Photo

Replayability & Mod Properties

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you often "replay" NPC mods, and if so why? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you often "replay" NPC mods, and if so why?

1. Very rarely (if ever) replay an NPC mod after I've tried it once. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Replay only to try different NPC combinations for different banters. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Replay only if the mod offers something special, like different personality/quest/relationship routes. (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Replay only if there is a new version with significant extra content. (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

5. Replay only if there is a new version, and the mod has lots of different NPC banters AND special reasons to replay (i.e. 2, 3 & 4 above). (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

6. I might replay if I really enjoy the NPC mod, even if not much new to expect after the first time. (14 votes [46.67%])

Percentage of vote: 46.67%

7. Definitely replay the mod if I like it first time through! (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

Order of Radiant Ugliness

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:49 PM

After posting in the Chrysta Developer Diary about our plans to use "Adaptive Banters" in the Chrysta Mod, I have to admit that I am curious about how people view NPC mods in terms of how and why they replay them.

This poll is really just to satisfy my curiosity rather than being designed to have any input into the Chrysta mod, so please feel free to wax lyrical about what makes a mod "replayable" in your mind - or, for that matter, have a rant about what would turn you off or irritate you to such an extent that you would not consider playing it again.

Would it require NPC banters of such quality that you would feel compelled to play again with different NPCs just to experience them? Or would the mod need to offer something different, such as an NPC with a personality that can be so influenced by the PC that it would almost be a completely different game if you influenced them differently on a second run-through? On the other hand, are you the type to eagerly play through an NPC mod half a dozen times or more just because you have enjoyed it so much... and if so, why?

Hehe - nosey sod, aren't I? :D

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

"Pity the land in need of Heroes."- Bertolt Brecht
"A little madness, now and then, is relished by the wisest men." - Willy Wonka

#2 Lord Ernie

Lord Ernie
  • Modder
  • 755 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:37 PM

Option #6. Don't ask me why, but I tend to play through the NPC mods that I like a fair number of times, even when there's nothing new, or very little, new. I don't even always take a new path, or choose another response, either. I can't figure out why myself, as I usually tend to get sick of the same thing over and over quite quickly. BG2 (and mods) seems to be an exception to that rule.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world - Oscar Wilde

Give a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. But set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

#3 xaos_bob

xaos_bob
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

I have to say 5 1/2. I always appreciate more content, but really, if a character is fun and compelling just because of who they are, they may become indispensible. Minsc of the original crew is an excellent example, and the reason I have yet to attempt an "evil" game in either Baldur's Gate. Well, he's a tank, too, but I love having him and Boo at CHARNAME's side. Even without tons of banter or side-quests or special whatsits, if the character is cool--really accessible and likeable--then the character is replayable.

#4 Miss Sakaki

Miss Sakaki

Modder

• Modder
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:54 AM

I voted for 6. If a character interests me, they tend to become a staple of my party, and I like to replay them with different people in the party too in order to see how they react to different NPCs. For instance, I've had Kelsey in my group virtually every time I've played since downloading him, despite the fact that there wasn't anything new.

#5 Aion

Aion

Soul Of Magma

• 505 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:06 AM

Either the bottom option or the one above that.

#6 Sillara

Sillara

He made me love him without looking at me.

• 537 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:09 PM

I replay the mods I like. I often play several different parties simultaneously, just to make sure I can include the NPCs I like. :^^: Jaheira is nearly always in my party, just because I like her. I play with Fade often, not to mention my own NPCs. So, yes, I replay just because I like the personality of the NPC, even if there is nothing new there.

Sillara
Check out my RPG forum!

#7 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:59 AM

So, yes, I replay just because I like the personality of the NPC, even if there is nothing new there.

Me too! <puts a protective arm around Saerileth> :)

KACH_TS.jpg Chrysta... could helping her to uncover her past threaten your own future?

#8 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:05 AM

So, yes, I replay just because I like the personality of the NPC, even if there is nothing new there.

Me too! <puts a protective arm around Saerileth> :)

View Post

<Feanor slaps Sir K over his hand.>
She is mine ! You cannot compete. :devil: :P

BTW, I chose version 6. If I like a character, he will be in my party again for sure.

Edited by Feanor, 14 June 2005 - 01:06 AM.

#9 Panda BladeMaster

Panda BladeMaster
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:57 AM

I like to go through the game several times with the NPC with differnet characters just so I can explore all of the different dialogues they have. But if they are really intresting then I always keep them with me with every game.

Yasraena rules!!!! :) :) :)

#10 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:06 AM

Yasraena rules!!!!  :)  :)  :)

View Post

Unfortunately, she does not love the PC... :P

#11 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:08 AM

Unfortunately, she does not love the PC...  :P

[Bait-Feanor]Suits me just fine... me and Saerileth are perfectly happy without her :hug: [/Bait-Feanor]

#12 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:43 AM

Unfortunately, she does not love the PC...  :P

[Bait-Feanor]Suits me just fine... me and Saerileth are perfectly happy without her :hug: [/Bait-Feanor]

View Post

Not that Yasraena would stand a chance in a competition with Saerileth for my affections... I wonder if I can convince her that Sir Kalthorine of Wistan is in fact a secret agent of Cyric infiltrated among the paladins of Tyr... :whistling: :devil:

#13 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:06 AM

Not that Yasraena would stand a chance in a competition with Saerileth for my affections... I wonder if I can convince her that Sir Kalthorine of Wistan is in fact a secret agent of Cyric infiltrated among the paladins of Tyr...  :whistling:  :devil:

Or indeed that the Elven gentleman vying for her affection is responsible for a terrible Oath that led directly to the massacre of tens of thousands of Elves and Humans, and all because of the theft of an item of jewellery... say, Saerileth, thats a pretty necklace you are wearing, I wonder where Feanor got it from? :devil:

Hehe... OK, I will allow you one more OT response before I will demand that this thread get back on topic! :)

#14 Feanor

Feanor

The Elven Lord

• 1808 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:04 PM

Hehe... OK, I will allow you one more OT response before I will demand that this thread get back on topic! 

Ok, Sir K.

Serious arguments :

Or indeed that the Elven gentleman vying for her affection is responsible for a terrible Oath that led directly to the massacre of tens of thousands of Elves and Humans

1. Well, the war was already started when Feanor came to Beleriand, Thingol's people being previously attacked by Melkor's troups. The oath was not a smart thing to do, but it can be blamed only for foiling the elves attempts to work together, not for the war itself.

and all because of the theft of an item of jewellery...

2. Ehh, you seem to forget that the attack on Formenos was an act of war. Practically, the tolkienesque equivalent of the attack from Pearl Harbour.

3. If the valars had not been so gullible, this would not have happened. And if Manwe can make such grievous errors, what can you ask from Feanor.

Less serious arguments :

4. Fortunately, Saerileth never heard of Lord of the Rings. :P So, the "elven gentleman" can play innocent. :whistling: And, anyway, he has redeemed himself. :P

Edited by Feanor, 15 June 2005 - 11:05 PM.

#15 nethrin

nethrin
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 01:56 AM

OT post! :P

(I never post here...)
Let the Realms' wizards beware: Kindrek is here!
Natha jalil s'lat'halin vel'uss shlu'ta mir ilta ehmtu xuil l' prollussk. Il zhah Yasraena.
How's about we go sort out a few chavs with Willie Bruce?
Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt Saerileth's love.

#16 Sir Kalthorine

Sir Kalthorine

• Modder
  • 2188 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:14 AM

OT post!  :P

(I never post here...)

View Post

Tsk... such a spammer! :rolleyes: