Photo

Can I take your BG2 playing order please?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: These days, when I play through BG2 with a new NPC mod installed I usually... (99 member(s) have cast votes)

These days, when I play through BG2 with a new NPC mod installed I usually...

1. ...race through to Spellhold as quickly as possible to pick up Imoen, then do most longer quests afterwards. (9 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. ...do most longer quests and subquests before Spellhold so only the Bodhi/Vampire/Elhan bits are left before Suldanesselar. (32 votes [32.32%])

Percentage of vote: 32.32%

3. ..take a pretty balanced or varied approach, depending on how I feel at the time. (23 votes [23.23%])

Percentage of vote: 23.23%

4. ...do as few longer quests and subquests as possible, other than ones I know will contain significant extra content from any given new mod. (4 votes [4.04%])

Percentage of vote: 4.04%

5. ...tend to hang around in Athkatla in Chapters 2 & 3 just long enough to be sure all the pre-Spellhold lovetalks/banters are done - it depends very much on the NPC make-up of my group. (31 votes [31.31%])

Percentage of vote: 31.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:29 AM

I swear I have never worked in a restaurant, honest! :D

This poll and thread is part of a set of "customer opinion investigations" I plan to hold on a regular basis to help provide me with as much info about the people who are likely to play Chrysta as possible. One of the things I am curious about is how people tend to play the game with new NPCs, considering that most die-hard fans will probably know most of the subquests inside out by now.

I appreciate that there might be some overlap between the responses listed for this poll, but just ask that people choose the one that seems to apply the most.

Naturally, myself and the rest of the Chrysta modding team will not write Chrysta in a way as to prejudice any of the above approaches, but I still think that you can never know too much about a prospective user-base and I would be very interested to read any comments people would like to add about their own playing styles.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:55 AM

The second. I want to be well prepared before rushing after Imoen.

#3 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:11 AM

The bottom option. I always leave the game on pause and do other things to get LT's during CH 2 and 3.

#4 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:01 AM

voted # 3

As a side note, I'm not a terribly big fan of the idea that you have to reach a certain point in lovetalks / banters before you can go to the Spellhold.

Edited by Meira, 23 March 2005 - 08:01 AM.

Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#5 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:02 AM

As a side note, I'm not a terribly big fan of the idea that you have to reach a certain point in lovetalks / banters before you can go to the Spellhold.

View Post

If it helps... neither am I, at least not without good reason and with some kind of warning or heads-up for the PC that something else is left to do before departing. :thumb:

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 23 March 2005 - 08:03 AM.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#6 Erephine

Erephine

leit aš lķfi

• 1912 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 08:31 AM

Number Three it is yet again. :)

崇高滑稽
·

#7 Hendryk

Hendryk
  • 873 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:52 PM

Number two. Most of my PCs in SoA acquire a stronghold and develop ideas about eventually settling down in Amn. Thus, they tend to do a thorough job on quests in chapter 2; partly because they wish to gain enough power to beat Irenicus and partly because they simply want to check the place out for future consideration. Having no great or specific foreknowledge of the demands of ToB, they don't of course realize that they are wasting their time by considering a future in Amn.
Ready. Fire. Aim.

#8 -Ashara-

-Ashara-

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:06 PM

#2, my PC goes to Spellhold (if ever) only when there is nothing else left to do in Amn. My PCs want to adventure, not to chase powerful insane mages, and rescue silly girls whome they parted ways with long time ago.

#9 Togashi Renshi

Togashi Renshi

Fhtagn!

• 83 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

Numero Cinco for me.

#10 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 03:07 PM

It depends on whether or not I want Immy in a given party. Currently I am romancing Edwin, so I will have to wait until he is ready to go. (I also dislike the idea that my romance has to reach a certain level before leaving for Spellhold.) If I want Immy, I go quickly; if I am not taking Immy, then I often do most everything before going to Spellhold, which makes the UD much easier to take. :^^:

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:07 AM

Number three it be.

#12 Slumlord

Slumlord

Cheese Pants King

• 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 02:47 PM

For sure number three.

Posted Image
Well, good luck with that.

#13 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 05:33 PM

Thanks for the excellent response to the poll. One conclusion that I think that can be drawn from this is that even after the game has been around for this length of time, the number of people who race through Chapters 2 and 3 and/or who skip most of the subquests are very much in the minority.

That is going to be a big help in planning Chrysta. Thanks a bunch guys n gals! :thumb:

#14 AnnabelleRose

AnnabelleRose

The great pretender... of modding!

• Modder
  • 2083 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 07:06 PM

Four, even though I hate that I have to wait for LT sake. I do enjoy the other quests still.

I just wish that The underdark/saughan city were not no-lt zones. Seems silly how the romance just pauses. Not like you are ALWAYS being watched. Just most of the time.

- The transitioned former modder once known as MTS.

#15 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:08 AM

I just wish that The underdark/saughan city were not no-lt zones. Seems silly how the romance just pauses. Not like you are ALWAYS being watched. Just most of the time.

View Post

I have never understood that restriction either - it seems to me that in such pressurised and alien environments, two individuals in love would be relying on and supporting eachother even more than normal, instead of withdrawing.

Suffice to say that Chrysta will not be following the norm here - she will have Lovetalks in the underworld :thumb:

#16 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 03:26 AM

I answered the last one, tho this is not quite correct. I wait for all six dreams (3 original + 3 from the Imoen Romance) to appear, then set sail for Brynnlaw immediately.
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#17 Sol

Sol
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:32 AM

I'd take #2, I do everything I can before going to Spellhold. I don't like waiting :D

#18 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:49 AM

View Post

I have never understood that restriction either - it seems to me that in such pressurised and alien environments, two individuals in love would be relying on and supporting eachother even more than normal, instead of withdrawing.

Suffice to say that Chrysta will not be following the norm here - she will have Lovetalks in the underworld :thumb:

View Post

I had originally planned this for my latest mod (Saerileth), and her flirts are not disabled in the UD; but if you do not disable the LTs in dungeons, the romance ends VERY quickly. :ermm: In the end, we had to disable the LTs in dungeons, and, for some reason, the UD is apparently labeled as such. (Interestingly, Adalon's lair is *not* so labeled, and you often get LTs in there! :unsure: )

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#19 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:14 AM

View Post

View Post

I had originally planned this for my latest mod (Saerileth), and her flirts are not disabled in the UD; but if you do not disable the LTs in dungeons, the romance ends VERY quickly. :ermm: In the end, we had to disable the LTs in dungeons, and, for some reason, the UD is apparently labeled as such. (Interestingly, Adalon's lair is *not* so labeled, and you often get LTs in there! :unsure: )

Sillara

View Post

Very good point, Sillara, and thanks for pointing that out. But as far as I can see you can get around that by using a scripting variable, e.g. set one called "EarlyChapDungeon=0" at the start, then :

IF
  AND(3)
    AreaType("Dungeon")
    GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)
    Global("EarlyChapDungeon","GLOBAL",0)
THEN
  RESPONSE#100
    SetGlobal("EarlyChapDungeon","GLOBAL",1)
    Continue()
END

IF
  AND(3)
    !AreaType("Dungeon")
    GlobalLT("Chapter","GLOBAL",5)
    Global("EarlyChapDungeon","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
  RESPONSE#100
    SetGlobal("EarlyChapDungeon","GLOBAL",0)
    Continue()
END

IF
  AND(2)
    GlobalGT(("Chapter","GLOBAL",4)
    Global("EarlyChapDungeon","GLOBAL",1)
THEN
  RESPONSE#100
    SetGlobal("EarlyChapDungeon","GLOBAL",0)
    Continue()
END

All you have to do then is, in the Lovetalk variable checks, replace:
....!AreaType("Dungeon")
with
....!Global("EarlyChapDungeon","GLOBAL",1)

All of this will ensure that Lovetalks DON'T trigger in dungeons during Chapters 1 through 4, but will continue as normal irrespective of area type once the party has reached the Underdark and beyond.

#20 Littiz

Littiz
  • Modder
  • 1078 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

Minimum quests to get to spellhold...

Ever forward, my darling wind...