• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:44 AM

Thank you Ashara and BobTokyo for providing this list :).
Updated 24/05/05

It's subjective and intended as food for thoughts, not critisism.

Original:

- Character with incredibly convoluted and tragic past
- Character w/o any family left

Modded:

- Character with unusual eye colour (violet, green)
- Character with exceptional "stat" or using the highest possible stat for his/her race
- Character who wittily wins over certain NPCs (Anomen *cough*) in every banter
- Character who refuses to speak of his/her past
- Character background/upbringing is unique (demi-vampires, quarter-demons, accidental out-of-worldly creatures, kind-hearted drow etc)
- Character connected to the Shadow Thieves

In Fantasy Fiction:

- Wolf companion/communication with wolves
- Drow

1) Hot, Sexy characters, male or female. If you want to create a straight, gay or bisexual character fine, if you want a romance-able character, cool, but there should be more to the character than the contents of his/her robes and his/her plans for them.

2) Misunderstood Villains/Heroes. Yes, it's a staple of the genre. Yes, it's part of everyone's experience to feel teribly misunderstood, generally from the ages of 10 to 40. It's trite, and it's dull. Why not try a well adjusted adult NPC as a change?

3) Alignments that in no way relate to character behavoir. Reliable, trustworthy NPCs who are Chaotic or Evil, unreliable basket cases who are Lawful, saints who are Neutral, treacherous idiots who are Good. Bioware is just as guilty of this as NPC makers.

4) NPCs who are the real stars of the story. Unfortunately an easy trap to fall into, as every tabletop DM knows. This is CHARNAMES story; an NPC should not be stealing his/her thunder more than once or twice in the game, and certainly should not dominate every single encounter.

5) Uber-powerful rules breaking NPCs. When NPCs are vastly more powerful than CHARNAME, you quickly get to the point of wondering why the heck anyone is interested in him/her.

For non-NPC mods:
1) Uber-Spells and Uber-Items. The easiest trap to fall into, and one I'm guilty of myself. Items do not have to be more vastly powerful to be interesting and worth using, and uber items just make the game even less balanced.

2) Cheating Uber-Monsters. Bioware is guilty of this in TOB, as are many mod makers. These come out of saying "how can I make the encounter a tactical challenge" without also saying "does this make sense in the context of the game world". It is possible to do both, it just takes more work. The related issue is Cheese to Fight Cheese. Yes, players will exploit weaknesses in the AI. Finding ways to stop that by making monsters smarter is Good. Finding ways to stop this by giving infinite copies of spell X to every opponent is Dumb.

3) Assuming reloads. Saying "It's not so hard, just fight the battle 10 or 20 times and you'll figure out the trick" is crap role-playing. It only works if you view BG entirely as a tactical combat game. A smart, cautious player should be able to get through a battle without having to look for the one cheesy tactic that the designer didn't think of.

Locked to prevent the same meandering off topic nature of the last pinned thread ;). If you feel there is something missing here, PM me or Camdawg.

Edited by Shed, 24 May 2005 - 11:20 AM.

#2 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

Thank you again, Ashara, for providing this resource :).

Frequently Occuring Ideas:

1. I want a party with more than 5 joinable party members

Generally the idea is discarded as being technically impossible.

Discussion

2. I would like to make an expansion/romance for a Bioware character
Check out the following links. Though, of course if you are interested in your own vision, rather than that presented in the mods under development or released, you should go for it! ;)

EDWIN
PC romance released at FW: Forum

HAER'DALIS
PC romance in development at Gibberling's Three: Haer'Dalis Romance

IRENICUS
as an NPC for ToB in development at FW: Forum

MAZZY
PC Romance in development:
Forum

Another PC Romance in development: Forum

Mazzy the Paladin Mod: The bigg pack

MINSC
Once upon a time Cliffette, Thanatos and mstanley tried to do Minsc's romance. And other people as well...anyways, it was never done. Discussion thread: Discussion

A fairly developed Minsc Romance mod is looking for someone to take it over. Please, contact Rastor for additional info.

NALIA
PC romance released: Main Page

PC romance in development: de'Arnise Romance

SAREVOK
PC romance/relationship in development at RPG Dungeon Forum

VALYGAR
PC Romance released: Forum

Unfinished Business mod (adds relationship with Suna Seni) released: Forum

Kitanya mod offers an NPC-NPC romance for Valygar, in beta: Forum

VICONIA
Female PC romance/relationship in development at Gibberling's Three:
Forum

NPC/NPC relationship in development at FW in the context of Kivan for BG2 mod: Forum

YOSHIMO
Tortured Souls removes geas/offers an NPC-NPC romance: Forum

Edited by Shed, 24 May 2005 - 12:53 PM.

#3 Shed

Shed

-Shed-

• Modder
  • 2636 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 11:44 AM

If I may echo an observation made by another :):

The key thing is to ask little questions at first. All the wonderful experienced modders around here respond willingly and enthusiastically, and without patronising "newbies" at all, provided questions are framed like "What does this bit of code do?" or "How would I do <INSERT SPECIFIC AIM HERE> in my mod?". However, simply asking "How do I code?" or "Will someone code for me?" will not generally get the response you are hoping for.

The key here is to provide as much information as possible. If your idea is for an NPC, write down his/her/its whole biography, stats, alignment, life-philosophy, race, class, age, reactions to other NPCs etc. The better thought out ideas tend to be detailed, original, and avoid every instance of being a Mary Sue.

You also cannot expect to present an idea and have some passing modder adopt and code it for you. If you are serious about getting the mod made, you will almost certainly have to make it yourself ;). I recommend the Modder Resource Centre as an excellent place to start learning, and if you get stuck, you can always ask for IE Help.

Edited by Shed, 24 May 2005 - 12:00 PM.