• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:18 AM

Okay... the brick wall has got a big enough dent in it. :bash: Can anyone tell me where the game decides that you have completed the De'Arnise Hold quest (killed Torgal) and in future directs you to AR1304 instead of AR1300? I want to do the same trick in my mod....

-Y-

#2 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:12 AM

Nalia's dialog with you when he is dead. She must have a trigger in her personal script looking to see if Dead("Torgal"). Remember that she always says "Die you damn beast!" and then says that she needs to talk to you later. That later is as soon as you walk outside (any exit). So there may be an additional trigger in the area script for her to talk about you taking over the keep. From there, the screen goes black and you are placed into a new area file (inside keep) with the Domo and servants.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#3 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:33 AM

There's a continuous check running in baldur.bcs to see what state Nalia is in (dead or alive plus Torgal dead or alive) plus the personal checks (as you so rightly point out). The one piece of information I can't figure out is how the worldmap knows where to send you.

-Y-

#4 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:30 PM

Easy, if you accept Nalia's stronghold, you CLUA over to AR1306, which is the version of the first floor where the Major Domo is. When you walk outside again, you are now in AR1304. AR1304 and AR1300 are both placed on the map layered on top of each other. What I don't know is how the worldmap deactivates AR1300. It isn't on AR1304's area script, so somehow you have to not be able to ever go back to AR1300 on the map.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#5 --Yovaneth--

--Yovaneth--

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:58 AM

What I don't know is how the worldmap deactivates AR1300

View Post

Aye, and that's the rub....

-Y-

#6 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:13 AM

Did you check the triggers on the map/ area entries and exits? I have never worked with those so I do not really know what I am talking about but I would expect that there are probability checks if you want to enter the D'Arnise stronghold area (that means leaving any of the other areas) whether the change (dead Lord D'Arnise etc.) has taken place and to which area the party should be transferred.

#7 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

Did you check the triggers on the map/ area entries and exits?

View Post

That, I think, is what I'm after - where do I find them, please?

-Y-

#8 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:22 PM

Sorry, I never looked at it myself. All I can do is quote Andyr from his "BGII: Creating forced encounters..., Like the Drizzt one." toturial (that is where I first read about these exit propabilities etc.), hope that helps...

The file WORLDMAP.WMP controls random encounter areas and probabilities. Open it up in Near Infinity, and click on the Edit tab. The bottom field should be called Map Entry 0- click on Edit again.

You should be looking at (well, in my copy of BG2 at least) 13 fields, then 24 named Area Entry x and 164 named Area Link x. The IESDP explains each worldmap area has an Area Entry, and each exit from the area has an Area Link. Looking in the Area Entry for AR1100 (number 7), I see this uses Area Link fields 57-66 (it shows which ones are exits North, South, East and West).

Go examine one of them, and look in the IESDP too.

#9 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:29 PM

What I don't know is how the worldmap deactivates AR1300.

Maybe it doesn't. Maybe AR1304 simply sits over the top of it so it's impossible to click the original.
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#10 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:41 PM

Maybe it doesn't. Maybe AR1304 simply sits over the top of it so it's impossible to click the original.

View Post

Now that's an interesting thought!! :D

-Y-

#11 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:00 AM

View Post

I don't understand: How would the PC get there the first time?

#12 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:21 AM

I don't understand: How would the PC get there the first time?

View Post

Originally only AR1300 is active and when you click, you are directed there. If AR1304 is made active and is placed directly on top of AR1300, each time you click the DeArnise Hold, you will now be clicking on AR1304 and not on AR1300.

-Y-

#13 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 May 2005 - 01:29 AM

Originally only AR1300 is active and when you click, you are directed there. If AR1304 is made active and is placed directly on top of AR1300, each time you click the DeArnise Hold, you will now be clicking on AR1304 and not on AR1300.

View Post

But isn't that the problem you originally had? I don't see the difference... How would you code this activation/deactivation then?

-jastey

#14 Deathsangel

Deathsangel

Living on Wings of Dreams

• Modder
  • 3089 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:25 AM

It depends on what the problem is.

Whether it is about the worldmap. Thus, when travelling on the worldmap how you are sure they go to the right area.

Or that the transition that if you stand outside of the keep the game uses a cutscene to restore the keep and when the blackness 'fades' away the triggers in the map now go to the restored areas and how he places you there.

In my view it is the easiest way to use a script that if a certain GLOBAL was set. The worldmap is refreshed. Causing the picture of the new area to exactly overlap the old one. This should just generally fix the problem. You even might be able to delete the old area, by building up the entire worldmap from the beginning. Thus you give the player the ol map and then immediatly add all the areas he has been to by making checks if they were in the other areas before. Depending on which combo a certain map is given. It is a lot of coding, but in that way I even think you can delete the old map.

As a side question. What mod are you working on Yovaneth

Still modding the Mod for the Wicked... It is a big project you know... And I got sidetracked (several times) a bit... sorry.
However, as we all know, Evil never really sleeps.

Sentences marking (my) life:

Winds of change... Endure them, and in Enduring grow Stronger
It takes a fool to look for logic in a man's heart
Never question the sanity of the insane
The Harmony of Life is Chaos
Living on Wings of Dreams

(1st march 2009) SHS women over me:
Kat: if there were more guys that looked like you out here, people's offspring wouldnt be so damn ugly
Noctalys: you are adorable :P

~~ I love it, and I am humbled! Yay! ~~

#15 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:44 AM

But isn't that the problem you originally had? I don't see the difference... How would you code this activation/deactivation then?

Why bother de-activating the old one if you can't click it?

#16 --jastey--

--jastey--

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

View Post

But you can click it - the first time you go there (after accepting Nalia's quest) and if you leave the area and come back

#17 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

And if there's another icon over the top of it?

#18 --again jastey--

--again jastey--

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:27 AM

View Post

But you can click it - the first time you go there (after accepting Nalia's quest) and if you leave the area and come back

View Post

..before you finished the quest. I obviously pressed some button before finishing the post, sorry.

Or aren't we talking about the D'Arnise area any more?

#19 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:29 AM

And if there's another icon over the top of it?

View Post

That doesn't help me understand your point, sorry. Then the icon has to be deactivated after the change, öeading to the same problem...?

#20 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:42 AM

Why does the icon need to be deactivated? If there are two icons in exactly the same place, you can only be clicking one of them, not both. If the new one takes precedence, who cares what's underneath it?