AR1300 - AR1304

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 SimDing0

SimDing0

GROUP ICON

• 1654 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:34 AM

And all this having been said, are you all SURE there isn't a HideAreaOnMap action hidden somewhere?
Repeating cycle of pubes / no pubes.

A Comprehensive Listing of IE Mods

#22 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 06:48 AM

I think Sim is right. When I built out a Worldmap for BGT-BP, there are two maps for the keep and two for the ruins (shadows area). The first area gets revealed to you through a dialog with someone. The other area is greyed out on the map, so you can only go to one. After a script moves you to the second area, it now sits on top of the first one. Therefore, when you click on the map, you will only go to the area laying on the top of the map (which is always the second icon). When building the map, I had to make sure each icon was exactly on top of the other one so you only see one on your map. Candlekeep is done this way also in BG1 and BGT.

Even if it was possible to move to the wrong map, you can always add some code to the area that says to move the party to the other map each time they enter. If I remember right, the Shadow Lord has this in the area script so that you move from AR1400 to AR1403 (night time map to day time map).

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#23 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:07 AM

But isn't that the problem you originally had? I don't see the difference... How would you code this activation/deactivation then?

View Post

Nope - I haven't got that far yet! :D I think a good illustration may be this; put a book on the table and tap it with your finger. Pretend the book is AR1300 and your finger is the mouse-click. Now put another book on top of the first and call it ar1304... tap that. You can only click on the top book - there is no follow-through to the bottom one. The same applies to the two areas - if ar1304 is on top of ar1300, then ar1300 will not be activated by clicking on ar1304. You cannot click-through two objects; only the top one will ever receive the mouse action.

Now, if anyone says you can click-through Windows tooltips - you can't and you don't. If a tooltip is active and Windows picks up a mouseclick on that tooltip, it translates the click co-ordinates to the object directly below the clicked area of the tooltip. Sh!te way of working.

-Y-

#24 jastey

jastey
  • Administrator
  • 3218 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

Am I sitting on my brain or what? I do understand the thing with the two areas above each other, so that it is only possible to click the one that is above. So, please, someone explain to me how it is possible to reach the area underneath in first place - repeatedly by clicking as long as the quest is not finished?

Or are we talking about placing the second area on top after the quest is finished?

Anyone seeing my problem in understanding? :unsure:

#25 Idobek

Idobek

Pocket Plane Gibberling

• 429 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

There is a scripting command "RevealAreaOnMap()", until that is invoked the area on top is hidden and inaccessable.

As Sim already mentioned, there is also a "HideAreaOnMap()".

Edited by Idobek, 26 May 2005 - 11:47 AM.

#26 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

And all this having been said, are you all SURE there isn't a HideAreaOnMap action hidden somewhere?

View Post

Goddammit!!! Did you enjoy writing that Sim? (I would have :D :D :D )

As a side question. What mod are you working on Yovaneth

I've been quietly working away since last October on an on-and-off basis on my own. There's one new main area and a whole load of new smaller ones - stitched together out of existing IE areas and modified with PhotoShop of course (I'm not that clever!). You'll have seen bits of it in the DLTCEP tutorials; the need to learn DLTCEP to create the mod in turn led to the tutorials. I don't expect a release date anytime soon at all: talking to Hlid I guessed at about a year.

-Y-

#27 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:15 PM

Or are we talking about placing the second area on top after the quest is finished?

View Post

Well, revealing the second area after the quest is finished... and hiding the first one! :) Although what I said holds true for Windows, it seems that the Infinity Engine has a better way of doing it. I prefer hide'n'reveal to translating co-ordinates.

<mutters loudly about self: Damn!! Stupid Yovaneth!! Must read the action.ids file more closely next time :crying: :blush: >

-Y-

#28 -jastey_happy-

-jastey_happy-

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

Ahhh, now I understood. Thank you for the explanations!

And phew am I glad it is *not* my first idea - way too much work.

#29 Ghreyfain

Ghreyfain
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:21 PM

To think, all this could've been avoided if you'd merely looked through NaliaJ.dlg.

State 165 leads to this action block:

SetGlobal("PCKeepOwner","GLOBAL",1)
SetGlobal("PlayerHasStronghold","GLOBAL",1)
RevealAreaOnMap("AR1304")
HideAreaOnMap("AR1300")
StartCutSceneMode()
StartCutScene("Cut32a")

#30 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:16 AM

How do I admit I lost interest part-way through checking that dialog...... :blush: It did turn into an intersting thread though! :D

-Y-