Dawn Cataclysm

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:46 PM

Can someone please exaplin what this is, how it began and what happened please because all I know is that a few gods died during this time, it revolved around Lathandar and that's about it.

Also on a sperate note for my rp for a NWN server what is Bane's relationship to Shar and how would their respective clergies react to each other in the Moonsea area, thanks very much :thumb:
Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#2 Arachnos

Arachnos
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:44 AM

Can someone please exaplin what this is, how it began and what happened please because all I know is that a few gods died during this time, it revolved around Lathandar and that's about it.

Also on a sperate note for my rp for a NWN server what is Bane's relationship to Shar and how would their respective clergies react to each other in the Moonsea area, thanks very much  :thumb:

View Post

On the Dawn Cataclysm very little is really known. (as it was originally a one-liner in an old sourcebook. People saw it and went 'we want more', so every so often extra tidbits get thrown into the mix)

It revolved around Lathander's attempt to smite evil and reshape the pantheon (with himself as head). During this turn of events Helm's girlfriend was killed off (Murdane, a lesser power of reason & pragmatism) and Helm is still miffed with Lathander for this.

As for when it happened by piecing together bits and bobs it's around about 700 DR (+/- 100 years), most evidence tends to place it around the Fall of Myth Drannor.

Also, rumour has it that the Big L is shaping up for another try at regime change, so expect Dawn Cataclysm : The Return at a store near you soon..

#3 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:12 AM

There's almost no official information on it besides what Arachnos posted.

Speculation is that he will perhaps fail again, be reborn as Amaunator, and then Myrkul will rise as lord of Duck.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#4 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:57 AM

There's almost no official information on it besides what Arachnos posted.

Speculation is that he will perhaps fail again, be reborn as Amaunator, and then Myrkul will rise as lord of Duck.

View Post

Lord of Duck ??? :blink:

#5 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:24 AM

Aye, nothing strange there...

#6 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:33 AM

Typo for Dusk.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#7 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

Lord of Duck ???

Typo for Dusk.

Ehhehhh... and a nice one Andy! :lol: :thumb:
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#8 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 10:27 PM

Okay, so is the rumour true that lathandar and amaunator are the same? Why the alignment difference and so forth...and wouldn't all the other deities get angry having to serve Lathandar?

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#9 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:29 AM

Lathander is believed by some to be a reincarnation of Amaunator, though I don't think the sourcebooks have explicitly confirmed or denied the fact. One (I forget which) does mention Lathander as a reincarnation, and there is a Prestige Class devoted to worshipping Amaunator-As-Lathander.

The alignment issue is not too important... The basic premise of the theory is that the sun god is 3 parts (dawn, noon, dusk), like 3 sides of a triangle, and you only ever see one or two at once.

So back in the old days Amaunator was blanket lord of the Sun. Jergal had Dusk. At some point Amaunator faded (going from LG to LN), and Jergal gave Dusk to Myrkul (going from LE to LN in the process I think). Then Lathander comes along and is Dawn (so Dawn and Dusk are now present). Then Myrkul (Dusk) dies (or is at least severely reduced in power).

The idea is that the deities are the facets of one Sun God. And now Dusk is waning, it is time for Dawn to move into Noon (i.e. possible rebirth of Amaunator from Lathander).

And since Lathander's Dawn Cataclysm failed last time, and he is trying again, that could be the event to trigger it.

I don't think Lathander's aims were to set himself up as head of all the deities, just to 'reshape the Pantheon in his own image', or make the other gods more like him. He's an idealist.

#10 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:37 AM

Thank you kindly for the help guys, it really has helped :thumb:

slightly off topic, what is Bane's position to Shar? Afer his rebirth of course

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#11 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:03 AM

I don't think they particularly like or dislike each other. Shar has a higher Divine Rank IIRC, but only by 1.

#12 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:01 AM

So in a place such as Zhentil Keep or the area of Moonsea, would the two interact and pact together, fight each other or take no interests in each other does anyone think?

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#13 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 07:30 AM

Not sure, but the two do have both a couple of mutual foes (Lathander and Mystra), and a mutual ally (Talona). They once had a second mutual ally in Myrkul, but he died back during the Time of Troubles.

#14 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:20 PM

But Talona is being coveted by Shar, does Bane know about this and if so wouldn't he be displeased by such actions?

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#15 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:43 AM

Possibly (since Shar is a higher divine rank and has Secrets in her portfolio she might be able to hide it), and probably.

#16 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:42 AM

Okay thank you kindly guys, much obliged/appreciated. :thumb:

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#17 -Shargrailar-

-Shargrailar-

Posted 07 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

Okay thank you kindly guys, much obliged/appreciated. :thumb:

Bear in mind, though, that Bane likes to think of himself as THE number one bad guy, so he might not take kindly to Shar moving in on Zhentil Keep, which he sees as "his."

#18 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

Wanted to point out as well that Shar and Cyric have some kind of alliance going on, albeit a loose one, and seeing as Bane and Cyric hate each other - that could have a negative effect between Bane and Shar.

#19 NiGHTMARE

NiGHTMARE
  • 2328 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 07:47 AM

As of 4th Edition, Bane and Shar are most definitely enemies. The Netherese Empire (who all worship Shar) have wiped out most of the Bane-worshiping faction of the Zhentarim, even Zhentarim leader Fzoul Chembryl. However, Bane raised Fzoul as an exarch (basically 4E slang for what was a demi-god in earlier editions), and now his primary goal is opposing Netheril.

#20 Azkyroth

Azkyroth
  • Modder
  • 3496 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

Didn't we conclude that 4E is NFBRES like the Baldur's Gate novels?

"Tyranny is a quiet thing at first, a prim and proper lady pursing her lips and shaking her head disapprovingly, asking, well what were you doing (wearing that dress, walking home at that hour, expressing those inappropriate thoughts) anyway? It's subtle and insidious, disguised as reasonable precautions which become more and more oppressive over time, until our lives are defined by the things we must avoid. She's easy enough to agree with, after all, she's only trying to help -- and yet she's one of the most dangerous influences we face, because if she prevails, it puts the raping, robbing, axe-wielding madmen of the world in complete control. Eventually they'll barely need to wield a thing, all they'll have to do is leer menacingly and we fall all over ourselves trying to placate them." -godlizard