NWN animations to BG2

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 -simpleton-

-simpleton-

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:45 PM

Ok...Using 3ds max 5,BAM workshop and DLTCEP and of course Neverwinter nights models..I have successfully ported a true pit fiend into my BG2 game and it looks GREAT! I plan on adding many more of the obscure creatures in NWN left out in the BG2/IWD series of games...so whats the problem then? well...the pit fiend is great except for his size. I have the animation from 3dsmax created at 200 x 200 so he is roughly about the same size as the nabassu animation...but I would prefer much larger for obvious reasons... the problem arises when I make say a 250 x 250 animation, I make the BAMS, I preview them in BAM workshop..no problem...but in game the creature does not show? I get a circle and I can move this invisible object around but no animation is visible...now if I knock the size down to 200 x 200 it shows up again.

so my question is does anyone know the highest dimensions a BAM can visually be displayed, I remember reading I think old teambg about size restrictions that why the dragons are split up into different sizes..but take the big rhinobeetle or cyclops animation from IWD..you can port it over to BG2 no problem...and I KNOW that that frame size HAS to be bigger then my measly 200 x 200.
I am using the unused shade 2 (MSH2**,MSH2**E) animation slot and am unsure if perhaps that is the cause of my size restriction (reminds self to try the bigger version of pit fiend animation in the cyclops slot to see if that might work). any info regarding this will greatly help. as I would rather be told "don't know" then spend the next 3 months going through every size conceivable then find out it was common knowledge. (=

any help is greatly appreciated..thanks!

#2 Seifer

Seifer

The best Anti-Paladin weapon is a tin opener...!

• 4505 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 04:12 AM

I'd be very interested in knowing how you managed to get a NVN model into 3DSMAX, I didn't think that they'd bundled the meshes in with the game.

To your question though, I know the foot circles per animation are hardcoded so its very possibly something to do with that. I've not looked at it for a while though so someone like Sim or one of the old school boys will have to perhaps explain a little more indepth then I'm able too.

All I can think of at the moment is to try an animation witha larger circle, such as MCYC and see if that works.

Edited by Seifer, 03 April 2005 - 04:20 AM.

how come you always look so damn cool in every photo I see you in?!?

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

Still a cyberjock, still hacking the matrix, still unsure of what that means.

TeamBG member - http://www.teambg.eu

#3 Nerik

Nerik
  • 42 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 01:51 PM

First: congratulations on doing this!

Second, I've just had a quick look though some creature animations in BG II using DLTCEP, there are very few that exceed 200 pixels in size (that are not multi-part, i.e. dragons, or the nabassu), so you might want to consider that your 200x200 pit fiend is big enought (the existing animbation used for them, the ravager, is typically about 160x160, depending on the frame), but the best way to judge is to see what it looks like in the game. There is a limit, but I can't find it listed on the IESDP.

You might want to have a look at Galactygon's Bestial Animations mod over at The Black Wyrm, where he is working on a way of beating the built in 'number of creature animations' limit of the game. He has so far added in all addional creature animations from BG I, IceWind Dale I & II, and is working on adding those from Planescape: Torment as well.

I think the Throne of Bhaal Refinements team might also be interested in your work as well.

I look forward to your finished results,

Charles

#4 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 02:01 PM

I'd be fairly interested in seeing the new animation.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#5 T.G.Maestro

T.G.Maestro

Eclipse

• 4415 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 01:33 AM

Indeed, a screenshot here would be appreciated. ;)
Posted Image

Refinements v2 has been released!
Go and visit the website or the forum for more info!

Member of The Silver Star team.

#6 -EGM-

-EGM-

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:04 AM

A tip about the size: BGII can't handle a bam with a size bigger than 256*256.

#7 -simpleton-

-simpleton-

Posted 05 April 2005 - 08:45 PM

View Post

ah thats very good to know 256..hmmm

anyways, I will post a screenshot tommorow night around 11pm e.s.t.
also if its is possible (size-wise)I will make this available for download here or by email

@ seifer:
I could write you a quick run down tutorial on how I managed to port the NWN animations over.

#8 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:07 AM

Screenshots as promised.
Posted Image

some more
Posted Image
some more still

Posted Image
even more...

Posted Image

I also have uploaded this and its ready to download...I just ask that anyone that can host this file go ahead and do so..as we all know that geocites has only so much bandwidth.

Tutorial coming up next.

thanks WoRm (simpleton)

#9 -WoRm-

-WoRm-

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:12 AM

First heres the link for the Pit Fiend BG2 animation (includes a custom creature "wrmtest" so you can try it out right away, just clua it in)

creature contains all animations including spells and 3 seperate attack sequences.
its still in beta form (wings clip a little sometimes) but it is more then able to be used now in game or as part of a MOD...please email me @ : [lord_of_worms@yahoo.com] for any questions..

to get the pitfiend click here.

Index

now on to the Tutorial:

NWN Creature animations to BG2 Creature Bam animation format.

Ok for this you will need several tools and applications:

1) 3ds max (By Discreet)
2) DLTCEP (By Avenger)
3) BAMWorkshop (Gafware)
4) NWN Plugins for 3dsmax (Do a search)
5) NWN Explorer (NWN Vault)

Ok, now that thats out of the way lets start up 3dsmax and get things together.

1) under rendering in the toolbar, click 'environment'
under background in your 'common parameters' tab click the black box to the left of 'environment map' (it says 'color above it)
in the color selector box that pops up type in green: 151, blue: 151 and leave the red at :0 , this will set the background of the animations we render to that of the bg2 invisible color.
we can close the pop-up when we are through.

2)now under 'rendering' again in the toolbar we select 'render...'
another toolbox opens,
a) for output size i use 200 width by 200 height
B) under options UNtick 'atmospherics,effects and displacement'
c) open 'max default scanline A-buffer' properties and UNtick anti-aliasing, leave filter map checked but select 'blackman' under filter drop-down' (this will give us a nice hard edge in the rendered animation, without it your animation will blend with the background color, the result? well your animation will have a greenish tint surrounding him...not good)
d) uncheck "apply" under 'object motion blur' properties
e) uncheck "apply" under 'image motion blur' properties
f) under 'color range limiting' properties set the color range to "Scale"

there now max is set up for our importing.

now open up your NWN "Appearance" 2DA and search for the creature you want to import, remember or write down the MDL creature name usually C_{creature name)
mine is "C_devil"
also check to see the texture name, mine again is "C_devil"
you may have to export the texture as well as the MDL file.
use NWN explorer for this

export MDL and Texture into a new folder you create

Use 3dsmax to import MDL FROM the folder you created, this will allow max to pull the texture straight from the folder without you having to re-create or search the materials part of rendering.

NOTE: When importing MDL MAKE SURE YOU IMPORT ANIMATIONS!!

now simply cycle through the animation using 3ds max animation slider and take notes of the frame ranges for each different animation, there is usually 10 null frames in between each animation so its not that hard to determine where one ends and another begins.
now take a look below at my C_Devil notes for animations.

901-941: walk
456-516: stand down
1258-1288: Stand Combat
54-84: attack 1
97-127: attack 2
11-41: attack 3
183-243: spell prepare
256-271: spell release
get hit: 625-635
671-701: fall down
800-830: get up

for the Twitch animation i just export a single bmp frame from the last frame of the 'fall down animation'

so using the above information I can now render my animations.

NOTE: Time output here is where you type in the frame ranges

1) choose toolbar 'rendering, sub-menu "Render..." and under 'render output' click the button that says 'files..."
choose a name for animation (since i will do the walk anim first i type in "PIT_WALK_South", choose a format (AVI) then click save
choose (- FULL FRAMES UNCOMPRESSED) for the pop-up
under 'Time output' at the top I type in my walk range which is " 901 to 941"
I click render button at bottom
ta-da!!
file is saved as avi in whatever folder i chose earlier in my "Files..." part of the process.

of course you have to do this for South,South-West,West,North-West,and North...rotating,exporting etc
also you must do this for each of the above animation sequences...needless to say it can get pretty monotonous but take breaks in between and it isn't so bad

I won't get into how you use DLTCEP or Gafware just yet as I assume if you are going to try tackling this for yourself you should already know everything about these two tools, but if not I would be willing to continue this tutorial if the demand is there.

Enjoy-

WoRm.

#10 Seifer

Seifer

• 4505 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:18 AM

I'd be grateful if you could.

View Post

ah thats very good to know 256..hmmm

anyways, I will post a screenshot tommorow night around 11pm e.s.t.
also if its is possible (size-wise)I will make this available for download here or by email

@ seifer:
I could write you a quick run down tutorial on how I managed to port the NWN animations over.

View Post

Speaking of modding, I listened to IER 3 yesterday, so you can have another quote for your signature: how come you sound so damn cool, as well as look it? It's unfair. Seriously.

#11 -WoRm (simpleton)-

-WoRm (simpleton)-

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:29 AM

Also I forgot to mention that I DID NOT create these animations. these are the respective property of Bioware..also the texture was created by someone from NWN Vault...I can't remember , but will post when I find out. All I did was port it over to a usable BG2 BAM

it uses MSH2**, MSH2**E BAMs so if your already using the shade 2 blank animation slot you may want to rename it to something else.

now if anyone has any wishes for what animations from NWN they would like to see next post them here and I will take it into consideration.

I was thinking about some custom content like displacer beasts, centaurs, more demon variations.
but let me know.

last but not least, I have very limited internet time, so if anyone wants to host anything or direct other people that may be interested by all means please do so.
just email me whats going on so I can keep you updated on any future creations.

thanks - WoRm

#12 Seifer

Seifer

• 4505 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:08 AM

With your permission I'll expand on this tutorial and host it.

I've got the links for the NVN MAX plug-in in doors which I'll add later on.

Seif

#13 -Seifer (unhelmed)-

-Seifer (unhelmed)-

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:17 AM

I can also host this for you if need

Olryx2@Yahoo.co.uk

#14 -WoRm (simpleton)-

-WoRm (simpleton)-

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:44 AM

Yeah by all means host away, of course if you want I can further elaborate the tutorial and add images if you like. I did it like a hour before work so i was kind of rushed.
(Work is the only internet I have at the moment)
but i can definitely work it out to me more beginner friendly.
its up to you (=

I'll be adding a bunch more custom content besides creature animations to my web site at geocities I just would need someone to actually take the stuff they want and host it for themselves as there isn't enough room for everything I have (mostly custom areas that just are never going to be made into my MOD and I don't want to see everything go to waste.) and because of the space issues I would have to delete somethings, add some things, delete some more things...etc.

just download, email me with a link to your site so I can help out with any problems you might encounter and thats it.

:rolleyes:

#15 -Seifer (unhelmed)-

-Seifer (unhelmed)-

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:47 AM

Well, the areas I'll certainly take as I have a use for those. Either get registered and PM me or email at the given address so I can see what you have.

#16 -WoRm-

-WoRm-

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:57 AM

Well, the areas I'll certainly take as I have a use for those.  Either get registered and PM me or email at the given address so I can see what you have.

View Post

I'll get together a jpg (reduced size) page of screenshots with all the areas, numbered, and email you it (and host it on my web site for others. just give me the numbers you want and I'll tell you how many megs were talking (they all are complete areas with custom animations,search,light and height maps,.wed's ..they just don't have any scripts except some unique area scripts and absolutely no creature,trap,or spawn placements)

I'll try and get it up to you by tommorow. ok?

#17 Seifer

Seifer

• 4505 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:07 AM

I've got 2GB spare but I wanna reserve some of that. Give me an estimate instead?

#18 Chevar

Chevar

Enough is enough.

• 409 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 09:48 AM

Simpleton/Wyrm.. I'm impressed. The World Transition Project has been working on building resource collections for the modding community. I'm currently converting about 40 animations from other game platforms (UO, Diablo 1 and 2, and next up will be arcanum).

You did a great job converting that anim. I look forward to seeing future work. If you're interesting in community distribution, let us know over on BlackWyrmLair .

Our current FTP space is around 10 gig, and more is ours for the asking.
"NOTICE: All of my comments are edited by a one year old that refuses to LEAVE MY KEYBOARD ALONE!"

Project Forum

#19 Seifer

Seifer

• 4505 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:20 AM

Link for the plugin -
http://www.cadalyst....Importmax5.html

You'd have to possibly recompile it for Max6 though.

Edited by Seifer, 07 April 2005 - 11:21 AM.

#20 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 08:41 AM

Wow, these are great looking. :w00t:

I can't wait to try them out. Kudos to you, worm.
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.