Romances in DA

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:20 AM

Good news for those who liked the romances in BG2 : it seems that, in DA, if you say something nasty, the romance will not hit automatically a dead end. There will be the "apology" option, which seems a great idea and definetely makes the romances more interesting.

Also the lovetalks won't be inititated only by the NPC's, like in BG2.

David Gaider :

Quote: Posted 01/28/05 01:26:28 (GMT) by Nom.au
Perhaps my two biggest concerns are 'dead end' dialogue options and passive romancing. By passive romancing I mean that all the key dialogues are initiated by the NPC. As a PC, I'd like the option to, on my own initiative, to go out of the way to please my friend. This includes initiating conversation where I can compliment them, trinkets that I can buy them (and preferably have them give a positive response), and whatnot. Even the option to buy them a meal in a tavern (or proposition them for bed, depending on your preferences). These don't even need to change the NPC attitude counter, but just ways to make it more real and feel appreciated. Obviously, if such things can trigger an attitude counter, you need a mechanism to stop spamming ("uh, bruce, this is too much. I need space").

That's a good point to bring up.

I know that we started addressing this a bit more in HotU. We made it so that half the dialogues were initiated by the player at their leisure and the other half were initiated by the NPC. I think that worked fairly well, too, even if it was a bit harder to write.

Funny you should mention some of the other stuff, because these too are a logical advancement (like buying something for your love interest). A few things you mentioned sound very do-able, though, and I hadn't really thought of. Thanks, I just might include them.

Quote: Dead ends are also a concern. Regardless of whether a "wrong" answer will break the plotlet, the _perception_ that such an answer exists is frustrating. I want the ability to do something stupid and then make up for it, rather than have the chain simply end. To put it another way: to play the dialogue, rather than attempt to win it.

We haven't really had the "dead end" thing much since BG2. Recalling Carth in KotOR, there was perhaps one or two actual instances where selecting a response would end the romance track completely. At those points, though, I just thought that there's no getting past saying this... it's just too awful. Other things, however, would cause an argument or a bit of banter, but there were no 'traps' in the dialogue, per se.

I do kind of like the idea of leaving it up to the player to apologize, however. Perhaps have a few specific points where it is possible for the player to make the NPC angry and have the conversation end... and if the player wishes for the "romance track" to continue, then they would have to initiate an apology. Or not. Much better, probably, then having the NPC always doing the apologizing. Hmmm. Hmmmmmm. Actually, yes, I really like that.

Quote: several times in the Bioware campaigns, there are multiple dialogue options presented. If choose to ask about certain things first, you cannot later go back and ask about other things - even though you have not negatively impacted the character's attitude.

I'm not sure this is what you're asking about, but I'm wondering how you would feel about changing the "romance track" to a different progression style altogether?

Would it be an improvement if we allowed the player to ask certain questions, and the NPC's response would vary based on on their current attitude towards the player and how much they had already told them? And then new "starter" questions for the PC to ask could be opened up as their story continued?

That way you could have several "story paths" ongoing at the same time... but the player could discuss them and jump between them as he wished. A bit more like natural conversation, as opposed to the A-B-C-D method.

The only trouble, there, would be having the various paths interact with each other and not feel completely independant. If you make the NPC angry in one path, her attitude towards you in another line of dialogue shouldn't suddenly shift. As well, if you learn something that is relevant in another line, the NPC should know that you know that. It could get quite confusing and risk suspending disbelief completely. The thing about the A-B-C-D progression is that that style flows much more naturally... even if it is less interactive (to a degree, as you can still have paths).

#2 Garumn

Garumn
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:19 AM

hey its great from where did you get all that info?
Here you find my own gallery with some pics of me.Enjoy

http://www.blackdagg...t=500&password=

#3 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 06:35 PM

From David Gaider.
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#4 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:58 PM

Or more specifically, from the BioWare forums: http://forums.biowar...m.html?forum=84
Forward he cried from the rear
And the front rank died
And the general sat and the lines on the map
Moved from side to side.

#5 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

Wow, this is great. Definitely something worth waiting for. I was quite disappointed with the romances in KOTOR 2 but KOTOR 1 was not bad at all. If the romances in DA can deliver at KOTOR 1's level or better, I'm definitely buying the game.

#6 Garumn

Garumn
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:52 AM

I never played KOTOR coz I just hate everything associated with SW

#7 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:14 AM

View Post

Well, KotOR is actually a great game ;). I'm playing it at the moment, but I suppose if you aren't turned on by a pair of red lightsabers, then you won't enjoy it so much :P.

The dialogue in KotOR, BioWare's previous product, is quite good, and having more active dialogue in Dragon Age, and less linear romances (since in BG2 it really was a quest to see the "win" romance dialogue) is a good thing :thumb: , don't you think?

#8 Garumn

Garumn
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:17 AM

I would definately buy Dragon Age and NWN2 +Oblivion and Gotic 3, these are the only good SP RPGs coming out this year

#9 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:18 AM

View Post

Well, KotOR is actually a great game ;). I'm playing it at the moment, but I suppose if you aren't turned on by a pair of red lightsabers, then you won't enjoy it so much :P.

The dialogue in KotOR, BioWare's previous product, is quite good, and having more active dialogue in Dragon Age, and less linear romances (since in BG2 it really was a quest to see the "win" romance dialogue) is a good thing :thumb: , don't you think?

View Post

Agreed. I love lightsabers even if I'm not fond of the SW movies, well some of it. The game is actually quite good, KOTOR 1 especially. Anyhow, if DA can delivery more than KOTOR 1 did, I'm all for it.

#10 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 05:42 AM

Sorry...Are you sure that NWN2 and Dragon Age ARE coming otu this year. I was under the impression that both are bl00dy miles away from completion
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#11 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:04 AM

Optimism is a virtue, Child ;).

#12 Garumn

Garumn
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 06:22 AM

Yep v.important virtue

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 08:20 AM

It seems that DA'll be a very intriguing game indeed. Always looking forward to Oblivion too, of course.

#14 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

Sorry...Are you sure that NWN2 and Dragon Age ARE coming otu this year. I was under the impression that both are bl00dy miles away from completion

View Post

No, its not this year. Its bloody miles away as you put it. :D IIRC NWN 2 is 2006 and DA is 2007 or 2008, currently no fixed date announced.

#15 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 05:44 AM

No, its not this year. Its bloody miles away as you put it.  :D  IIRC NWN 2 is 2006 and DA is 2007 or 2008, currently no fixed date announced.

View Post

Ah. I thought so. Optimisim is limited in its value. Well, as long as NWN2 isn't as generally poor as NWN was, and DA is on the level of BG2, I don't care how long it takes to bring them out. :D
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#16 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:04 PM

No, its not this year. Its bloody miles away as you put it.  :D  IIRC NWN 2 is 2006 and DA is 2007 or 2008, currently no fixed date announced.

View Post

Yeah, not to mention that Oblivion probably wont be out untill late next year :crying:
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#17 Garumn

Garumn
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:06 PM

Nope Oblivion should be out this year, its fixed

#18 Tom

Tom

moT

• 1403 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 07:56 PM

Nope Oblivion should be out this year, its fixed

View Post

Where does it say that? Looking at the FAQ on www.elderscrolls.com the first thing says that they still havent set a date.
And the front rank died
Moved from side to side.

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:54 AM

I hope they ain't rushing it... lest it end up like KotOR II.

#20 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 08:06 AM

aye
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me