Lets all FAQ Chrysta

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:34 AM

Sir K, you said that Chrysta will follow the lead of the PC in regard of the development of her personality and moral standards. How far does that go ? She won't object to anything, from sacrificing yourself to save someone in need to child murdering ?

Yes and no :devil:

Hehe... to be a little less obtuse, it depends when you try any of the above. If you want to go and ahead and behave in a diabolically evil way with Chrysta on board, then make sure you have done enough (by word and deed) to corrupt her first... equally, if you want her to understand a truly selfless and good act, teach her through example and advice what being "good" truly means first. WIthout giving too much away, it will be fairly clear in the mod when you have succeeded in either objective... or, indeed, the third possibility ;)

View Post

Heh. So, no crazy behaviour with Chrysta in the party, like working for the Radiant Heart first, then do the dirty work of Bodhi afterwards. :P

#22 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:35 AM

Heh. So, no crazy behaviour with Chrysta in the party, like working for the Radiant Heart first, then do the dirty work of Bodhi afterwards.  :P

Nothing to stop you making the attempt... ;)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#23 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:43 AM

At first appearance, Chrysta has the form and shape of a rather small, young female Elf. Completely hairless to the point of being totally bald, her skin is a pale green in colour and almost scaly in appearance - rather like the surface of a leaf.

She looks a little like an aquatic elves, except for the fact that the sea elves have hair. :rolleyes:

Edited to correct Quotes!

Edited by Sir Kalthorine, 14 June 2005 - 06:44 AM.

#24 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:46 AM

She looks a little like an aquatic elves, except for the fact that the sea elves have hair.  :rolleyes:

Hopefully Muse's portrait should overcome any suspicion or mistakes on that score. Personally, I think Muse has done a fantastic job of realising my vision of Chrysta. :thumb:

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#25 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:52 AM

Class: Assassin (Thief) with innate Druidic Special Abilities

She advances in levels only as a thief, I suppose ?

#26 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:01 AM

Yes. As she advances in levels as a (slightly nerfed) thief "kit", she will gain set, pre-chosen Druidic Spells on each level-up as one-use-per-day special abilities.

Care has been taken to ensure that:
  • She has sufficient penatlies to her thieving abilities (e.g. reduced backstab multiplier, 15 points to distribute per level {as an assassin does}, initial additional penalties to Open Locks and Find Traps) that she does not become a "normal thief with extra powers", as this would be unblanacing and unfair to "straight" thieves and assassins.
  • The number and type of druidic spells she has are of a type and number so that if there was such a thing as a multi-class druid/thief, then Chrysta does not have more spells at an equivalent number of xp as a druid/thief multi- would have, if such existed.

#27 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:09 AM

Yes. As she advances in levels as a (slightly nerfed) thief "kit", she will gain set, pre-chosen Druidic Spells on each level-up as one-use-per-day special abilities.

• She has sufficient penatlies to her thieving abilities (e.g. reduced backstab multiplier, 15 points to distribute per level {as an assassin does}, initial additional penalties to Open Locks and Find Traps) that she does not become a "normal thief with extra powers", as this would be unblanacing and unfair to "straight" thieves and assassins.

• The number and type of druidic spells she has are of a type and number so that if there was such a thing as a multi-class druid/thief, then Chrysta does not have more spells at an equivalent number of xp as a druid/thief multi- would have, if such existed.

View Post

In this case, when the mod is released, I shall start a debate if she can be considered a true druid or not. :P

#28 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:27 AM

In this case, when the mod is released, I shall start a debate if she can be considered a true druid or not.  :P

As will Chrysta, my friend... as will Chrysta... ;)

#29 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:34 AM

1. She has sufficient penatlies to her thieving abilities (e.g. reduced backstab multiplier, 15 points to distribute per level {as an assassin does}, initial additional penalties to Open Locks and Find Traps) that she does not become a "normal thief with extra powers", as this would be unblanacing and unfair to "straight" thieves and assassins.

What about Jan? He's hardly a straight thief, and with all his little items, he is very close to it where his skills are concerned. Only his stealth ability isn't that good, but that's what invisibility is for. And backstab doesn't work decently anyway, unless you're playing a fighter/thief with high strength.

(BTW: the most 'unfair' NPC, considering his advantages, is Edwin; I can see every one of my mage PC"s screaming: "I want that amulet!")

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#30 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:25 PM

What about Jan? He's hardly a straight thief, and with all his little items, he is very close to it where his skills are concerned. Only his stealth ability isn't that good, but that's what invisibility is for. And backstab doesn't work decently anyway, unless you're playing a fighter/thief with high strength.

Good point with Jan (I mean... starting items that give a total of +85% to thieving abilities!!! :online2long:), but just because Bioware choose to equip their NPCs with overpowered items doesn't mean I want to follow suit!

Chrysta will be a useful character to have around, just not overpowered. I would rather have people saying "I keep Chrysta around because she is interesting" than "I keep Chrysta around coz she kicks more butt than my other NPCs!" Having said that, of course, the other worst case scenario would be "I want to keep Chrysta around coz I like her, but she is bloody useless..."

Ah well, all this is what testing is for! :lol:

#31 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

Chrysta will be a useful character to have around, just not overpowered. I would rather have people saying "I keep Chrysta around because she is interesting" than "I keep Chrysta around coz she kicks more butt than my other NPCs!" Having said that, of course, the other worst case scenario would be "I want to keep Chrysta around coz I like her, but she is bloody useless..."

Good point, so my suggestion is as following: take down her thief fighting stats (backstab, hide/move silently), but don't touch her disable trap and open lock too much. Personally, they're the only reason I keep a thief about, pure class or multiclass.

All this, of course, must relate to her character (if it's more natural for her to have a high hide/move silently than a high open lock, so be it).

Thing is, if you've played the game enough, you don't need the perfect team to finish the game, you just need to make a powerful main character.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#32 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

Two questions :

1. Chrysta will receive only spells from BG2 or will you create new ones too ?

2. Sir K, the other NPCs will recognize Chrysta as a druid ? Jaheira and Cernd can challenge Faldorn in the druid grove. What about Chrysta ? Since she is not a classic druid, will she be acknowledged as one ?

Edited by Feanor, 14 June 2005 - 11:32 PM.

#33 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:55 AM

1. Chrysta will receive only spells from BG2 or will you create new ones too ?

Almost all versions of BG2 spells (I don't want her to be something too freaky!). However, there will be subtle differences in the way a small minority of the spells work that are peculiar to Chrysta's nature and background, and which astute players may be able to work to their advantage. ;)

2. Sir K, the other NPCs will recognize Chrysta as a druid ? Jaheira and Cernd can challenge Faldorn in the druid grove. What about Chrysta ? Since she is not a classic druid, will she be acknowledged as one ?

[Cryptic Hint Mode]The NPC Druids may not recognise her Druidic nature, but the Forest and its Nobility will...[/Cryptic Hint Mode] :whistling:

#34 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:05 AM

One other problem : will the other NPCs have qualms regarding how the PC will influence the development of Chrysta's personality. Characters like Keldorn or Mazzy, for instance, could object if Charname turns Chrysta to the dark side... (BTW, you are not compelled to answer to this, Sir K :D )

#35 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:02 AM

One other problem : will the other NPCs have qualms regarding how the PC will influence the development of Chrysta's personality. Characters like Keldorn or Mazzy, for instance, could object if Charname turns Chrysta to the dark side... (BTW, you are not compelled to answer to this, Sir K  :D )

Long answer: Ah, but the lure of the dark side is often cloaked in a veil of innocence and gilded with semmingly good intentions, my young padawan, such that others may not recognise it for what it is until too late... :closedeyes:

Short answer: Perhaps ;)

#36 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:50 PM

One other thought : is hard to imagine that a clone can have thieving skills since they come for practice. For instance, how can anyone disarm a trap, no matter what dexterity he has, if he has never seen a trap. BTW, Sir K, I said "unlikely", not impossible.

#37 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:30 PM

One other thought : is hard to imagine that a clone can have thieving skills since they come for practice. For instance, how can anyone disarm a trap, no matter what dexterity he has, if he has never seen a trap. BTW, Sir K, I said "unlikely", not impossible.

View Post

Answer to that one falls most definitely into "already been thought of and rationale makes perfect sense in-game, but too spoilery to give details" territory, sorry. :)

#38 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:39 PM

Answer to that one falls most definitely into "already been thought of and rationale makes perfect sense in-game, but too spoilery to give details" territory, sorry.  :)

View Post

In case you have not noticed, my post did not have the form of a question in this case. :P

#39 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:01 AM

In case you have not noticed, my post did not have the form of a question in this case.  :P

Indeed... but you know I can't resist responding in some way! In fact, considering how much I enjoy responding to posts in this forum it is a good job that I am so averse to leaking spoilers... or else the entire mod would be in the public domain by now. :)

#40 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:02 AM

Another thing which concerns me : her alignment is an expression of her druidic nature or just of the fact that, as a clone, she does not make the difference between good and evil, being like a new-born baby in terms of morality ?