life an get over yourself you are nothing special there are others out there with way more knowledge and much less attitude over this stuff than you that i have chosen to work with an believe me things are going much more smoothly now that your gone . end of story. EDIT : and FYI the other author didnt object he didnt care one way or the other , i made the judgement call not to include his areas in the pub rel on the vault. since i knew they would be used elsewhere.

Edited by Leutian Kane, 10 February 2005 - 01:40 PM.

#15 -Tim Durkin-

-Tim Durkin-

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

I call bullshit on that.

View Post

Oh, I'm an asskisser now? I feel so loved.

Stop with my fancy terms? Just because you are a fucking illiterate goddamn 15 year old prick doesn't mean you have to read it. I have as much a right to say what I want on a public forum as your stingy ass.

I also happen to know quite a bit more on the situation than you do! :P

Listen kid, you need to learn to act a little more mature. LK here has done a justice to the community by giving the mods to Horred. It seems to me that it's the community that decides what is right and what is wrong, don't you think? The community thinks so. :)

Too bad taza, I do believe you have made an even bigger ass of yourself than I could have myself. I was hopin to put you down like the rabbid dog you are, but seeing as how you already took care of it for me, I'll leave you alone.

-Peace. :P

#16 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:10 PM

Alright, put the pots on simmer, everyone...

I've sent a PM to the concerned area's maker, I tracked him down. When I hear back from him, I'll know better.

Taza was actually a big help in doing this. He also is going to look at the mod, and see if he can help with removal, if necessary. So perhaps, all is not lost yet. Only time will tell.

#17 -Guest_Leutian_*-

-Guest_Leutian_*-

Posted 10 February 2005 - 02:22 PM

Alright, put the pots on simmer, everyone...

I've sent a PM to the concerned area's maker, I tracked him down. When I hear back from him, I'll know better.

Taza was actually a big help in doing this. He also is going to look at the mod, and see if he can help with removal, if necessary. So perhaps, all is not lost yet. Only time will tell.

View Post

good, only trouble i foresee is him having a problem now that his areas have made it into RR tho at the time you recieved the module they hadnt and he didnt know if they were going to or not, an thats probably why he didnt care . so it may be a different story now.

#18 taza

taza

NWN Modder

• 170 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 12:57 AM

Oh, how fitting this is.

MPrilla v3. Complete with a regular asskisser and the spam.
Mods in progress: Telinport v5

#19 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:07 AM

Leutian you made an honest mistake , as far as i know it was an honest mistake . so just apoligise to taza and let it come to an end
....... BTW
Taza did you a favour by letting you use and modify some areas ,
You in return were gratefull
latter on you decided you owned them and could do what you want with them
see the problem here.
You dont own them , it was a collaberative effort.
As much as i belive in the principles of things like the GPL and the creative commens license , i also strongly belive in the rights of an individual to choose , and taza didnt release his areas under one of these licenses , he made it clear you could use them on this project and that alone
So lets stop this silly bickering eh-.
:::::NMT

#20 -Wolfie-

-Wolfie-

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:20 AM

Well said !T everyone start acting like adults or ill start getting angry, the staff will be looking into this situation, nobody in FWMC likes the idea of modders stealing other modders work so we want to find the truth.

End of stupid discussion.