Problem with LETO

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 qeylIS [Kahless]

qeylIS [Kahless]
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:14 AM

After a lot of work the server itself is running very well & stable :D

BUT we have one Problem - the players cannot use the special races & classes from the PRC - no window pops up :blush:

I found the following in the "nwnx_leto" @ logs.0:

NWNX-Leto module (build 03 - FF)
© 2004 by David Frauzel (dragonsong), dragon@weathersong.net
Information and support: http://weathersong.infopop.cc

* Loading LetoScript.dll...
* LetoScript metamodule activated (635.1ms).
<278.3ms> Req:"SCRIPT", Param:"<file:open 'LETOTEST' <qq:C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN/servervault/qeylIS_Kahless/mathaeusvitreari.bic>><FirstName> <LastName><file:close 'LETOTEST'>"

Problem is, that the server is @ E:\NWN :crying:

Is there a solution or can someone explain me the mistake I made? :online2long:

#2 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

After a lot of work the server itself is running very well & stable  :D

BUT we have one Problem - the players cannot use the special races & classes from the PRC - no window pops up :blush:

I found the following in the "nwnx_leto" @ logs.0:

NWNX-Leto module (build 03 - FF)
© 2004 by David Frauzel (dragonsong), dragon@weathersong.net
Information and support: http://weathersong.infopop.cc

* Loading LetoScript.dll...
* LetoScript metamodule activated (635.1ms).
<278.3ms> Req:"SCRIPT", Param:"<file:open 'LETOTEST' <qq:C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN/servervault/qeylIS_Kahless/mathaeusvitreari.bic>><FirstName> <LastName><file:close 'LETOTEST'>"

Problem is, that the server is @ E:\NWN :crying:

Is there a solution or can someone explain me the mistake I made? :online2long:

View Post

Go into the script inc_letoscript.nss, and make the necessary adjustments at the very top (you'll see where). You'll be fine then. ;)

#3 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:30 AM

A player just brough this to my attention too. I've been so worried about getting things to not cause any major errors that I forgot to check the LETO in-game ability.

Edited by Tiggerlicker, 07 March 2005 - 11:31 AM.

#4 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

A player just brough this to my attention too.  I've been so worried about getting things to not cause any major errors that I forgot to check the LETO in-game ability.

View Post

*Points to the post above this* :P

#5 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:05 PM

Changed...now to see how it works :D

#include "inc_debug"
//constants defining directories
//must be changed to each install
const string NWN_DIR = "C:/NWNserver/";
const string MOD_DIR = "modules/Nordock-CEP-PRC-Plagued";
const string DB_NAME = "NWN";
const string DB_GATEWAY_VAR = "NWNXLeto";
const string WP_LIMBO = "";

#6 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:24 PM

Changed...now to see how it works :D

#include "inc_debug"
//constants defining directories
//must be changed to each install
const string NWN_DIR = "C:/NWNserver/";
const string MOD_DIR = "modules/Nordock-CEP-PRC-Plagued";
const string DB_NAME = "NWN";
const string DB_GATEWAY_VAR = "NWNXLeto";
const string WP_LIMBO = "";

View Post

I added a small note about this in the version 6 install section, to help alleviate future frustrations. Thanx for the heads up guys, it had skipped my mind.

#7 GrapeApe

GrapeApe
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:44 PM

Do you have the source, or know where I can get the source code for LetoScript?

#8 qeylIS [Kahless]

qeylIS [Kahless]
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:29 PM

Go into the script inc_letoscript.nss, and make the necessary adjustments at the very top (you'll see where). You'll be fine then. ;)

View Post

Sorry - no solution for us :online2long:

I edited, compiled and saved the script as well as the mod - but the same error / problem. :ph34r:

But maybe it is my mistake - Damnit Jim I am an admin not a scriptor :P

#9 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

No solution here either :crying: Still wants to point to:

<66.10ms> Req:"SCRIPT", Param:"<file:open 'LETOTEST' <qq:C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN/servervault/Tigger/lomithwenfalle.bic>><FirstName> <LastName><file:close 'LETOTEST'>"

#10 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 05:37 PM

No solution here either :crying:  Still wants to point to:

<66.10ms> Req:"SCRIPT", Param:"<file:open 'LETOTEST' <qq:C:/NeverwinterNights/NWN/servervault/Tigger/lomithwenfalle.bic>><FirstName> <LastName><file:close 'LETOTEST'>"

View Post

It's an include-style script. That means it doesn't "compile.". You saw the message, right? "Error. 'inc_letoscript' did not compile. ERROR: NO FUNCTION STARTING CONDITIONAL() IN SCRIPT" ---Did you try "Build Module"? Advanced setting, with 'compile' and 'script' boxes only checked? If you didn't, the old script is still being read. Why, because it didn't compile, despite the fact you hit a button that said "Save and Compile". Blame Bioware; the toolset is funny that way. I've observed this phenomenon 101 times, at least.

If you already did this, I have absolutely no clue. I didn't write this stuff, I just imported it. Check with Primogenitor, the author of PRC ConvoCC, or with whomever it was that wrote Leto. Though Primo is the one to ask; Leto never intended their proggie to be used like this.

Next question (call me picky, if you must...): is there a specifically "good" reason why you didn't use the default installation folder for installing NWN? Besides, "it looked cooler that way"? Yes, I said a good reason.

#11 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 07:01 PM

I've built the module a few times since I changed the line. I save after every major change and do a full build. Some errors but nothing that throws up any red flags...there are almost always some useless compile errors when building a module. Nothing related to the LETO stuff though...

As for the reason to not use a default install folder of C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN...the dedicated server doesn't "install"...just extract it from a ZIP file (right-click on the ZIP, WinZIP, Extract to NWNDedicatedServer1.65...rename to NWNServer to keep things simple. It doesn't put in any registry entries like the full NWN does...hence why the PRC and other self-installers don't work reliably with dedicated servers and one must find ways around the installers (manually placing files) and adapt to get things done. I've run a NWN server using the various versions of the standalone dedicated server software for years and never had problems before. I don't see any point in installing the whole of NWN+SoU+HotU on a unit that won't be actually playing...hence me using the server version which is designed exactly for this.

My NWN servers have always gone in C:\NWNServer
My Battlefield 1942 servers have always gone in C:\BF1942Server
My Battlefield Vietnam has always gone into C:\BFVServer
My Unreal Tournament servers have always gone into C:\UTServer
My Call of Duty servers have gone into C:\CODServer

You can see a pattern from there. I don't do anything just because it "looked cooler that way"...from servers to things in real life...I go for what is simple and works. Getting fancy only makes things harder to get to work and debug.

I didn't even want to confuse anyone with a setup of MySQL on a different server. But for this module I had to...the system I planned on running the v5 on choked on it (a P4/2.5, 512MB ram, 80GB RAID1 array, Win2k server)...but when I moved the MySQL off to a smaller server and linked everything up speed picked up and things started working better. This is more complicated and therefore more possible parts to break.

Edited by Tiggerlicker, 07 March 2005 - 07:03 PM.

#12 qeylIS [Kahless]

qeylIS [Kahless]
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:05 AM

It's an include-style script. That means it doesn't "compile.". You saw the message, right? "Error. 'inc_letoscript' did not compile. ERROR: NO FUNCTION STARTING CONDITIONAL() IN SCRIPT" ---Did you try "Build Module"? Advanced setting, with 'compile' and 'script' boxes only checked? If you didn't, the old script is still being read. Why, because it didn't compile, despite the fact you hit a button that said "Save and Compile". Blame Bioware; the toolset is funny that way. I've observed this phenomenon 101 times, at least.

View Post

But maybe it is my mistake - Damnit Jim I am an admin not a scriptor :P

View Post

It WAS my mistake! :blink:

Thanx for the help Horred (would like to build an altar for you :hug: ) - our player can now chose the new races & classes, the window pops up!

#13 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 02:30 AM

So, if Im reading this right, Tiggerlicker tried the suggested 'edit & rebuild' and it didnt work, but qeylIS [Kahless] tried it, and it did?

Confooosed..... :blink:

./Dingo

#14 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:41 AM

With the last build I did it only went further downhill...the module loads then locks up the system...have to end task on the NWServer process. Time to take a break and redo the unit I'm using the toolset and doing the builds on...

#15 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 05:47 AM

With the last build I did it only went further downhill...the module loads then locks up the system...have to end task on the NWServer process.  Time to take a break and redo the unit I'm using the toolset and doing the builds on...

View Post

I *thought* I had a similar problem, did you wait long enough for the mod to load and initialize? On my system - a dual xeon 2.8ghz machine w/1gb ram - it took at least 5 mins for the server software to stop showing up as 'non reponsive' and for the server to show up as "alive" in my client trying to connect to it....

#16 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 06:35 AM

I figure that 30 minutes was long enough...I'm used to running large modules that take anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes to load up so I make sure to give plenty of time for the system to do what it needs to before I start to worry...

Edited by Tiggerlicker, 08 March 2005 - 06:36 AM.

#17 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

[/quote]

If you already did this, I have absolutely no clue. I didn't write this stuff, I just imported it. Check with Primogenitor, the author of PRC ConvoCC, or with whomever it was that wrote Leto. Though Primo is the one to ask; Leto never intended their proggie to be used like this.

Next question (call me picky, if you must...): is there a specifically "good" reason why you didn't use the default installation folder for installing NWN? Besides, "it looked cooler that way"? Yes, I said a good reason.
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

Horred

Am I to understand that the problem I (and others it seems) are seeing w/Leto is we installed into a non-default NWN install folder (in my case, C:\NWServer)???

I am not married to that folder structure, I was just trying avoid conflicts with stuff in the C:\Neverwinter Nights\NWN folder that already exists on that machine.

SO, If I undo what I did yesterday and start from scratch, this time pointing to my C:\Neverwinter Nights\NWN folder to install all the mod specific stuff, one might assume that the whole LETO issue might be corrected (?).

But, will that "break" my ability to play the game (on another multiplayer server I frequent) OR screw anything up with me running the standard server app that comes w/the game to host my admittedly inferior little mod (until I get YOURS up and working)?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. Just trying to save myself some head banging time. Thanks again for putting this all together. Cant wait to throw my players in...

./Dingo

#18 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:20 AM

Don't see how anything will break. I play on other people's servers WHILE RUNNING mine. If you configure NWN-FF.ini properly, you can even run 2 servers at the same time!

I use NWServer.exe (the one that comes in the NWN/utils folder). I moved it from there to my ..../NWN folder. Everything I use for this mod is in the C:/Never..../NWN folder. I thought that was 'keeping things simple'.

Am I to understand all of you have your game in one place, and your server.exe in an entirely different place? This is a question, not a snide comment. I don't understand why you would do that, that's all.

#19 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 12:12 PM

Don't see how anything will break. I play on other people's servers WHILE RUNNING mine. If you configure NWN-FF.ini properly, you can even run 2 servers at the same time!

I use NWServer.exe (the one that comes in the NWN/utils folder). I moved it from there to my ..../NWN folder. Everything I use for this mod is in the C:/Never..../NWN folder. I thought that was 'keeping things simple'.

Am I to understand all of you have your game in one place, and your server.exe in an entirely different place? This is a question, not a snide comment. I don't understand why you would do that, that's all.

View Post

I certainly do. I have the regular install of the game, expansion packs, etc at C:\Neverwinter Nights\Nwn.

Following Tiggerlicker's guide at http://arcanummagika.us/NWN/start.html I installed all the specific stuff relative to this mod at C:\NWserver using the standalone server app.

I did this because I didnt know (1) if dumping it all in my default nwn install would overwrite anything and (2) if I messed something up, I could just uninstall stuff out of the C:\NWserver directory and start over without affecting my default game install.

I think the other two people who were talking about this also did that, though I cant be 100% sure.

Edited by dingosatemybaby, 08 March 2005 - 12:13 PM.

#20 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 01:00 PM

I don't understand why you would do that, that's all.

A dedicated server is much better when hosting a MP game. The server handles only what it has to and doesn't have to mess with rendering graphics, sounds, etc that takes up unnecessary resources. Sure one can run a MP game on the same PC as they are playing but if you get more than a handful of people online it can show lag as the host's PC renders the game client. Even when I run a LAN game (say at work when we have a UT2003 deathmatch game) I use a unit set aside for just being a server. Also a dedicated server is easier to keep a high uptime on versus a player's PC that is hosting the game which will more likely than not be used for more than just playing a single game.

My guide was written for a dedicated server. The dedicated server does not have to go in any specific location. I do not play NWN on the server...I have my normal PC for running the NWN game (there it resides in the C:\neverwinternights\nwn folder). I'll most likely be changing the guide to reflect how to make it easier on the server admin by changing the NWNServer path to the default neverwinternights\nwn path.