Photo

Cave Crash in Tri-Top

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 March 2005 - 11:19 PM

I am in the Tri-Top map (Area BH1300) and the game crashes everytime I try to enter the cave located at:

Mouse Position: 767,2461
Tile Position: 11,38
Search Square: 47,205

Am I missing the ARE file for the cave, I wonder?

I am using SoBH for Tutu v1.9.

Edited by TheWizard, 19 March 2005 - 11:20 PM.

Original Characters and Creatures - http://www.iegmc.org/dnd

#2 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 04:45 AM

You have the ARE, but it is pointing to the wrong WED (one from BGT actually).

Here are the corrected ARE files for those two caves. The other cave has an ambient that isn't in the game (again, must be from BGT).

I also discovered that the cabin on Bald Hill has this problem too. So it is here as well.

Attached Files

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#3 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:43 PM

Here are the corrected ARE files for those two caves.  The other cave has an ambient that isn't in the game (again, must be from BGT).

I also discovered that the cabin on Bald Hill has this problem too.  So it is here as well.

View Post

In the words of Paul Vitti (Robert DeNiro's character in Analyze This), "You...you're good!"

I inserted the attached files and everything working beautifully. Thank you, you old and wise half-elf. ;)

#4 Detritus

Detritus
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:08 AM

Whoops, wrong topic

Edited by Detritus, 26 March 2005 - 03:19 AM.

#5 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 11:02 PM

Doh! I found another cave that doesn't work for me. :( The cave on the map South of Garrotten (Area BH2300).

Mouse Position: 3366,2708
Tile Position: 52,42
Search Square: 210,225

Again, this is for SoBH for Tutu v1.9.

I also get an assertion failure when trying the explore the center of this map (north of the cave, along the stream).

An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 1246
Programmer says: ChDimm.cpp CDimm:Demand(): CRes pointer invalid (Check Baldur.log for missing resource)

Unfortunately, my Baldur.log file is empty. :huh:

Edited by TheWizard, 31 March 2005 - 11:03 PM.

#6 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:22 PM

Ambients. Damn ambients. :angry:

Okay, the cave crashes because an ARE in the override can't find an ambient file stored in a BIF. No one seems to know exactly why because it doesn't effect every area nor every ambient. To make it even stranger, there are 5 ambients that do work. Go figure.

I can't post the files here because they are larger than the 512KB limit I seem to have for this folder (even when compressed). To fix it yourself, you can open NI, expand the WAV folder, select AM6003.WAV and export to your override folder. Done. The other file is GABUBL01.WAV which is much smaller but I think the issue is really the AM file since that is the main ambient for the whole area.

The other area, BH2300 has a WED problem with some of the water overlays. I can't post that fix because the TIS file is 23MB! I can post the WED.

So, if you know how to use DLTCEP, load the _AR5200.TIS file, set the dimensions to 80 x 60 (actually, you just set the first, it does the second) and SAVE AS BH2300.TIS. This should prompt you to overwrite the file. Done. Exit DLTCEP.

All I did was copy the working files from a BGT-BP game (1.8) to the Tutu version of the game and everything worked fine. I guess the RAR file creation corrupted the WED?? Not sure how or if even possible. Anyway, the attached RAR has a good WED file for this area but it probably won't work on the TIS file in the game since that one is originally from a BGT game. I would assume the water overlays are different between the two games.

So a easy solution to avoid crashing is to not get too close to the lake in the middle of the map. :rolleyes: Not a great solution but it works.

I have already put these files into a patch directory for the 2.0 update. Thanks for letting me know about this. I will put together a patch file and upload it. If you could place it on the mirrors in the Tutu folder, please?

Attached Files

Classic Adventures

#7 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

I'm getting the same CtD as originally posted, with these

SoBH for BGT-BP v1.8
Patch v1.9

I then read your instructions, copied the WAV & ARE files from into the override, loaded a save that was before the group entered Tri-Top - still crashes.

Then loaded Patch 1.92, old save - crashes.

Does Patch v1.92 include fixes from your post above? Anyway, copied the AREs & WAVs again - crashes.

Is the cave important? Should just skip it, or is there anyway to fix?

Edited by Azazello, 14 May 2005 - 08:47 AM.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#8 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

Thanks for the info. It's the lower cave I could not enter, so I skipped it. The main cave in the Xvart village I had no trouble with, and I got the right dialog response from the NPCs.

#9 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:46 AM

Sir BillyBob, I'm still having CtD entering a cabin in Bald Hill.
Some hours later I'll check if your attached file is the same as in my installation.
SoBH version - 1.92

---Update:

Checked the files. BH1102.are and BH1302.are are identical with the ones in my override folder. But their WED resources are FW2215.WED and FW5103.WED accordingly.
Never found these ones.
Your help will be appreciated.

Edited by ScuD, 07 June 2005 - 11:47 AM.

#10 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:55 AM

Version 1.92 is not for Tutu! I haven't patched Tutu that far yet. Any WED or ARE file referencing a FW**** area name is talking about a Tutu area name.

What exactly are you trying to run? BGT-BP or Tutu? If Tutu, uninstall 1.92. If playing BGT-BP keep 1.92.

Classic Adventures

#11 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 12:34 AM

I'm running BP-BGT. Never used Tutu ;)
Downloaded mod files are BoneHill18BGT-BP.rar and BoneHill4BGT-BPv192.rar
Also installed (in the right order) CtB, DToTSC, NToTSC, Yacomo's worldmap and 1pp.
No more refenrences to FW* except mentioned ones were found.

Edited by ScuD, 09 June 2005 - 02:47 AM.

#12 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:19 PM

Both caves are crashing for me too.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#13 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

Okay, I will have to take a look again. If you had downloaded the areas from here, that may have been part of the problem, I had posted the Tutu area fixes here and so they wouldn't have worked on your BGT version. I will build out a game and see what is happening. Hopefully, I can post the fixes here.

Edit: Fixed. My Tutu fixes made their way into the BGT set of fixes. :blush:

Attached are the file ARE files. Extract and place into your override. You may want to also place into your BoneHill/AREA folder so you don't recreate the problem later if you reinstall.

Well they would be attached. :angry: Seems this damn forum is at it again with postings.

Okay, if you know how to use NI, open BH1302.ARE and set the WED file to AR8703.WED. Set BH1102.ARE's WED location to AR7015.WED. I will see about placing these into the 1.92 fix and reposting it to TheWizard.

Edited by Sir BillyBob, 10 June 2005 - 07:06 AM.

Classic Adventures

#14 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:04 AM

Thank you for your reply!
Anyway, it worked for the cabin in Bald Hill, but not for the cave in Tri-Top.
Can you please check once more?

--Updated:
Found the problem. Please check creature names in area BH1302. They all begin from _, which is incorrect. After this fix all worked flawlessly.
If needed, I can post corrected .ARE files here.

Edited by ScuD, 11 June 2005 - 04:47 AM.

#15 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:30 AM

Ah, so that makes since if I had copied the fixes from the Tutu version, it would have the Tutu naming on the CRE files. Just use NI to strip out the _name to the correct names of the wolves, dire wolves, and bats that are in the cave. Glad I didn't get to uploading the fix yet. I will have to work on this some more.

By the way, I doubt you will be able to post the fix here. Seems many of us are having problems uploading files to this forum.

Classic Adventures

#16 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:33 AM

For those of you that haven't messed around with NI and fixed this problem yet (I don't blame you :) ), re-download the v1.92 patch. It was updated today; same filename, newer copy. Just a reminder, this is for SoBH with BP and BGT, not Tutu!

http://iegmc.mirror....4BGT-BPv192.rar
http://iegmc.tiefigh...4BGT-BPv192.rar

#17 Antignition

Antignition
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:13 AM

Here are the corrected ARE files for those two caves. The other cave has an ambient that isn't in the game (again, must be from BGT).

I also discovered that the cabin on Bald Hill has this problem too. So it is here as well.

Attached File(s)
BH1301.are ( 3.63k ) Number of downloads: 51
BH1302.are ( 6.53k ) Number of downloads: 44
BH1102.are ( 1.5k ) Number of downloads: 47

These downloads don't work anymore and im having the same problem in the Tri-top c aves. I don't need the fixes as much as the reasurrance that im not missing anything important there. ;)

#18 TheWizard

TheWizard
  • 354 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

These downloads don't work anymore and im having the same problem in the Tri-top c aves.  I don't need the fixes as much as the reasurrance that im not missing anything important there.  ;)

View Post

True enough, the attached files are no longer here. Are you using SoBH for Tutu? If so, which version? I used v1.9 when the cave in Tri-Top crashed, but now there is v1.91. Not sure if this fixes the problem, as I haven't used it first-hand, but it's worth a shot.

The cave itself is not vital to the storyline. IIRC, there are some wolves and treasure in the cave, but nothing you can't live without. :)

#19 Antignition

Antignition
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:14 PM

I believe im using the latest versions I could find, and im pretty sure i was using v1.91. Regardless, it doesn't matter, the mod is very well done but as i progressed i noticed it allows your characters to get quite overpowered, which would make the rest of the game a breeze, so I loaded a game prior to meeting the wizard at the temple and am going on from there. I kept a backup of my bonehill game though, so maybe if the mood takes me i'll finish it up.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and the reassurance wiz.

#20 --Ace--

--Ace--

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:04 PM

I'm having the same crash to desktop in the cave in the Tri-Top area (BH1300). The one in the lower left-hand corner of the map. I am playing BP-BGT-NEJ-DSotSC-NTotSC-SoBH etc..., etc.... I used SoBH 1.8 patched to 1.92. SoBH 1.8 is from last February and the 1.92 patch is from last May. Where can I get the files I need to put in my override directory? I am unable to edit with the IN (?) editor. Please help.

Or should I just skip that cave?

Thanks Much!

Ace