• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

Incarnation of the Eternal Ale Warrior

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:52 AM

Well, I?ve been waiting a long, looooong time to say this. I?M BAAAAACK! As many people have heard me lament, my beloved laptop suffered a terminal meltdown about 6 months ago. The repair bill for a new motherboard (Which is required for bloody Compaqs when their idiotically mounted power sockets inevitabely break. As I and literally HUNDREDS of others have learned.) is in the insane range of about $800.00! :help:
So, being less than wealthy, I could neither afford a new one, nor justify a repair at near new-laptop-costs. Taking advice from my local computer repair shop, I became a habitual eBay dweller. Often these motherboards can be picked up for the range of $200-$350 dollars. I managed to win an auction for one claimed to be in ?Perfect? condition for $255.00. Eventually it arrived, and enacted my crash course in laptop repair. Low and behold however, this board in ?perfect? condition had a severely broken power socket. (Comically, even cracked and resecurred with electritian?s tape!) And was totally DOA. The person I bought it off had a fabulous eBay record over 5 years, including Paypal enhanced protection. (Which guarentees up to $1250.00) The problem was compounded at this point by the seller deciding he?d no longer like to be an eBay seller, and deactivating his account. He was sympathetic to my problem though, and offered me $100 if I sent the motherboard/paperweight back to him... :angry: Telling him where to stick that, I went through Paypal. They promised me a resolution within 2-3 weeks. 2 months later, I got my money back. However, I was back to square one. Stuck with a dead computer and no way to effectively mod or access my files. I was sad. :crying:
Then the incredible happened. One of the forum dwellers with whom I?d met for ale (Yes, ale - not beer!) seeing he was in town pulled some strings with his company and I?m certain with his own wallet. In a savage act of kindness the likes of which I?ve never experienced, he presented me with a factory refurbished (Indistiguishable from bloody NEW!) laptop of the same damn model as my old one!!! :blink: :w00t: :hug: Seeing as the models were the same, I was even able to successfully swap over my old hard drive (with all my irraplaceable files, settings, and other questionable materials) into the new one. In return, this demented soul merely asked for a donation of modding skills to his minor causes. (The unbelievable bastard actually attempted to pay for dinner when he handed the computer over! Such audacity!) Such is not enough by far, but I would like to take a moment and give my heartfelt thanks to MitchMC. A scholar, gentleman, and a great conversationalist to boot. ^_^
So, to those folk to whom I have offerred help in the past, and to whom I have been unable to meet my obligations, I will shortly be modding again! If anyone wants to send me a reminder (Cam, I recall the fixpack, no reminder necassary.) feel free and I?ll get to it when I can. I?ll need some time to get back up to speed (Hell, even Weidu is up 20 versions since I last modded!) but am at least back in the game! :devil:

The great wolf Fenrir gapes ever at the dwelling of the gods.

#2 igi

igi

IESDP Guardian

• Administrator
  • 1058 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:56 AM

The world revolves again. Welcome back
:hug:

Visit the IESDP

#3 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:03 AM

Welcome back Hlidskialf. I am glad it turned out well in the end. :thumb:

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#4 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:22 AM

Hlid, you already rock. Now, you're gonna rock even more. I'm delighted to hear that it worked out. :)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#5 Andyr

Andyr

HERR RASENKOPF

• 2318 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 09:39 AM

Nice to have you back. :)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

< jcompton > Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

#6 Meira

Meira

I'm the snow on your lips

• 411 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

It's always heart-warming to see that people like MitchMC really exist in reality and not only in fairytales. :hug:
Ihmeellinen meri

Kummalliset kalat liukuvat syvyydessä,
tuntemattomat kukat loistavat rannalla;
olen nähnyt punaista ja keltaista ja kaikki toiset värit -
mutta ihana meri on vaarallista nähdä,
se herättää tulevien seikkailujen janon:
mitä on tapahtunut sadussa, on tapahtuva minullekin.

- Edith Södergran

Amber - The BG2 NPC Mod Project Now released!
Amber's discussion forum at Gibberlings 3

#7 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

Glad to see you back, but... you forgot to ask the ritual question (*)!!!
Everybody who stayed without access to a BG and/or computer for more than 3 months should ask that on return.
Oh yeah, the answer is the same as 6 months ago.

*** opens the chest for special occasions alcohol and pulls out... Glen Grant, I think...

(*) ritual question = "Has RtW been released yet?"

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#8 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

LOL :P

Welcome back Hlid:D:D

Cuv

#9 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:39 PM

Good to see you back and thank you MitchMC. Hlid, Please back up your hard drive!

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#10 Stone Wolf

Stone Wolf
  • 1672 posts

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:12 PM

Good to see you back. :)

#11 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 07:34 AM

Good luck with any future modding :)
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#12 Thorium Dragon

Thorium Dragon

Hard at work...

• Modder
  • 408 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:20 AM

Glad you got your computer problem solved, hlidskialf.

I recommend every modder get a removable hard drive. The one I have has saved my data from a number of system failures, the most recent one very severe.

Mod in Progress: Valen Expansion

#13 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:50 AM

The most annoying problem was that I was positive I had made a backup of my custom files only about 4 days before the computer died. However, after tearing my house apart I could never locate it, nor anything newer than 2 months before. (Which incidentally had half of the files on that disc as "unreadable". I think due to long directory file names.) I suspect my kids had used it as a frisbee or something and were to smart to tell daddy about it in his post laptop depression.

Thanks to all the well wishers. It's appreciated. :D

#14 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:45 AM

Welcome back!

So what's your first project ;)?

#15 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:33 PM

Welcome back!

So what's your first project ;)?

View Post

Catching up! There's about 20 new mod versions out there I haven't disected yet. (I always do code snooping.) Then I have to try and remember where the hell I left off on my Greyhawk project. As well as get back into the game on things I've offered help with like the G3Fixpack, Immy romance, and anything else I've forgotten that I'm sure I'll shortly be reminded about. :shifty:.

Edit: Of course I haven't forgotten MitchMC! :thumb:

Edited by hlidskialf, 22 May 2005 - 01:46 PM.

#16 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

Small reminder: decompile all your Mod Resurrection in a BP-free environment, while waiting for G3Fixpack - Modder Friendly setup :)

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#17 hlidskialf

hlidskialf

• Modder
  • 2510 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

Small reminder: decompile all your Mod Resurrection in a BP-free environment, while waiting for G3Fixpack - Modder Friendly setup  :)

View Post

Thanks, I remembered that one. I'm planning another dual-install setup instead of the swapping out I used before. (I forgot to swap out the script compiler a time or two it seems.) It'll mean deleting a lot of old Poser stuff, but we all make sacrifices for our modding!

#18 Jyzabyl

Jyzabyl

Order of the Radiantly Radiant

• 1468 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:35 PM

Wow. It does a soul good to know that there are still good guys out there! :D I'm really happy you're back. Your posts have been great as I learn about this modding thing.

I suspect my kids had used it as a frisbee or something

When I got my new box I discovered my daughter had overwritten my carefully backed up files with atrocious top 40 music arrgghhh!!!!!
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing. And in knowing that you know nothing, that makes you the smartest of all. Socrates

Not only are female redheads frequently lovely but theirs is a loveliness that suggests both lust and danger, pleasure and violence, and is, therefore, to the male of the species virtually irresistible. Red O red were the tresses of the original femme fatale. Tom Robbins

The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Unless you know anthing about anatomy. In that case the way to a man's heart is through his ribs with a meat cleaver. Miss Jyzzy's Guide to Men.

Xtreme Versatility? Xpress Yourself!

#19 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:12 AM

Nice story Hlid - there really are some people worth knowing and you never know where they'll appear from. Thanks MitchMC - you truly are a gentleman.

-Y-