Photo

Dungeons and Dragons

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:19 AM

Well, since the coming of PC games, Internet and staying home too much and overall simplicity of computer games over _b o a r d_ games, do people actually still play D&D on pennpaper? Or should I take that this forum is more for informative topics and reference?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Edited by Ebon, 17 May 2005 - 11:22 AM.

#2 Cat87

Cat87
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:49 AM

believe me, if I could find the time outside of school and anyone to play with, I would. However, since all of those parts don't exactly work out, I don't.

#3 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

I still play on occasion.

#4 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:27 PM

If I could find anyone to play with, I would. My old playing buddies grew up and think they've got better things to do with time. I miss the old days :crying:
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#5 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:35 PM

View Post

Hmm, that's true? Well, that's great, since pen&paper/board gaming is always better than computer gaming.

I've never seen p&p.ers in my country and I'll probably never see. Communism ended just when computers became powerful here. Though D&D may seem geeky sometimes (IMO; as far as I'm aware; it depends on DM I think), it'd surely be better than staying in front of a PC in front of virtual players.

#6 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:29 AM

It lost all the fun when games like Baldur's Gate came into being. Now when I am able to play my own story, without other people around, I think I'll never return to p&p. Live players, live DM... *shudder*

#7 Dalis'ilhea

Dalis'ilhea

so, if I was to eat this I'd see the ghosts that haunted me?

• 737 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:00 AM

I still play from time to time, it's just finding the time, basicly when I',m not working, they're not working or on holiday from uni
I apparently have a high level of empathy, combined with a low level of sympathy... weird

In the wake of destruction progress is made

I am who I am, and none shall change me

#8 Bluenose

Bluenose

The gnome-sage of Ral Worcester

• 1565 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:08 AM

Well, since the coming of PC games, Internet and staying home too much and overall simplicity of computer games over _b o a r d_ games, do people actually still play D&D on pennpaper? Or should I take that this forum is more for informative topics and reference?
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

View Post

I play most weeks. The exceptions would be when I'm away from home and can't make the group meeting for one reason or another. One of the people I regularly play with was there when we were persuaded not to by the Chainmail rules because a new version was coming in the next week. That was First Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. I must have played over 1000 sessions PnP since then. Not all D&D of course, but all sorts of games.

Now you've made me feel old. :(

Back from the brink.

Like RPGs? Like Star Wars? Think combining the two would be fun? Read Darths and Droids, and discover the line "Jar Jar, you're a genius".

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth's foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

#9 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 03:21 AM

Every week. I am the DM :D

[edit] On a side-note AD&D 2nd edition, D&D 3.0 en D&D 3.5

Edited by Deathsangel, 18 May 2005 - 04:48 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#10 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:06 AM

Now you've made me feel old. :(

View Post

You're not the only one! I've still got my 1st Ed handbook on the shelf. My 13 y.o. daughter shows it to her friends and tells them horror stories about olden times when people had to play with p&p because they didn't have computers. Sigggh. Sometimes you feel like you should be in a Museum. :unsure:
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#11 -Aristothenes-

-Aristothenes-

Posted 18 May 2005 - 06:31 AM

I still have a copy of Chainmail lying around.

#12 Ebon

Ebon
  • 323 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:08 AM

Wow. Someone might have even made an Internet service for D&D. Who knows... just like poker and backgammon, someone also doing for d&d. :online2long:

#13 oralpain

oralpain
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:15 AM

View Post

Hmm, that's true? Well, that's great, since pen&paper/board gaming is always better than computer gaming.

I've never seen p&p.ers in my country and I'll probably never see. Communism ended just when computers became powerful here. Though D&D may seem geeky sometimes (IMO; as far as I'm aware; it depends on DM I think), it'd surely be better than staying in front of a PC in front of virtual players.

View Post

I play face to face pnp AD&D (I prefer 2nd edition but will play 1st edition) very irratically, but I still manage to play it.

More regularly, I use VoIP, text messaging, and net meetings's whiteboard, togeather, to play pnp over the internet with a friend in Arizona and another in Norway (I'm in New York). It works rather well. In some ways it is infereror to playing face to face, but it has pros as well. The 9 hour total time differential has been a frequent problem though.

What exactly did communisim have to do with D&D? Where such materials restricted in the former government or just hard to find?

Edited by oralpain, 19 May 2005 - 05:30 AM.

#14 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 12:38 AM

I still play P&P using AD&D 2E. It has been a year since we finished my last campaign but we will start a new one in the beginning of July.

-Echon

#15 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:19 AM

I play 3E/3.5E. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#16 Celestine

Celestine

Elven Maiden

• Modder
  • 4538 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

If I can find anyone to play with, I would. A pity most people here are too busy with their own lives.

#17 Vita Muerte

Vita Muerte

BG2 Addict

• 80 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:18 PM

If I found a someone to play with I definitely would.

There's nothing like drinking and playing D&D. My party would get together every weekend and play for hours. I remember this one time we played for almost 24hrs straight! *sigh* Now I don't even see my friends because the DM and one of the players got married and decided to have a family. :bash:

Edited by Vita Muerte, 19 May 2005 - 10:29 PM.

#18 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:56 AM

My long-ago boyfriend taught me to play pnp. Then he married me. Then he sired three children on me. And we *still* play D&D every weekend. Usually he DMs, but I do on occasion.

We play a 2.5-ish edition. Basically it is 2e with some feats. :^^:

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#19 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 04:30 AM

My long-ago boyfriend taught me to play pnp.  Then he married me.  Then he sired three children on me.  And we *still* play D&D every weekend.  Usually he DMs, but I do on occasion.

We play a 2.5-ish edition.  Basically it is 2e with some feats.  :^^:

Sillara

View Post

Sounds like the perfect romance to me, a dream come true ^_^

Edited by Deathsangel, 20 May 2005 - 04:31 AM.

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#20 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 06:33 AM

My long-ago boyfriend taught me to play pnp.  Then he married me.  Then he sired three children on me.  And we *still* play D&D every weekend.  Usually he DMs, but I do on occasion.

We play a 2.5-ish edition.  Basically it is 2e with some feats.  :^^:

Sillara

View Post

Sounds like the perfect romance to me, a dream come true ^_^

View Post

IT just wouldn't be the same without DnD would it?
LOL..im guilty of being oneof the people who is too busy with my life to play PnP....it takes place on a sat afternoon here at my college, so im often doing sometihng vaguely sporty, and when im not its too far int he campaign to pitch up....:D But at least there r people who play here...some of u people sound starved :(
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya