should i buy it?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lord-Jyssev

Lord-Jyssev

L¤J

• 451 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:56 PM

Is icewind dale sort of like baldur's gate? what's the story? is it more one person based (baldur's gate) or party based? what are the good + bad things about it?

#2 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:17 PM

Incredibly good if you're looking for a heavily RP-based multiplayer experience.

崇高滑稽
·

#3 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:49 PM

I enjoyed it single player as well, although I probably missed out on great player to player interaction.

#4 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:17 AM

It's heavily combat-based - no romances or party interaction - because you have to create all the characters in your party. As Lightspeed says, good for multiplayer but I really enjoyed it single-player too. There are very few mods for it; Auril's Bane being about the only one that comes to mind.

If you've found a 'bargain bin' offer that has Heart Of Winter too, go for it, then download Trials of the Luremaster to complete the trilogy. I doubt you'll regret it.

Finally, there's a half-decent set of scripts here (blatant plug - I wrote them :D ).

-Y-

#5 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:47 AM

It's alright..not as good as bg2 though... or even bg. The problem is that the story line is a lot more general, rather than centering around you, and there is no true "you" character, as all 6 chars u create are given equal weight. There are also annoying ;little things, like the chars in combat taking a swing, then just standing back, looking around, until it is time for them to take their next swing...there is no sense of them being in combat...only an anim problem but still...all in all good, but not as polished as BG2. 82%

:D

#6 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:50 AM

It's alright..not as good as bg2 though... or even bg. The problem is that the story line is a lot more general, rather than centering around you, and there is no true "you" character, as all 6 chars u create are given equal weight. There are also annoying ;little things, like the chars in combat taking a swing, then just standing back, looking around, until it is time for them to take their next swing...there is no sense of them being in combat...only an anim problem but still...all in all good, but not as polished as BG2. 82%

View Post

That was me :D
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#7 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 06:17 AM

It's heavily combat-based - no romances or party interaction - because you have to create all the characters in your party. As Lightspeed says, good for multiplayer but I really enjoyed it single-player too.  There are very few mods for it; Auril's Bane being about the only one that comes to mind.

View Post

Don't forget my tweak pack. :) http://www.gibberlings3.net/daletweak/
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#8 Mefren

Mefren
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:07 AM

Hi,
I think, IwD isn't as good as bg2 but is also very interesting cRPG. I strongly recommend this game and mods which have been made for it.
You should test Druids, Monks and Barbarians (?) - they are very powerful Kits but often underrestimate IMO
I'm from Poland and I don't speak (write) English very well, so forgive me my mistakes ;)

#9 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 12:58 PM

Don't forget my tweak pack. :) http://www.gibberlings3.net/daletweak/

View Post

Oops..... :blush:

-Y-

#10 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 02:33 PM

And if you've got a few extra (insert currency here) then pick up the pack with both IWD and IWDII. It's cheaper than getting both seperately, and has bonus features.

#11 Child

Child

• 233 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:39 AM

And if you've got a few extra (insert currency here) then pick up the pack with both IWD and IWDII.  It's cheaper than getting both seperately, and has bonus features.

View Post

IWDII over IWD tho, despite IWDII's hopeless lack of ending
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

#12 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 03:30 PM

The Icewind Gate Mod by weimer comes to mind for IWDII, but it's only in beta right now (available to the public at PPG (www.pocketplane.net)) and is not looking too stable. It also appears that it will not be finished anytime soon.

Edited by discharger12, 25 February 2005 - 03:30 PM.

Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#13 Mongoose87

Mongoose87
  • 288 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 09:41 PM

Or maybe not ever finished...

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 06:16 AM

I recommend IWD series and now you can get them all in one box ( IWD, HoW, IWD 2 ) at most stores. The Icewind Dale Collection is well worth the price (which isn't too high).

#15 Child

Child

• 233 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 11:28 AM

I recommend IWD series and now you can get them all in one box ( IWD, HoW, IWD 2 )  at most stores. The Icewind Dale Collection is well worth the price (which isn't too high).

View Post

IS IWD 1 worth playing? I kept getting bored about 1/3of the way through... (around the point of killing the "strange looking kid.") Is it worth me going back to it, esp as i didnt like IWD2 that much (dam lack of ending)
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

#16 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 06:00 AM

I enjoyed IWD and HoW and TotL very much and played them through with a party of five. Although it was the item collection and character optimization which was more enjoyable than the story...

#17 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:29 AM

IWD 1 was the infinity engine game I enjoyed most from all of them. Second place would be PST.

IWD2 isn't really that good. It's okay, and more or less playable, but nothing special. It's better than ToB though.

崇高滑稽
·

#18 Adder

Adder
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 11:18 AM

I never played IWD I, but I surely enjoyed IWD II. At first I wasn't sure either because I missed the party interactions but considering that it's extremely linear it has a lot of atmosphere.

Some NPCs even react on what race or class your characters have. Granted, this is only about a few different dialogue-lines and it decreases strongly in the last chapters but it is one of the reasons that made me replay it.
"Face it, if crime didn't pay, there would be very few criminals"
-Laughton Lewis Burdock-

#19 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:06 PM

IWD does that too, actually. And another bonus of IWD is that it's got absolutely awesome music.

崇高滑稽
·

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 04:29 PM

Indeed. Some of the best game music imo. Jeremy Soule is a great music composer!