Version 7: Problems

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 08:33 AM

Hi Horred,

Great work with the Park in v7, and also the addition of the player houses.

I have a couple of problems.

1. When I log back in again after playing, my character doesn't log in at the same position i logged out, sometimes It can even be another room entirely.

2. I have just purchased a small player house, and bought myself a chest (which works brilliantly), but after purchasing these, everytime I try to test in Benzor Flats (and any other area) I receive a message telling me "You must purchase a room, and be in it, to sleep here"

udoh :)

ps. Does anyone know what Flawed minerals can be used for?

pps. Thanks for making the SQL/NWNX2 changes, that has a difference, lag is less and I don't get memory errors everytime I try start NWNX2 (I used to get those when started NWNX2, sometimes). Nice work. :)

Edited by udoh, 13 March 2005 - 08:39 AM.

#2 GrapeApe

GrapeApe
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:26 AM

Hi Horred,

Great work with the Park in v7, and also the addition of the player houses.

I have a couple of problems.

1. When I log back in again after playing, my character doesn't log in at the same position i logged out, sometimes It can even be another room entirely.

2. I have just purchased a small player house, and bought myself a chest (which works brilliantly), but after purchasing these, everytime I try to test in Benzor Flats (and any other area) I receive a message telling me "You must purchase a room, and be in it, to sleep here"

ps. Does anyone know what Flawed minerals can be used for?

pps. Thanks for making the SQL/NWNX2 changes, that has a difference, lag is less and I don't get memory errors everytime I try start NWNX2 (I used to get those when started NWNX2, sometimes). Nice work. :)

View Post

1. same here.
2. haven't tried yet.

pps: can you grind em down to gem dust? those can be used for potion brewing.

#3 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:19 PM

1) This functionality was part of Fast French. I tried to recapture it as best as I could, but it wasn't perfect.

When logging out, use the PC Emote wand function :
"Save my character and exit the server."

2) Damn--I know what it is doing. I turned variables on when the house was entered, and off when it was exitted. Same variables as in an inn. Only, doesn't sound like they are turning off when exitting. Nothing quite like a buggy Bio-script. Alright, I'll have to do this a different way in version 8. Guess I'll make it so the bedrooms-only in the houses are resting zones--the rest will reset the variables for you, before leaving the house.

Edited by horred the plague, 13 March 2005 - 01:30 PM.

#4 Leutian Kane

Leutian Kane
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:22 PM

1) THis functionality was part of Fast French. I tried to recapture it as best as I could, but it wasn't perfect.

When logging out, use the PC Emoye wand function :
"Save my character and exit the server."

2) Damn--I know what it is doing. Iturned variables on when the house was entered, and off when it was exitted. Only' doesn't sound like they are turning off when exitting. Nothing quite like a buggy Bio-script. Alright, I'll have to do this a different way in version 8.

View Post

*chuckles* just using nwnx2 now eh... gee maybe i did know what i was talking about after all ... anyhow keep up the good work horred. looks like you have a good thing going here.

#5 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 01:38 PM

*chuckles* just using nwnx2 now eh... gee maybe i did know what i was talking about after all ... anyhow keep up the good work horred. looks like you have a good thing going here.

View Post

Don't you have your own forum, and mod, somewhere?

#6 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:07 PM

1. Ahhh. Can you point me in the direction of the scripts you used to "recapture" the FF system. I wouldn't mind a look there. :)

Well... bedtime for me :)

udoh

#7 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 02:19 PM

1. Ahhh. Can you point me in the direction of the scripts you used to "recapture" the FF system. I wouldn't mind a look there. :)

Well... bedtime for me :)

udoh

View Post

Okay, a quick fix for tha_exit (should stop the funky rest syndrome):

void main()
{
object oPC = GetExitingObject();
object oOwner = GetLocalObject(OBJECT_SELF,"Owner");

if (GetIsPC(oPC))
{
SetLocalInt(oPC, "ROOMTYPE", 0);
SetLocalInt(oPC,"NOTINROOM",FALSE);
SetLocalInt(oPC, "HCINN", FALSE);
SetLocalInt(oPC, "RESTONCE", FALSE);
SetLocalInt(oPC, "RESTED", FALSE);
}

int IsPC = GetLocalInt(oPC,"IsAPC");
int pop = GetLocalInt(OBJECT_SELF,"PCPop");

if(IsPC)
{
pop = pop-1;

if((pop <= 0))
pop = 0;

SetLocalInt(OBJECT_SELF,"PCPop",pop);

if(pop <= 0)
DeleteLocalObject(OBJECT_SELF,"Owner");

if((oOwner == oPC) || (oOwner == OBJECT_INVALID))
DeleteLocalInt(OBJECT_SELF,"Open");
}

return;
}

That is the script, in its entirety. Copy and paste, to overwrite.

If you don't feel that ambitious, try entering an inn after leaving your house.

For a brief look at the persistence coding, look in my ff_onenterarea.nss. This isn't French's script anymore--it was already entered into the area properties of 90% of the in-mod areas, so I used the same name rather than re-editting all of these areas. I do a similar thing on resting, on dying, and on exitting the server. Also, when you choose either "save my progress" function from the PC Emote wand.

P.P.S: Flawed minerals are used in bags (bags of acid, fire, etc) I believe. Either that, or directly in traps (can't recall exactly).

Edited by horred the plague, 13 March 2005 - 02:21 PM.

#8 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 09:40 PM

I've seen even more issues with version 7. Taking out Fast French was the cause of most of it. I'm currently working on version 8, which will use some of the FF scripts, just not the dll's or executions. Hopefully I can get a balance between the two, which will provide the best of both worlds. As soon as I do, expect a release.

Sorry for any hassles, but that's the breaks as I know 'em. SNAFU.....

#9 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:52 AM

I've seen even more issues with version 7. Taking out Fast French was the cause of most of it. I'm currently working on version 8, which will use some of the FF scripts, just not the dll's or executions. Hopefully I can get a balance between the two, which will provide the best of both worlds. As soon as I do, expect a release.

View Post

Not a problem, it's fun testing your MOD :)

A balance between the 2 would be great.

1. I notice lag occurs when trying to display a recipe, and if 2 people are doing this at the same time, then.. .it's slow.. hehehe... is there any way to "cache" the recipes something like that?

2. It seems like the longer the server is runnig the laggier it gets, is this something to do with the "persistance" , in that unpicked corpses still stay and spawns not killed also stay?

3. Have you recently changed the drops, because it seems since v6 (running v7.1 at the moment) there are very few items or gold in the drops.

Well, yesterday, we had a really good play, getting the hang of the crafting system we are, which is excellent. Having a really great time.

ps. Can you place an enchanting alter in Benzor Workshop top floor. Please :)

Edited by udoh, 15 March 2005 - 05:17 AM.

#10 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:15 AM

View Post

Not a problem, it's fun testing your MOD :)

A balance between the 2 would be great.

1. I notice lag occurs when trying to display a recipe, and if 2 people are doing this at the same time, then.. .it's slow.. hehehe... is there any way to "cache" the recipes something like that?

2. It seems like the longer the server is runnig the laggier it gets, is this something to do with the "persistance" , in that unpicked corpses still stay and spawns not killed also stay?

3. Have you recently changed the drops, because it seems since v6 (running v7.1 at the moment) there are very few items or gold in the drops.

Well, yesterday, we had a really good play, getting the hang of the crafting system we are, which is excellent. Having a really great time.

ps. Can you place an enchanting alter in Benzor Workshop top floor. Please :)

View Post

The only thing that can be done to speed up the recipes is make more crafting devices, and split up existing ones (e.g., Carpenter's Bench becames fletcher's station, shield station, sawhorse, and carp's bench).

Are you guys leaving a lot of crap laying on the ground? This contributes to lag. This is a common issue on many servers, not just here--lag increases as time goes on.

No change in treasure system, your luck is getting worse, hehe. When you reach 11th or 12th level, you really start getting good drops. At least my pc did then. Keep crafting. You'll never have to worry about pocket coin again. ;)

#11 Tiggerlicker

Tiggerlicker
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:47 AM

Are you guys leaving a lot of crap laying on the ground? This contributes to lag. This is a common issue on many servers, not just here--lag increases as time goes on.

View Post

One thing that might be worth adding to the module is a player trashbox.

Snassek made one that I've used in modules before...easy to add in and if set to give gold (in theory a scripter could give XP with minor changes) makes the players think more about collecting "junk" to trash since they get something in return. I've had a few player make a "job" of wandering around cleaning up after battles :D It also helps keep low-cost items out of merchant stores.

http://nwvault.ign.c...861718000.shtml

Less junk = less lag

The only real exploits that I've seen when using it is a player who takes a bundle of arrows (normally bought for 1gp and sold back to a merchant for 0gp) and splits the bundle up in the trashbox. When the trashbox is used normally the bundle would be destroyed and 1gp granted. Splitting up the bundle into 99 individual arrows would give 99gp. This exploit can be done with any bundled item.

===edit===
One more exploit that I've seen using the trashbox...players will use it as extra storage since the objects aren't destroyed until the box is placed on the ground.

Edited by Tiggerlicker, 15 March 2005 - 12:00 PM.

#12 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

View Post

One thing that might be worth adding to the module is a player trashbox.

Snassek made one that I've used in modules before...easy to add in and if set to give gold (in theory a scripter could give XP with minor changes) makes the players think more about collecting "junk" to trash since they get something in return. I've had a few player make a "job" of wandering around cleaning up after battles :D It also helps keep low-cost items out of merchant stores.

http://nwvault.ign.c...861718000.shtml

Less junk = less lag

The only real exploits that I've seen when using it is a player who takes a bundle of arrows (normally bought for 1gp and sold back to a merchant for 0gp) and splits the bundle up in the trashbox. When the trashbox is used normally the bundle would be destroyed and 1gp granted. Splitting up the bundle into 99 individual arrows would give 99gp. This exploit can be done with any bundled item.

===edit===
One more exploit that I've seen using the trashbox...players will use it as extra storage since the objects aren't destroyed until the box is placed on the ground.

View Post

I'm familair with the system, and set it up for my buddy's mod--it's just that an update instances for this mod takes about 5-6 hours' time. It would take about the same amount of time to manually hunt down all the cans I already have and edit them. That is the only reason I haven't done this yet. I usually set it to 2-5gp per item, so it really is an incentive.

The other, more harsh method I've seen is the scrapper--one guy that buys items, and then destroys them on store closing. None of the other merchants buy items except him. This is really the better method for lag reduction, but a bit drastic IMO.

EDIT: The big problem I'm having now, that is holding up version 8, is the SoulFrag. I'm sure somebody besides GrapeApe and I nopticed it isn't working now. Note that I hadn't changed a single line of the scripts responsible for this prior, so I'm pretty stumped. I even added some silly messages in at key points of the script--these areen't firing. It's as if the persistent variables aren't being read. My next step is to put Fast French's .dll's back in, and try from there. I've been stuck on this for 2 days, i've tried a half-dozen different methods, and I'm getting a big goose egg. Fast French might end up being a requirement after all, sorry gang. I was just trying to make this simpler on people to install. Simpler installation is NOT worth a broken mod--I'm sure you all agree. One more try without it, and then it goes back in. If it STILL doesn't work after that, I'm really clueless on the cause. I've rebuilt the hakpak a couple times, changed the XP calculations to a seperate script (removed it from the hak)--resisting the temptation to throw this PC out the %#$%$#-ing window! I would, but that wouldn't fix it either I'm afraid... :rolleyes:

Edited by horred the plague, 15 March 2005 - 01:06 PM.

#13 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 01:24 PM

Well i've just got back from a long gaming session, and boy are we having great fun.

1. I have sorted out the lag issues for me, I ran the server from another PC and the majority of the lag disapeared.

2. I Died earlier (met some toughies that we just couldn't kill) and I did notice something strange with the soul fragment. Is there anywhere i can look that may help?

3. I'm sure there is something funny with the loot, i'm level 12 now and well.. still next to nothing on the bodies, maybe this is releated to NWN-FF too somehow?

4. I think the trash can is a brilliant idea (or the merchant).

5. Question: What is the point in collecting money, when the best items are in the crafting system? (Don't take offense, it was just a question I was asked)

NWN-FF is MUCH better than Broken. :)

Good Luck. Hope We can help in some way. :)

udoh

EDIT: ps. Trash can reminds me of the brilliant yet flawed Dungeon Siege and the "turn to gold spell", any item could "instantly be turned into it's gold equivalent" instead of being picked up and sold and I still needed a mule to carry all my crap. :)

Edited by udoh, 15 March 2005 - 01:43 PM.

#14 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 04:02 PM

NWN-FF is MUCH better than Broken. :)

View Post

Well, fear not--I've managed to get the best of both worlds working! :D

By replacing aps_include (the script that handles persistence and the SQL database), by putting back in the version from Fast French--I've managed to get the soul fragment working again. This mod will NOT require the actual FF package (all his dll's, etc). His internal scripting, combined with the latest NWNX2 (that I used in version 7) will do the trick. So, no outward changes for you admins--keep the version 7 lineup of proggies. All the changes were handled on my end (inside the mod itself).

The only other new thing I've added was changing the Nymph's spcial death attack from "Aura of Unearthly Visage" down to "Death Touch"--this comes closer to repesenting her Kiss of Death anyways. Hopefully ther penalties/DC aren't as harsh--I haven't encountered one in-game yet to know for sure.

Also being fixed is the Trondor quest, hopefully--it still had some problems in Version 7.

And, in addition--I altered the trash can script itself, so that it will give 2 GP per item thrown out. This way, I won't have to do a complete build to change things. (Those 5-6 hour waits really suck!) So, pitch in, and earn a pile of coin. Throw out those extra cnr items, and get an extra coin for the effort. Get rich and help fight lag at the same time... ;)

I'll upload version 8 in a little while, after I playtest a little more. If anyone wants to help out, PlagueZone server will be up and running in a half-hour or so.

Cheers!

Edited by horred the plague, 15 March 2005 - 04:22 PM.

#15 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

Excellent Work Horred.

I tried to log onto to your server, and help test, but it wasn't around (not really supprising when you consider the time).

I look forward to version 8.

udoh

:)

#16 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:05 AM

Excellent Work Horred.

I tried to log onto to your server, and help test, but it wasn't around (not really supprising when you consider the time).

I look forward to version 8.

udoh

:)

View Post

Yeah, i tested for an hour, then skipped out and played on my buddy's server (The Forbidden1, Alavar Campaign). It's where I go to get away from this monstrosity. ;)

#17 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:11 AM

Yeah, i tested for an hour, then skipped out and played on my buddy's server (The Forbidden1, Alavar Campaign). It's where I go to get away from this monstrosity. ;)

View Post

good plan, get away sometimes.. hehehehe....

I'm sure there's something funny going on with the drops, i've tried resetting the server, multiple times and the drops are still virtually none.

Will you be uploading v8 to the vault today?

ps. I did install that erf for version 7 with all those scripts in it, could that have changed anything?

#18 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:22 AM

View Post

good plan, get away sometimes.. hehehehe....

I'm sure there's something funny going on with the drops, i've tried resetting the server, multiple times and the drops are still virtually none.

Will you be uploading v8 to the vault today?

ps. I did install that erf for version 7 with all those scripts in it, could that have changed anything?

View Post

Version 8 would have been uploaded tonight, but for the multitude of issues reported on the Bug Tracker, that I had to address. A couple of them were actually legitimate. :P

It's finished, but I'm getting some shuteye very soon. When I wake up, I'll upload.

There is nothing wrong with the loot drops--it's all in your head, homey. I was getting 1 out of 3 with treasure--about 1 out of 10 with magical treasure. Get out of the flats, and stop fighting goblins. Even if it is a pretty board. :P

#19 qeylIS [Kahless]

qeylIS [Kahless]
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 02:07 AM

Version 8 would have been uploaded tonight, but for the multitude of issues reported on the Bug Tracker, that I had to address. A couple of them were actually legitimate.  :P 

It's finished, but I'm getting some shuteye very soon. When I wake up, I'll upload.

There is nothing wrong with the loot drops--it's all in your head, homey. I was getting 1 out of 3 with treasure--about 1 out of 10 with magical treasure. Get out of the flats, and stop fighting goblins.  Even if it is a pretty board. :P

View Post

Did you have a look @ the DB-Builder-Mod too?

Seems, that I am not the only one who have probs to build the DBs with it ...

The DBBM was a very great help @ V5 & V6 - but since V7 we are not able to use it, cause of booting the players immediately afer CharGen @ NWN Engine with no Option to return (booting immediately after log in). As stated elswhere, cause of low performance of the Server PC we cannot use the RealMod to create the DBs.

Maybe the Export / Import via MySQL brings a solution :online2long:

PS: I edited the path for Leto @ inc_letoscript.nss - worked perfectly @ V5+6 :online2long:

#20 udoh

udoh
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 03:52 AM

There is nothing wrong with the loot drops--it's all in your head, homey. I was getting 1 out of 3 with treasure--about 1 out of 10 with magical treasure. Get out of the flats, and stop fighting goblins.  Even if it is a pretty board. :P

View Post

Well we started 2 new level 1 characters and sent them packing down to the sewers to get a couple of levels. And well, All the drops from the Rats, Fire Bettles and Skeletons, only the standard drop items, and nothing else.

Now I know we haven't left Benzor very much, but I like it. It looks great... :-P

What can I do to test this further, scripts etc.

Cheers