• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 04:42 AM

If I'd released any software with this many bugs in, I'd expect to go to the dogs. Sorry BI, Interplay - just at the moment I couldn't give a toss that you've gone down big time.

Can anyone help with this:-

I thought I'd gotten it pinned down to using Recitation and Chant together as a buff. Using one or the other reduced the number of crashes but I'm still saving every minute or so and crashing around every three minutes. Yes, I am patched and no, I have no mods installed.

[attachment=2140:attachment]

-Y-

#2 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 05:24 AM

Never had this problem before.

崇高滑稽
·

#3 Rathwellin the Bard

Rathwellin the Bard

Bloody engine of destruction ... oh, wait. That was my Sorcerer

• 722 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 03:21 PM

I've never seen that one either ... but then I've only been playing IWD2 for about 3-4 weeks now.

#4 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 05:47 AM

As far as I know (which is admittedly, not very far), there is no bug like this. Are you sure its not being caused by software clashes or something of that nature? Too little virtual memory maybe? What's the error message? Because tbh that doesn't sound like a game-related crash, if it dies that often....
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#5 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 06:33 AM

The error message is straight from IWD2 and it's telling me that it's failing to calculate the armour class correctly during combat on one or more characters. 'CDerivedStats.cpp' is a Microsoft Visual C++ source code file; it has to be the one doing the armour class calculation. For an error message it's remarkably helpful; it gives the problem, where it occurs and who to contact ('rjf') but it's sodding useless when neither Interplay or Black Isle exist anymore!!

For now I've reinstalled and started again; we'll see if it re-occurs.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 15 March 2005 - 06:34 AM.

#6 raptor

raptor
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 07:13 AM

I doubt the problem is with chant + recitication, i have used those two in pretty much every combat in aprox 2 times through the game. I would rather try to swap other items that might give armor bonuses, might be that some of them cause this ?

#7 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:05 AM

I'm almost back where I was when the game really started giving me grief (the Goblin Warrens). I think we may end up writing this problem off as a corrupted file during installation. Oh well.

-Y-

#8 Erephine

Erephine

leit að lífi

• 1912 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:54 AM

Looks like it.

崇高滑稽
·

#9 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 07:50 AM

Good-old complete re-install always helps. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#10 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:54 AM

Good-old complete re-install always helps. ;)

View Post

Only when you've got a good savegame to fall back on.... :D

I'm out of the Goblin Warrens with no trouble this time.

-Y-

#11 Sir guestalot

Sir guestalot
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:11 AM

Just keep the saved games in some other folder 0_o

#12 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:38 AM

It re-occurred in the Western Pass, but this time I nailed the b*st*rd. I was fortunate enough to save the game just before a crash, so it gave me something to work with. It turned out to be a faulty party .cre file; I guess it must have happened during character creation.

I noted all of the character's stats and feats, unloaded all of that character's goods onto the rest of the party and then removed the character from the game. I re-created the character and used DaleKeeper 2 to change the XP to what the original .cre had. Finally, I added back all the feats and skills during the level-up procedure and so far, no more trouble <fingers crossed>.

-Y-

#13 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 01:05 AM

Another update for anyone who's still reading :devil:

For some reason best known to itself, my IWD2 causes that damn crash message for ANY single-class cleric. :angry: I have to assume that somewhere I have a corrupted file on CD and no, I can't take it back - I bought it in WalMart eighteen months ago and now I'm home. I haven't tried a dual-class yet as my party isn't high-enough to make it worthwhile, but it will be "interesting" to see what happens.

-Y-