Photo

Persistence Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 May 2005 - 08:18 PM

Been away from this for a bit...computer crash...other projects....real life ;)

Anyway my PC lives again and I have just gotten a fresh v11 install up and running. This is going to sound like an extremely stupid question, but are things like character locations supposed to be written out to the db to survive server restarts?

If I create a character, explore 3 or 4 areas and then logoff, shouldnt my char be in the same spot it was when I left, even after a server shutdown/restart?

Just want to make sure I have this all working right. What survives a server shutdown and restart? What does not?

:blink:

Thanks
./Dingo

#2 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 03:17 PM

tap-tap-tap...this thing on? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

:huh:

#3 qeylIS [Kahless]

qeylIS [Kahless]
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:07 PM

Been away from this for a bit...computer crash...other projects....real life  ;)

Anyway my PC lives again and I have just gotten a fresh v11 install up and running.  This is going to sound like an extremely stupid question, but are things like character locations supposed to be written out to the db to survive server restarts?

If I create a character, explore 3 or 4 areas and then logoff, shouldnt my char be in the same spot it was when I left, even after a server shutdown/restart?

Just want to make sure I have this all working right.  What survives a server shutdown and restart?  What does not?

:blink:

Thanks
./Dingo

View Post

Greetings!

During the same server-session, the chars should get to the leaving-location when re-entering Nordock.

After a server-crash / reboot, our chars all start at the gateway - suspecting we have an error too. :crying:

#4 --Leutian Kane--

--Leutian Kane--

Posted 30 May 2005 - 02:22 AM

tap-tap-tap...this thing on?  Anyone? Bueller?  Bueller?

View Post

no noone has an error the only way that a characters location survives a server / reboot/ restart/ crash is if you use persistant location which unless horred has added this (looking thru the mod i didnt find the code for it so im guessing he didnt) you should all start out in the gateway after a reset./reboot/crash unless you were dead then you will start out in the gateway and more than likely go to the "holding area" for dead souls until such a time as you are brought back to life.

now by no means am i an expert on this thing yet... still sifting thru a lot of it but unless horred states otherwise that he added persistant locations starting in the gateway past server reboot, reset, crash etc is completely normal.

#5 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

tap-tap-tap...this thing on?  Anyone? Bueller?  Bueller?

View Post

no noone has an error the only way that a characters location survives a server / reboot/ restart/ crash is if you use persistant location which unless horred has added this (looking thru the mod i didnt find the code for it so im guessing he didnt) you should all start out in the gateway after a reset./reboot/crash unless you were dead then you will start out in the gateway and more than likely go to the "holding area" for dead souls until such a time as you are brought back to life.

now by no means am i an expert on this thing yet... still sifting thru a lot of it but unless horred states otherwise that he added persistant locations starting in the gateway past server reboot, reset, crash etc is completely normal.

View Post

Is this an error or by design? If by design, is there a way to add this in? An add on / script / database call, whatever...?

I thought in prev versions when I tested this, it worked "right"

Edited by dingosatemybaby, 30 May 2005 - 03:19 PM.

#6 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:12 PM

Here's the deal...

Persisent locations are used. Whenever I start one of my old pc's on my own server, they go to where they last left off (as in, after total reboot). On other's server, I sometimes do, but most of the time start back in the gateway. Why? I have no clue why it works flawlessly on mine and not on others' servers. And until I can figure out why, I can't do anything about it.

#7 dingosatemybaby

dingosatemybaby
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:59 AM

Here's the deal...

Persisent locations are used. Whenever I start one of my old pc's on my own server, they go to where they last left off (as in, after total reboot). On other's server, I sometimes do, but most of the time start back in the gateway. Why? I have no clue why it works flawlessly on mine and not on others' servers. And until I can figure out why, I can't do anything about it.

View Post

Fair enough. Is this something I can poke at myself (and probably break ha ha). Where would I look? Can you point me at the relevant scripts/widgets/whatever?

Thanks in advance...

#8 qeylIS [Kahless]

qeylIS [Kahless]
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:06 AM

Fair enough.  Is this something I can poke at myself (and probably break ha ha).  Where would I look?  Can you point me at the relevant scripts/widgets/whatever?

Thanks in advance...

View Post

I am also very interested in this topic!

Would be nice, if our heroes must not start at the gateway every time we reboot the server (once a day) :whistling: