• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#21 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:49 PM

Only problem here: Can such a large map be handled by the game? It would be about 5000 x 4000 pixels.

I am all for that last option. What do you think?

View Post

Sounds great to me. (I wonder if we could demark these other areas that Nightmare mentioned as well...just in case somebody wants to develop them?)

One time, "just for the halibut", I put a 5000x8000 map in the game, and it loaded--so it should work.

But since I'm not the only modmaker involved these days, let's wait to hear some other opinions. ;)

#22 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

I wonder if we could demark these other areas that Nightmare mentioned as well...just in case somebody wants to develop them?

View Post

Sure - will do ;)

I have just set up a poll on this topic, so that I get a better impression of what the community wants. Please put your votes here.

#23 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:56 AM

Another option would be to double the size of the whole map, with the exception of the exploded maps.

View Post

By doubling the whole map we have lots of room for new mods and when mods that change the worldmap need to be made compatible with BP at least there won't be a problem with placing the new areas.

Also because the basic worldmap would be the same maybe someone could write a program that reads the old worldmap from the saved game, and marks all the visited areas on the new worldmap so you wouldn't have to start a new game any more to get the new areas. I don't know if this is possible or not but it would be worth to give it a try.

#24 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:20 AM

I don't think anyone knows if there's a limit or not - you may have to find out for yourself ;).

BTW I just noticed there's a country label missing - east of the mountains on the eastern side of the Shining Plains is Turmish. Come to think of it, the mountains could do with a label as well - they're the Orsraun Mountains.

EDIT: actually there's two country labels missing :). The other one is The Shaar, just south east of the Lake of Steam.

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 18 February 2005 - 06:32 AM.

#25 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 06:33 AM

BTW I just noticed there's a country label missing - east of the mountains on the eastern side of the Shining Plains is Turmish.  Come to think of it, the mountains could do with a label as well - they're the Orsraun Mountains.

EDIT: actually there's two country labels missing :).  The other one is The Shaar, just south east of the Lake of Steam.

View Post

Thanks for the info - will add them!

While waiting for the votes I was toying around a bit with the Candlekeep BAM. This is what I came up with, what do you think? Might be worth it to give those BAMs a facelift as well...

But this will take quite a while - so please do not expect a full set of colored BAMs anytime soon :whistling:

#26 cujo

cujo
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 07:34 AM

Looks very good Yacomo. I think for now we can all do with an updated worldmap and the coloured BAM's can be added later on in a worldmap update.

#27 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:21 AM

Looks very good Yacomo.  I think for now we can all do with an updated worldmap and the coloured BAM's can be added later on in a worldmap update.

View Post

Yes, I agree--it looks great. The BAM's could wait for a while, since you're keeping the city explosions at the current scale. But that will look nice, indeed.

#28 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 08:57 AM

That Candlekeep BAM is nice. :)

Also, Berdusk and Beregost are separate places. They're both along the Sword Coast, though.

I don't know if it is intentional at this stage, or just on my screen, but there is a smear across where the BG1 and BG2 maps would want to go. Nashkel should be in the middle there. ;)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#29 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:22 AM

Well, that poll had a pretty clear result, thanks for voting!

Progress report:

- Separated exploded parts of map and map itself.
- Touched up several parts of the map, especially the BGI part to offer even a little more space between Candlekeep and Cloudpeaks. Remade the parts that were previously occupied by the exploded areas.
- Added additional labels as suggested by Nightmare. Unfortunately was not able to figure out where Selgaunt and Velen belong. So Nightmare, please tell me!
- Prepared and tested transformation, composition and filters for final map assembly.

So, basically the map is done, unless further labels or other changes are requested B)

So Horred, Sir BillyBob, can you please PM or better email me how I can pass the final file to you? It is about 40MB in size, would rather not want to pass it to you using lossy compression...

#30 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:25 AM

Preview of new map scaled down to 1/4 of it's size. The final map will be 4776 x 3600 pixels.

* Edit* updated with final map including many additional cities.

Edited by Yacomo, 20 February 2005 - 07:54 AM.

#31 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:27 AM

Preview of BGI area of final map in correct size.

#32 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:00 AM

Cloth map style, I like it :).

I figured the best way to show where the misisng cities are, would be to add them to your map. I've added more than just Selgaunt and Velen though - I've added every missing major and large city :). Of course, it's entirely up to you whether you actually want to add them all or not.

A couple of notes:

- There isn't room to fit both Myratma and Memnon on the current map, so maybe you could reduce the Calim desert a bit, then move Memnon south (adding a second river that runs more-or-less parallel to the first) and place Myratma where Memnon is now?

- Volothamp is actually where Almraiven should be. As Volothamp is only a smallish town and no mods are set there, I'd simply change the label to Almraiven and leave Volothamp off the map.

- Ithal Pass and Kzelter aren't major towns or cities, but I've included them for purely selfish reasons - namely that there'll feature in a mod I'm working on ;). They are important locations in current pnp events as well.

- Beregost, Nashkel and Trademeet aren't major towns either, but I added them for obvious reasons.

#33 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 11:33 AM

I figured the best way to show where the misisng cities are, would be to add them to your map.  I've added more than just Selgaunt and Velen though - I've added every missing major and large city :).  Of course, it's entirely up to you whether you actually want to add them all or not.

View Post

Thanks A LOT Nightmare - your input is very much appreciated ;)

Looking at the amount of missing towns it seems I'm not finished yet then, well better back to work :whistling:

#34 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 03:05 PM

I don't think all Modders checkin here or even with Forgotten Wars, so you might want to post a link on other boards so they could give some in-put as well.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#35 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 04:11 PM

I don't think all Modders checkin here or even with Forgotten Wars

View Post

Shame on them! :ph34r:

#36 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 05:47 AM

The map is too late for BoneHill 1.8, I just packaged that up. Once the city issue is resolved, I would recommend you contact TheWizard about posting it somewhere hidden for Horred and me to download. I can work up a quick patch mod to apply after everyone installs all their other major mods.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#37 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 06:06 AM

I don't think all Modders checkin here or even with Forgotten Wars, so you might want to post a link on other boards so they could give some in-put as well.

View Post

Most modders I can think of certainly do. ;)

Does BP extend that far East? While nice, if it's not necessary it might be a good idea ti cut it off at some point and instead make the regions covered by the game more detailed.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#38 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:06 AM

The map is too late for BoneHill 1.8, I just packaged that up.  Once the city issue is resolved, I would recommend you contact TheWizard about posting it somewhere hidden for Horred and me to download.  I can work up a quick patch mod to apply after everyone installs all their other major mods.

View Post

That's a pity. The map is done now (please see updated post above for a preview). I also converted it back into .mos, tested it in the game and it works.
I've contacted TheWizard already and will upload the rar'ed mos as soon as I get the upload info.

I have an issue with the .mos however. It was created using DLTCEP, it works within the game and it is displayed correctly within NI. It will however not load back into DLTCEP, I don't know why this happens :wacko:

#39 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:20 AM

Does BP extend that far East? While nice, if it's not necessary it might be a good idea ti cut it off at some point and instead make the regions covered by the game more detailed.

BP doesn't, but CtB does. CBisson has three areas in Hlondeth and another area south of it. Therefore, the map has to go at least that far.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#40 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:54 PM

Great work Yacomo :).

I was thinking, it would be nice if there were a scale indicator on the map - somewhere in the big blue sea would be the obvious place.

I can provide an estimation of pixels<->miles if you desire. IIRC Athkatla to Hlondeth is around 2,500 miles, but I'll need to double check ;).

Edited by NiGHTMARE, 20 February 2005 - 12:55 PM.