• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 11:37 AM

Disclaimer - PLEASE READ: Lists and links provided here are a snapshot summary in the categories listed. The most comprehensive and regularly updated Mod List on the web can be found at the Pocket Plane Group Infinity Engine Modlist, and the info I have provided is intended for convenience only and not as a replacement for information already available in more detail elsewhere. I strongly advise anyone serious about modding or playing mods to visit and peruse the PPG list in detail.

The Player Centre

For those visiting the Modder's Room for information on essentials for playing mods, downloading and installing them, and info on the online modding community, I have tried to summarise useful information here.

=============================

1. Game essentials

First of all, whatever IE game you have, make sure you have the relevant official patches installed. Rather than clutter up this thread, I advise you to visit the Pocket Plane Group Mods & Patches page and follow your particular game's links.

For BG2 (Shadows of Amn or Throne of Bhaal), it is also recommended (but not essential) to get hold of the relevant "Baldurdash" fixpacks originally written by Kevin Dorner:

1. For a "Shadows of Amn" only install:

• The "Baldurdash" English-Language Game Text Update (corrects in-game text errors)
  • The "Baldurdash" Unofficial Fixpack

You will find download links to both of these at the BALDURDASH site.

2. For a "Throne of Bhaal" install:

• The "Baldurdash" ToB English-Language Game Text Update (corrects in-game text errors)
  • The "Baldurdash" Unofficial ToB Fixpack

You will find download links to both of these at the ToB BALDURDASH site.

2. Important Information on Installing Mods

Note: Anyone who installs any mod without first visiting the mod's homepage, checking for updates and thoroughly reading ReadMes (with particular emphasis on compatibility and install order) is a total doofus. However, with that in mind do make sure that you have installed all official patches installed after your original game:

.tlk overwriting mods - Only one can be installed at a time, and must be installed first (before any WeiDU mods).

IAP/TBG mods - Mods in the IAP format are sort of safe to install, at least for the dialog.tlk. If you have one of these, install it after a dialog.tlk obliterating mod, and before any WeiDU mods.

General Guide to WeiDU mods - These are to be installed last, as they are usually designed to be completely compatible with all other mods. Unfortunately a few have some files that overwrite stock files that may also be changed by another mod, so there's always the chance for conflict. Most mods usually have warnings about this, however.

So for "Baldurs Gate 2 Shadows of Amn/Throne of Bhaal", for example, when you are installing mods the order should be:

• SoA
  • ToB
  • ToB patch
  • Either: The "Baldurdash" English-Language Game Text Update
    Or: Any one other single dialog.tlk overwriting mod
  • The Baldurdash original unofficial fixpack (IAP/TBG format)
  • IAP/TBG mods & items
  • WeiDU mods (check ReadMe and forumspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.netspellholdstudios.net/homepage for each one for specific compatibility issues)

If you want more detailed instructions on installation orders (including other IE games), the most comprehensive one I could find is HERE

3. Sources of Mods

So you are ready to download those mods, eh? Now to find out where to get them from:

• Links to mods, very conveniently categorised by game and type, can be found at the Pocket Plane Group Mods & Patches Page. This site also provides brief descriptions of each mod so you can better decide what you want to download.
  • Alternatively, for downloading almost any mod you care to mention, head to the IEGMC!
    IEGMC America
    IEGMC Europe,
    IEGMC Asia,
    IEGMC Asia (FTP)
    These sites are maintained by TheWizard. If you want to have your own mods hosted on the IEGMC, email TheWizard at rdupuis@gmail.
  • The only bias I intend to show on these lists (in deference to SHS allowing me to host my own mod-in-progress here):- For a list of mods hosted by Spellhold Studios you can head HERE
  • The team over at Black Wyrm's Lair have also put together an excellent download centre for IE mods. You can find it at the Dragon's Hoard.
  • Finally, as I am aware that NPC mods are among the most popular downloads out there, I must mention that Moongaze has put together an excellent collated Baldurs Gate NPC & Romance Mod List over on the Chosen of Mystra forums.

===============================

4. IE Gaming and Modding Communities

Note: This is an amalgamated precis of the list of main modding community forums/sites from the PPG list, again just placed here for convenience and as an amalgamated homepage/forum linklist. Visit the PPG list for a brief description of each IE modding community, which is not provided here:

Edited by jastey, 22 August 2022 - 01:13 PM.

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:19 AM

If you're installing a dialog.tlk overwriting mod, there isn't much point installing the Baldurdash game text update...

View Post

Top post edited to reflect this... thanks NiGHTMARE! :thumb:

I have also added a link to Moongaze's collated NPC list over on the CoM forums, as I believe it is an excellent resource for those players interested in NPC mods (and I know there are a lot of you out there!).

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#3 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 01:19 AM

[Edited out because the Party AI scripts are now on this site]

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 04 March 2006 - 02:30 AM.

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:42 AM

Blacksheep Site moved:

http://www.blacksheepclan.net/

http://www.blackshee...t/baa/index.php

#5 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:44 AM

That was me, btw. "Could have sworn I was logged in." Not that it matters, anyway. Feel free to delete the post(s) after updating the links.

#6 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 16 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

Thanks.