TC Idea

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 04:55 AM

I have never had a problem with someone else adding content to one of my mods. I am working (limited right now since I am working on this project) with a BG1NPC member to get better dialogs going about the Staff of the Blue Dragon and why someone is trying to take it from you.

If anyone wants to add comments from their NPC into the BoneHill game or even into DSotSC/NTotSC that is fine by me. I would just need to know about it so I don't break their work if I change anything in the basic mod. If you have read my readme for BoneHill, you will see that I have asked for translation volunteers. Tutu is in languages besides English right? Otherwise, there isn't any point.

Yes, I want banters and the like in the game. I also want people to add their own NPCs into the mod once I get the basic starter mod out the door. I give you a chance to add an NPC into the game right from the beginning since you have to form a party to go on this quest.

Right now, I force you to take on one NPC (female halfling thief) but you can dump her anywhere and solo if you really want. I will have two other NPCs immediately available to you to join up. There is another in the dungeon that you go into. I think people will see where good dialogs would be helpful as well as additional NPCs once they get a chance to play this. I don't want it to be labeled as just a dungeon crawl if I can avoid it.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#22 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:10 PM

However, without a world to put it on, I do have some problems.  Hlid is already building his Greyhawk world and I am thinking that is the easy answer.  However, I kind of want complete control over this whole series of mods so joining with anyone may be a conflict now or later.

View Post

One of the aims of my Greyhawk project is exactly this. I WANT people to build mods for it, as they want them built. It'll be the end user that determines what exact content their games will have. Basically, I want the world completed, as well as the various systems for it. Every major city/town/whatever will have a pre-determined worldmap link and icon. That way if someone builds a mod that adds the City of Greyhawk (C'mon, somebody wants to!) they use the area name that I've assigned. So somebody can add their mod and not have to start a new game. If someone else comes out with another City of Greyhawk mod (maybe just a stopover from another mod) they will conflict each other, (can you say "Greyhawk Big Picture Mod"?) but so long as the end user hasn't played the previous mod, their savegame is still good!
I'd love to see people create an NPC with/without quests or romances to add wherever they like. Hell, many existing mods could be converted without too many changes to the new world system. It's up to the modders and what they want.
The idea behind it all is to create a 1st level character/party, and play them up just as you would in PnP. My TC will have a random treasure and encounter system based on the tables provided in my old 1st edition books, garnished with whatever I think is cool from 2nd edition. ;) I've already got quite a bit of this done, and to be honest it'd be out already except for my computer troubles which have been driving me nuts on several levels. I'll be releasing it with some random encouter areas just stolen from existing games (One because I find area construction artisitically challenging, and also to just get this out the door.) for forests and towns, and anyone can mod changes to these areas or replace them entirely at any point without complaints from me. That's kinda the whole point. :D
The one thing a little different will be the starting area. Right now it's a "blank" area where several TC-specific scritps run. Currently I have a "portal" on this area to take the party to the starting area of the Egg of the Phoenix mod, and the chapter text, etc... from there is mod specific. Since the mod is for characters 5th-8th level this isn't exactly where I want to start, but I really enjoy the mod and wanted to provide something that players who don't enjoy low level party challenges (You KNOW who you are.) had something off the bat to enjoy. I'll be taking input on this initial setup when the EotP portion is complete. If everything else gets done quick, I may just release the TC with only the first chapter of the mod done. (Since it's a mega-mod comprising of 4 mods, R1 to R4, I might just release it with R1 or even R2 done just to get the ball rolling.) Anyways, I just thought someone might want to know what I was up to on this.

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#23 J Beau

J Beau
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 12:20 PM

Awesome!
Tempus fugit - memento mori
Time flies - remember death

#24 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 01:36 PM

Hmm. Methinks you need a forum for this Hlid. I might be able to help with writing for NPCs for this. If you would like a hand.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#25 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:04 PM

Hmm. Methinks you need a forum for this Hlid. I might be able to help with writing for NPCs for this. If you would like a hand.

View Post

I'm not setting up a forum until I'm released. I HATE "is it done yet?" questions that invariablely happen. I have a clear idea of WHAT I want to do, so I'm not really looking for any input atm. However, once out there all questions/request/etc... will be duly addressed. ;)

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.