GUI maker needed for BGT-WeiDU

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:25 AM

I am looking for someone who knows how to work with CHU files and can make some graphics for the GUI (in MOS format of course). Basically, what I need is something that is pretty much exactly the same as the way Tortured Souls changes the GUI, the only difference being the circular graphic at the choosing of SoA/ToB screen and the SoA menu picture (as much as Kachiko is beautiful, she doesn't quite fit into the BGT context), as well as the colours involved in the menu.

As I don't have any experience working with the GUI graphics and I don't have any time to learn it over these months, I am seeking someone to do this for me. If you are interested, please post here with your ideas of what graphics might be suitable for the above mentioned positions as well as the colour of the GUI. I am thinking of a Sarevok with spiky armour, just like the textscreen at the start of Chapter 3 (after Sarevok kills Gorion). As for the colour of the GUI, well, I don't really know at the moment.

Ideas welcome, and thanks in advance.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#2 Yacomo

Yacomo

cartographer of the realms

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 05:59 AM

Me, me ME! Okay, maybe I am jumping on this a bit too fast, but I'd really love to do this :w00t:
First resources that come to mind as inspriration are the chapter screens and the original loading screens from BGI - but if you give me a bit of time, I hope I can make up something more 'original'. How fast would you need this?

* EDIT * This one is from an ad for BGI - what do you think?

* EDIT 2 * As you see, some ideas already came up - since BG1 is so much about adventuring in the wilderness I really tend towards wilderness scenery like the ones collected below. I think the GUI buttons etc. should fit into this theme as well, hence greenish or brownish tones.

* EDIT 3 * Would keep the order of the buttons and their basic style like it is now in BP, it's nice anyway and then there should be none till only very minor chu editing required.

* EDIT 4 * Do you want the inventory screens, spellbook etc. modified as well?

* EDIT 5 * Found a larger version of the ad with Sarevok - that is a really mean guy, isn't it

Edited by Yacomo, 21 March 2005 - 10:36 PM.

#3 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:23 AM

Give him a job, Asc.... :D :thumb:

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#4 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:53 AM

Give him a job, Asc.... :D  :thumb:

View Post

Thanks KD! Let's wait for the master to speak B)

As for the second menu screen (the one with the load button) how about something calmer, this one almost looks like a view from Candlekeep, doesn't it? (Of course it needs to be 'baldurized' - just to offer an idea):

Edited by Yacomo, 21 March 2005 - 06:56 AM.

#5 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:55 AM

Another option would be some nice forest images (to be baldurized and spiced up as well of course):

* EDIT * replaced nice images found on the net with awesome images found on the net

* EDIT 2 * I personally like the second one most, it literally says 'let's head into the wilderness for adventure'.

Edited by Yacomo, 21 March 2005 - 07:29 AM.

#6 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:22 AM

Some more inspiration:

#7 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 07:23 AM

Finally, we could also dig into the classics, this one is an oil painting from the louvre:

(and now I'll stop posting images and wait for some feedback ;) )

#8 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:00 AM

For Balduran's sake, Ascension--give him the job! :D

I doubt you'll find somebody more fired up to do it.

I know a thing or two about .chu files as well, if you need some pointers. I had to mess with them a bit in BP (and BP-BGT).

#9 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:56 AM

I liked the first forest picture myself, so what about something like this? I couldn't decide what to do with the text so I've left it fairly boring, and one of the side effects of the operations done on the background have left it a little too blurred, but maybe this will give you some ideas.

Attached Images

• mockup.jpg

#10 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:12 AM

I liked the first forest picture myself, so what about something like this? I couldn't decide what to do with the text so I've left it fairly boring, and one of the side effects of the operations done on the background have left it a little too blurred, but maybe this will give you some ideas.

View Post

Heya, Elminster - that's it! And the colors fit well with the background, granted. I just wished the background image wasn't of such bad quality (that's why I removed it from my post - you were quick grabbing it ;) ).
But I really like the composition. Let's wait for Ascension64's opinion. I'd say we take this one for the second menu screen and the Sarevok from above for the first one.
Given Ascension64 approves this choice, would you like to apply the 'finishing touches' yourself or would you like me to do this?

#11 Alratan

Alratan
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:59 PM

I really like the second image posted (the coastline), not because it is the best picture, but because it is the most appropriate for the beginning of BG1 - it could almost be a concept sketch for some of the maps.

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

If Waywocket gives you permission then, Yacomo (since he dug up something and I'm not exactly sure whether he is implying that he wants to do something as well), then you are definitely hired, although you and Way and horred can all work it together.

The ideas look extremely cool at first glance, but I am about to go to uni so I haven't the time to choose any yet. Also, I did say 'something exactly like TS' earlier but I certainly agree with making a totally new GUI.

More opinions from me possibly later tonight.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#13 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:14 PM

Err, in case there are any doubts: If people agree, I'll be very happy to put the package together for you. Will post some scetches before of course. But if Waywocket wants to contribute something as well, I am the last one to stop him, gives me more time to work on the map :)
I really like his idea of using Elminster for the option screen, although I would prefer a different background image. My current preference would be a cliff view like the one above, but at sunset for more atmosphere and better fitting colors. Oh, and I like the idea of using the Sarevok from above instead of Kachiko, but then that was my suggestion :ph34r:

But this is now your mod Ascension64, so you'll have to decide what you want :devil:

#14 Waywocket

Waywocket
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:33 PM

Well I can send you the Elminster picture, though it's easy enough to find as it's the most common picture I've seen. I have tried to extract it from the original (just off white) background, but I didn't spend too long on it - that's part of the reason for the blurring. If you like, I can spend a bit more time on it and send you a copy in some format that understands transparency (I've been doing everything ith the Gimp so far). Don't know if you can find a cliff scene where that picture can be put in without looking a bit out of place though (I mean from the point of view of perspective, etc.). I'd also be quite interested in doing more if you'd like, although I have only just figured out how to make even simple things like buttons :blush: .

#15 Sir-Kill

Sir-Kill
  • 906 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

looks good guys, keep it up
Live Free Or Die

#16 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:19 PM

Well I can send you the Elminster picture, though it's easy enough to find as it's the most common picture I've seen. I have tried to extract it from the original (just off white) background, but I didn't spend too long on it - that's part of the reason for the blurring. If you like, I can spend a bit more time on it and send you a copy in some format that understands transparency (I've been doing everything ith the Gimp so far). Don't know if you can find a cliff scene where that picture can be put in  without looking a bit out of place though (I mean from the point of view of perspective, etc.). I'd also be quite interested in doing more if you'd like, although I have only just figured out how to make even simple things like buttons :blush: .

View Post

I'd suggest, we do this together - it's much more fun this way, isn't it? No obligations, feel free to do as much or as little as you like, this is our hobby, not our job :) If you'd like to improve the buttons, why not? Just let me know, what you want to do, so that I am not duplicating your work :whistling:

Btw. I am using Gimp as well, so if you have any questions, just ask!

* EDIT * Please have a look above, found a larger image of Sarevok.

Some more things I grabbed together, first one is a nice logo, second one is some concept art, just another inspiration:

Edited by Yacomo, 21 March 2005 - 10:36 PM.

#17 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:06 AM

:o They all look too cool :o

OK. Working together works really well, but I will hire Yacomo as the manager of the little project because of the work he has done with the world map. Basically, the only thing this means is that he gets the final copy to send to me, unless you want to arrange things differently.

I agree with everything said so far. Elm looks nice in the options (which prompts a more arcade menu approach to the GUI that I would like to see, i.e. have the buttons bunched together). Sarevok looks nice instead of Kachiko on the very first screen, and what appears to be the Sword Coast looks quite nice on the SoA screen. How does your title graphic look superimposed onto the Sword Coast graphic?

So, I am actually going to leave it to you Yacomo and Waywocket to finalise an idea that I will not object to (unless it is like dots and dashes :blink: ), but keep it posted here so everyone is updated.

About the inventory and record screens, it would likely look nicer if it was changed but I am unsure what effect that would have on, say, a Big Picture install, since it only changes the starting menus. I'm leaning on keeping the browny borders of BG2, but what do you think (as I am going to relinquish my executive decision on the GUI just to an ideas position)?

Edited by Ascension64, 22 March 2005 - 12:07 AM.

--------------
Retired Modder

#18 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:45 AM

Okay guys, some more very rough scetches (using art from MtG cards). Would add a scroll like background for the label, but since I'm at work now I don't have one at hand.
As for the buttons: I would consider making them 'part of the screen', i.e. not stamp them on, but take the actual screen image and transform it a bit (lighten, darken, texturize).
I will finish Sarevok first this evening, the rest will stay here for further discussion ;)

* EDIT * The second one would be my favourite it is almost what I had in mind - not sure if I have the card though, so I'll probably have to order it first to get a better quality picture.

* EDIT 2 * Concerning inventory screens et all: I would rather leave changes to them to the 'real' GUI mods. Btw.: Ascension64, could you consider making these screens optional? I always hate it, when mods force their modified menu screens on me, so I guess others feel so too and depending on installation order, you might 'break' the BP screens.

Oh, and I'll be away from thursday till monday in case anyone is missing me :whistling:

So here we go:

Edited by Yacomo, 22 March 2005 - 12:57 AM.

#19 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:14 AM

BLOOD, I want more BLOOOOOOOOOOD there!!!!!!!!! :devil:

(last update: 02-12-2008)
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#20 Yacomo

Yacomo

• 485 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:17 AM

BLOOD, I want more BLOOOOOOOOOOD there!!!!!!!!!  :devil:

View Post

Hey, that's the start of the game, you are supposed to be young and innocent there :D

Maybe we should change the credits screen as well in order to give KD a really bloody massacre B)

* EDIT * Special delivery for KD B)

Edited by Yacomo, 22 March 2005 - 01:39 AM.