"Baldur's Goth II"

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 Sidhe

Sidhe

Unseelie

• 142 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

How about some minus the black lippy? ;)

Loving this thread though :D
And he said:

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so you must know pain.

~Kahlil Gibran
The Prophet

#22 discharger12

discharger12

SHS's [un]official spammer!

• 759 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:39 PM

The Goth Yan's eyeshadow looks more like a bruise.

But everything besides that small bit is wonderful. :)
Defunct, but r teh rly, lol: Tork NPC, WOWCAAVB?, Barbados NPC, Anti-Ding0 Chinchilla NPC, Attack of the Bears!

No. No, they really are defunct.

#23 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:43 PM

You should change some of the lip colours to deep purples, perhaps try a white on one or two (as Sidhe pointed out). I think the black makes all of them looks very similar...like they've been kissing each other with black lipstick on!

But I think an Alternate Goth Portrait Pack is not beyond you!

Good work!
A knight without armour in a savage land...

#24 Sidhe

Sidhe

Unseelie

• 142 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:20 AM

Pft red is the only goth lip colour! (well... it's the only lip colour I wear ;))
And he said:

Your pain is the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding. Even as the stone of the fruit must break, that its heart may stand in the sun, so you must know pain.

~Kahlil Gibran
The Prophet

#25 Ismail

Ismail

Squirrel Pride Worldwide!

• 423 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:29 AM

Sarevok looks more like wearing corpsepaint, but that's not a bad thing.
Lahinguväljal joome, raisk!

#26 Rabain

Rabain

God

• 653 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 03:52 AM

Pft red is the only goth lip colour! (well... it's the only lip colour I wear ;))

View Post

Sidhe = Goth ? cool (though I should have guessed from the name)

*Waits for Goth Sidhe portrait* :D

Edited by Rabain, 28 May 2005 - 03:53 AM.

A knight without armour in a savage land...

#27 Erephine

Erephine

leit aš lķfi

• 1912 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:44 AM

Baldur's Goth II: die Industrie von Amn

(because Goth MUST be in German and it MUST have the word "Industrie" in it :P )

Very nice work with all of those. Gothicize others, too!

View Post

Your every wish shall come true. ^.^

Posted Image

:lol:

崇高滑稽
·

#28 Ismail

Ismail

• 423 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 06:52 AM

View Post

pfft. black is just as goth. And that's not just because that's what I use :P

:lol: @Lightspeed. That's some good shiiite! :thumb:

#29 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:25 AM

Do I smell a mod coming out of this? :P

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#30 AstraKiseki

AstraKiseki
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

Also, I just finished with Anomen. D'you think I over-did the paleness on him?

Posted Image

View Post

A little bit too pale. I actually liked the original, but it's decent. It just means that I'll be grinning when I see Anomen as a goth. I think just giving darker clothes would have been nice... *shrugs*

Soooo, no problem!
Everyone lives in a fantasy, we're just more obvious than others.

Ano-kun wa kawaii desu yo!

Tired of thief-mages? How about trying out a wide-eyed young man more than a few picklocks up his sleeve?

Parn Celoair

#31 Erephine

Erephine

leit aš lķfi

• 1912 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:12 AM

PM me if you want a MOS for your override folder.

It should work directly from there, without requiring any other artwork to be customized. :)

崇高滑稽
·

#32 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

I'm thinking a "Baldur's Goth II"-mod with all portraits and the MOS would be cool. ;)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#33 Ismail

Ismail

• 423 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:27 AM

hmm... yes, I can see that one happening... Combichrist as battle music, Sephiroth (the Swedish dark ambient project), Raison D'Etre and Mortiis for lovetalks (perhaps the Crüxshadows for Anomen)... Cernd still as quiet, but more brooding. Imoen can still be perky... but a little psycho perky.

ooh yeah... :ph34r: me,you got me on the creative... :P

#34 Dymphna

Dymphna
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

@Lightspeed
Fantastic! :thumb:

@Everyone

I'm experimenting with the lips now. Here's what I've got so far:

Viconia

Mazzy

Korgan

Keldorn

Jan

Jaheira

Haer'Dalis

Cernd

And here's one Anomen with edited lips only...

Anomen

...and here's another one with a darker armour!

Darker Anomen

Tell me if something needs to be changed/added and I'll do it ASAP!

(The Baldur's Goth II-mod idea sounds terrific. :D )

#35 AstraKiseki

AstraKiseki
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

Edited Anomen: Much better. :love:

And, I would be willing to assist in this mad-cap plot. After all, the only difference in between genius and madness is acceptance.

It just came to me... Don't you think the dark-skinned characters would still have their skin color? I can just imagine Imoen and Viconia bickering over who is more 'gothic.'
Everyone lives in a fantasy, we're just more obvious than others.

Ano-kun wa kawaii desu yo!

Tired of thief-mages? How about trying out a wide-eyed young man more than a few picklocks up his sleeve?

Parn Celoair

#36 Child

Child

The new day is a great big fish.

• 233 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:05 PM

Edited Anomen: Much better.  :love:

And, I would be willing to assist in this mad-cap plot.  After all, the only difference in between genius and madness is acceptance.

It just came to me... Don't you think the dark-skinned characters would still have their skin color?  I can just imagine Imoen and Viconia bickering over who is more 'gothic.'

View Post

I'm not sure how much my opinion counts for, being not in any way a goth, but i think the purple lips just looks silly....tbh the ones that the lips look good on are: Viconia, Mazzy, and the lips-only Anomen...and the darker anomen is very cool as well :D
Hmmm.......can't you make the characters simply more brooding.....psychotic-perky Imoen doesn't sound so mcuh fun..and wouldn't that involve changing her alignment? Surely u can have non-evil goths (?)
-C

Dovienya se sagain tovya

Sene sovya caba'donde ain dovienya

#37 Erephine

Erephine

leit aš lķfi

• 1912 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

Dymphna... I hope you don't mind me taking your Cernd edit as an example.

Some general advice on goth-izing portraits... to get things look more... "natural"? :lol:

Posted Image

The important factor in adjusting the skin tone is not only the overal brightness, but also (almost more importantly) the "saturation". Basically, what you're aiming for is a very pale complexion, unnaturally pale in fact.

Now, what I've found works pretty well is the following "goth-izing" process (you may have to adapt, as this is Photoshop-based). The small tweaks I applied (from left to right):

Skin Tone
- The image to the very left is the original image (or, in this case, the current version of it). Open that in Photoshop and create a new layer.
- Use the paintbrush tool and blacken out all parts of visible skin (i.e. so you can only see eyes, hair, clothes and background.) Use a smooth brush so the edges are soft and covered pretty well.
- When you're done, use "Load Selection" from the "Select" menu, and choose that layer's transparency. Click the original layer and use copy & paste to drop the selection into a new layer. Delete the black layer you created.
- You'll now have a seperate layer with only the skin in it, directly over the original image (so everything should look exactly as you started out).
Now adjust that layer with hue/saturation, until you have the proper skin "tone" - don't adjust the hue, altering the saturation will do. To adjust the brightness do not use the luminosity or brightness/contrast tools, but "Adjust Levels" instead.
- You should see three "input levels" (0, 1.00, 255). You can adjust those until the skin brightness and reflection look properly. In our case, this means to raise the first two values until you get the desired effect; however feel free to experiment, you can live-preview it until it's "right", so there's no need to worry about breaking anything, aye?

Don't worry! Sounds a bit confusing (because I really can't explain <_< ), but is actually quite simple. And even better; everything that's left to adjust are the small details ^.^

Lips
- Select the lips on the original layer and paste them into a new layer. Adjust colour, brightness/contrast and saturation to your liking. We've already had the proper colour here, so obviously I haven't touched anything.
- However, the colour on the lips normally reflects the light differently than the skin underneath. If you darken the lips, they tend to end up looking "dull" and unreflective because of that. In order to "fix" the problem, simply duplicate the layer you've created for them, and use "Adjust Levels" again. Lower the second and third "input level" until you have a very harsh effect - the saturation should be absolutely, and you should have a mostly black lip colour, with only the reflection in bright pink (in this case). Now set that additional layer's blending to "Screen".
- You'll notice the bright reflections are now blended on the coloured lips, which gives them kind of a glossy effect. You'll have to re-adjust the saturation on the layer you just adjusted to avoid a "bright pink" reflection. You can also play around with Brightness/Contrast and/or transparency until you're satisfied with the result.

And last thing I did...

Eye Shadow
- What generally looks best for this one is to create a new layer, setting its blending to "Soft Light" and then slowly adding it in with a black paintbrush at around 10% opacity. This gives you maximum control over where to exactly add how much. The "Soft Light" blending generates a more or less natural shadowed look. Feel free to experiment with different blending modes and layer transparency, though ^_^

And of course, if you want to edit armour colours and background, now would be the perfect time to do just that, hmm? :^^:

崇高滑稽
·

#38 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:22 AM

Do I smell a mod coming out of this? :P

View Post

I certainly hope so :) .

My idea of a mod would be something like this:

You start out with a "Goth PC", a nice dark portrait and an Evil Alignment. (Also with the personality of an Drow Matron Mother combined with a mad Warlord who want to take over the world... :blink: )

The trick is that your NPC's start out normal, but that you edit the normal events in the game with extra dialog and banters to "convince" your party to turn more darkly. It should take some time with a nice long proces and slowly turning into something more evil, kinda like turning Dark Side in Kotor.

Sounds like fun, no? :rolleyes:
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#39 Ismail

Ismail

• 423 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:12 AM

Hmmm.......can't you make the characters simply more brooding.....psychotic-perky Imoen doesn't sound so mcuh fun..and wouldn't that involve changing her alignment? Surely u can have non-evil goths (?)

View Post

sure you can have non-evil goths. But isn't the idea to have a GOTHIC game, instead of a game with some goths? We still eat bread and butter like the guy next door (for most of us; I'm kinda community-person :P ), it's the ideas that are different :devil:

but yes... I can PC and Aerie pronouncing undying love by mixing blood... literally :P

Uhh.. nevermind, I'd say, I've hung around my nutcase friend a bit too much... :ph34r:

#40 Jenova

Jenova

Professional Hypocrite

• 156 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:00 AM

but yes... I can PC and Aerie pronouncing undying love by mixing blood...  literally :P

There is someting really disturbing in that thought :blink:
"...whenever people arguing on the same theory do not reach the same conclusion, you may be sure they do not know what they are talking about."
--Hippocrates

Writer for Brotherhood of Quill, new BG2 mod by Forgotten Demigod!

Can I have a bite, please?